Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So many fly rods - HELP!

1. Question So many fly rods - HELP!

Hi everyone,

While I’m new to this forum, I'm not that new to fly fishing. I would however still consider myself to be a novice-to-intermediate angler. I’ve been fishing for about 4 years now but only get to enjoy the pleasures of this fine sport about 2/3 times a year. I'm looking to upgrade my rod to either a Stealth Magnum or the Xplorer Guide Series - both 5wt, 8.5/9 ft. I believe the Stealth is a fast action rod but I'm not sure what the Xplorer is. I think I'd prefer a mid-flex rod as it’s obviously the most versatile. Does anyone know what action the Xplorer is and in addition, would anyone be able to recommend either of the rods? Alternatively, would anyone be able to recommend another rod with the above specs in a similar price range?

Any help would be much appreciated.

i would reckon the explorer is a medium fast action.it is a good buy for the price.rather contact your local dealer and they could help.maybe even let you cast it before you buy it.
    stephen is wishing he was fishing location x right now.......

Stephen Smith

I have a Guide Series 7wt. It's very lekker. I've casted both and prefer the Guide to the magnum.

Everyone probably knows what I'm gonna say next but I'll say it anyway:

If you want a very lekker med-fast action rod, check out the Vision 3zone. It's a very lekker rod and at about a grand should be in the same price range as the other two rods.

for details and stockists check out www.pttrading.co.za

Another option is the TFO.

Give Terry at Fishing Owl a ring, he'll beable to point you in the right direction.
    27 011 894 4348
    www.fishingowl.co.za
    Daryl Human

The solution to any problem -- work, love, money, whatever -- is to go fishing, and the worse the problem, the longer the trip should be. --John Gierach

I would stick to the 9 foot rod, as it is more verisitile, and is generaly easier to get a bit more distance on.

I would spend a little time casting both sticks, but also try others, there is more out there than just those 2 brands.
    Mike McKeown

You're either fishing or waiting...

I have cast the Stealth Magnum and it casts like a dream, really lekker to cast... it was a friends rod so didnt get to fight a fish, but i recon it is a leker rod...

If you are in Jo'Burg think about the Horizon XRS 5wt from Frontier in Bryanston... it is an awesome rod and very reasonably priced for its qualities... it has been designed for yellows on the Vaal, but it casts like a beaut and for trout it is superb...

cheers

Quote Originally Posted by JamesW View Post
    I have cast the Stealth Magnum and it casts like a dream, really lekker to cast... it was a friends rod so didnt get to fight a fish, but i recon it is a leker rod...

If you are in Jo'Burg think about the Horizon XRS 5wt from Frontier in Bryanston... it is an awesome rod and very reasonably priced for its qualities... it has been designed for yellows on the Vaal, but it casts like a beaut and for trout it is superb...

cheers
    Here are 3 that I would recommend, all three have lifetime guarantees, and work superbly, there are others, but the value of the guarantee, is what holds my attention… also they are readily available.

1. Rico’s St Croix Avid’s, custom built, Lifetime Guarantee, Great All-round Stick, First choice…
    2. Redington’s, Lifetime Guarantee, Great All-round Stick, Second choice…
    3. Temple Fork Outfitters, also some great sticks…

There are more, but here is what I think you should look out for…

There is another thread on the site where quite a lot of this is discussed…

http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/showthread.php?t=142
    Mike McKeown

Gogga Banned User

I'm afraid I cant really help you with specific SA rods other than to say that I have a Stealth Magnum + 12 weight - Snapped the rod on a 40 lb King Salmon - asked stealth what they where going to do about a replacement and havent heard a word from them since - so I don't trust any guarantees from them at all.

The Redington CPS rods are brilliant, great after sales service and a fantastic rod (owned by sage by the way) for Salt work a nine weight is a fantastic all rounder.

Tfo Rods are great work horses - The new super fast TiCr X Series is a nice rod, good for salt and I think is good value for money.

St Croix rods are generally good rods as well - they have a very loyal following out here and many guys use them.

The Guideline LPXe-RS Fly Rod built in Scandinavia is also a fantastic rod - if you have a agent out there test one - you will like it.

And not withstanding the obvious Sage Xi2's are fantastic but you also pay plenty.

Orvis T3 and Zero G rods are good value rods - simply because their warranty service is unbeatable.

All the best
    Mike

Flyfishing Insider recently did a review of 13 9ft 6wt "mid-priced rods". By that they mean rods that sell for between US$200 and US$400. Not sure if this is within your budget.

The TFO TiCr was head and shoulders above the opposition and was one of the cheapest rods. I have not cast one myself but sounds like superb value.

This is for 6wts not 5wts, but should give some idea.

Article HERE

Ranking:
    1. Temple Fork Outfitters Lefty Kreh TiCr Signature Series - $210
    2. G. Loomis Streamdance Metolius High Line Speed - $385
    3. Sage Fli - $295
    4. St. Croix Legend Ultra Fly $310
    5. Sage VT2 - $400
    6. Redington CPS - $279
    7. Orvis TLS Power Matrix - $325
    8. Scott V2 - $195
    9. Redington RS3 Series - $199
    10. St. Croix Avid Series - $230
    11. Powell TiMax - $279
    12. Winston Vapor - $279
    13. Cabelas FT Series - $270
    Last edited by KevinE; 01-12-06 at 11:13 AM.

That is a great little read...
    Mike McKeown

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast