Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Dyes

Quote Originally Posted by Jason View Post
    Howzit Byron. I found the mag...WOOHOOOOOOO
    I scanned the pages and attached them at the bottom. The image quality is not great because I had to bring the file size down to fit on the site. It's still legible though. I hope this helps.
    ps. if at all possible save the images to your pc and then zoom them to be able to read the pics. If this does not work I can e-mail you the originals if you would prefer.
    But if this will dye feathers........normal "janie verjaar koeldrank" should also work well!?

Quote Originally Posted by chris williams View Post
    We also had a big thing on dyes about 6 or 8 months back if you go back through 'Search'.
    Thanks Chris - while I'm also a big fan of the search function it doesn't always help.

What I tend find is that the most valuable info about dye (for example) will probably be in a thread about the fish river because at some point in the convo everyone got side tracked when someone started chatting about this new fly he used which is made of this very rare dyed dubbing.... Now you search for it and it lists a thread about the Fish river and you have to dig through thirty pages of fish river till you find the two very valuable posts about rare dyes.

It's easier to ask and hope that if someone know where this info is they post the link to the random thread about the Fish river (and dye), cos they were in that convo and remember what transpired.

Quote Originally Posted by C J View Post
    But if this will dye feathers........normal "janie verjaar koeldrank" should also work well!?
    Yeah we have the stuff that comes in tiny bottles - think it is call sweet aid. 1ml make 40 000 litres type stuff - gets the kids all messed up on tartrazine and sucrose... and we get stressed when they start smoking weed at school, really this stuff starts at home... what were we talking about?

Quote Originally Posted by Byron View Post
    Yeah we have the stuff that comes in tiny bottles - think it is call sweet aid. 1ml make 40 000 litres type stuff - gets the kids all messed up on tartrazine and sucrose... and we get stressed when they start smoking weed at school, really this stuff starts at home... what were we talking about?
    WOAH!!!!!HA HA HA haaaaa. he he....sigh*

Ja.... the drink o' pop stuff is what i used. There are various other brands around that should work equally well. Apparently the sugar free ones are better though.

Quote Originally Posted by Byron View Post
    No wonder you can't find the search site or whateve rit's called!!!

No wonder you can't find the search site or whateve rit's called!!!
    i can't find what i search for because i asked about dye and new we are talking about drugs

You'll dye if you take drugs..

You'll dye if you take drugs..
    You'll dye if you make another lame joke like that

I used to dye a lot of stuff when I was a kid because then we only really had natural material available through hunting or shooting mates.

Dyeing is a totally different operation to bleaching using different ingredients (I prefer Rit as I've a mate who's made up a range of colour permutations for various types of tying materials). I've used Dylon as well with great results, especially for a slightly different application of dyeing old shirts, shorts, hats an olive/khaki colour. If you want any special colour for any special tying material let me know and I should have a recipe on file somewhere in my bedroom which houses that section of my ffishing library! Rather like when blending furs, when dyeing material keep a sample taped to a piece of paper with the exact recipe used. Sounds nerdy but extremely useful when trying a repeat jobbie.

I had a complete nerd loose-leaf file of same up to about 20 years ago when some thug decided to steal it along with the tip of a Hardy split cane rod from my garage. The fact he left about twenty other rods and a whole load of reels meant he was probably just some simple flyfisher wanting a matt-coloured tip section for his Hardy...

To bleach hair/bucktail, yet another Yankee product came to the fore. My mum's hairdresser used to sell Clairol products. Don't worry, I used to be a natural blond before my hair self-bleached and started to emigrate from my pate..

Hair/bucktail by it's coarseness takes a bit longer to bleach and needs a bit more TLC. I havn't tried this trick for years and the exact Clairol product may have some trendy new name under the Hillary or Beckham brand but hgere's a rough idea:

Basically you need a subtle hydrogen peroxide (yawn!). Clairoxide is/was the general product, manufactured surprisingly enough by Clairol. To be effective it's easiest to cut bits of the hide into what I call here 4WD chunks (approx 4 x 4 inch chunks otherwise in bigger bulk lots gets 'hidden' in the process). You dunk the required chunks in a large jam jar or equivalent and you need leave this for at least 12 hours, probably 24 at best. Obviously you need rinse the fur totally afterwards and wearing Swambo's rubber gloves from the sex sction in your bedroom ffishing library is advisable. Clairol also had a White Booster (Obama-unfriendly) which accelerated this process.

My daughter knows all the places where the dyes and I guess updated bleaches are for sale around the Bryanston/Randburg area close to you. Come to my bedroom (Werner tried it once - not yet on my daughter! - and he got scared off to my other flyfishing sections in my shack..) and I'll show you my etchings as well!!!

Chris - super advice thanks. I was thinking the same thing about cutting up a tail and testing on smaller bits before I wreck the whole thing.

Alternately we could tape a couple to your pip and go down to the local hairdresser and make the bleaching problem hers. You might even make Riaan Cruywagen look old with new bucktail mop.

I'll ask my sister for her advice on bleach - her hair changes colour like Britney Spears has mood swings.

Re: Rubber gloves, I learnt the importance of having a few pairs of these handy after I chopped up some chillies the other night, no matter how many times you scrub your nails it still burns when you take a pee... Unfortunately the sex section of my bedroom is limited to leather and chain - I don't like the way rubber makes me sweat.

If I don't come right with all the stuff in your bedroom I'll try your daughter's...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast