Thread: Adult Caddis

Default Adult Caddis

Played around last night and came up with this,actually just now.

Real simple pattern,all u need is a hook,thread,Deerhair and Rafia.

Looks to be pretty close to the natural if u ask me.

Hope u like
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Gerrit Viljoen

Good fly Gerrit, can you post the tying steps/recipe?
    Fishing is just my thing. I don't know what it is but it seems that i just can't get enough of it.

Quote Originally Posted by wernerm View Post
    Good fly Gerrit, can you post the tying steps/recipe?
    Sure choma,no pics I'm afraid.

Hook:TMC 100 #14
    Thread: Danville Tan/Cream 6/0 or 14/0
    Body/Legs/Head:Natural Deerhair
    Overwing:Plastic/synthetic Raffia to match natural(Solly's Pta stocks it)

1.Place hook in vice

2.Add thread and form thread bed from eye to mid shank and return to eye

3.Tie in DH bullet style.Not to much,adults has small heads

4.Fold hair back like in Madam X.Take out 2 strands or pieces of DH.This will be the antennae of the caddis

5.Whip finish at a 1/4 of the length(this will form the head)but don't cut the thread.

6.DH should be 2wice as long as the hook

7.Tie in Raffia where thread is hanging after the head was formed.Measure the wing at twice the hook gape for the width of the wing.The wing should be 2wice the shank as well.

8.Tie off

9.Now fold the wing in half with the shank being in the middle and cut at 45 degree angle(is it 135 to ur left,not sure) to the left to form the tent shape.If u don't know which is left,ur caddis's head should be facing to the left.Cut this way = \

10.Add a tad of glue or head cement on the thread.

Geez if it's not clear I'll try do it better,even I'm confused
    Last edited by Gerrit Viljoen; 05-03-08 at 08:05 AM.
    Gerrit Viljoen

There are basically six different stages of the caddis emergence that may be useful for our Vaalies. These are mainly of the Hydropsyche species (generally what guys call their larvae mustard caddis though their actual colourings are a lot more subtle and are a lot thinner than the average tie) and also of the Macrostemum Capense Signatum, the bright green thin-dodies larvae that Vaalies so often mistake for the American rockworm (Rhacophila) which had a fatter bead chain shapes like body and which had a totally different behaviour.

The larvae of our two main species turn into pupae and they generally crawl up teed stems and rocks to hatch, unlkie many cased caddis which hatch over the water.

DSo apart from the usual CZN'd larvae fishes on the bottom in the day, towards night it it a useful ploy to use an Invicta or similar 'hatching' fly on a dropper with say a Lafontaine sparkle caddis on the point. These nicely imitate the gaseous body and confused shape of the hatching fly. Fished in the shallow margins towards evening will often succeed brilliantly with bowwave type takes and swirls. When the adult has hatched, the female will then come 'dipping' her body on the water and this is when you see fish hurtling out of the water chasing them with slashing splashes. Useful dries to try on long leaders are such like Hydrolators or Walkers Sedge with heavily greased long hackle to give the fly the apprearance of being just above/on the surface. Tied with an addtional half-hitch 'riffle. knot over the standard knot will enable this fly tk skitter along at speed, something no self-respecting yellows feeding in the area should be able to resist. Try and remember to delay a tightening on the line rather than a strike for a millisecond to allow the fish to take the fly.

This heart-in-mouth dusk/evening fishing has to be the highlight of the season - I'm trying in on some smal stream in the Badplaas area this weekend, maybe we can organise a night sortie to the Vaal the following weekend?

Also don't forget early morning 'buzzer' fishing at this time of year, with beige and black buzzers fished as a team.The yellows will often go for these when other hatches/activity look quiet due to the cooling water starting to come along. The standard black or hot-spot Baetis nymph (weighted) will also be a good staple backstop used as a small 'control' with a couple of buzzers on either side.

Hope of some use?