Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Conditions for Browns

Cool Conditions for Browns

Hi guys

Recently my buddy Neil and I headed over to Balloch to try our hand at some Wild Browns. Problem was (for Neil), that there was about 4 inches of snow everywhere! I think it was more the terrible road and driving conditions that bothered him more than the cold

In any event, we toiled on to Balloch, and ended up having a pretty amazing day, with some pretty decent browns coming to hand.

Mostly one would think that in conditions like that the fish would not co-oporate ... what are your views?
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Hi Mario,

I have caught fish (and not caught fish) in all sorts of conditions. I don't have the luxury of deciding when I can or can't fish so when I get my fishing pass stamped I always just go no matter what the conditions and hope for the best.

I have never really tried in falling snow so can't comment. I have fished during and after hail but caught nothing.

My favourite trout fishing conditions are those days that the insects also love: warm, humid, slightly overcast, slight or no breeze. Light rain is OK, during heavy rain not so good, but straight after heavy rain can be good. OK, here's a generalisation: warm rain is better than cold rain.

Saying that, all fishing is good no matter what the conditions. In NZ I'd never go fishing if I was dependent on the weather

Cheers
    Kevin

Hi Mario,

I agree with Kevin, I don't think the conditions really matter to trout. I have caught them in water ranging from 4C - 25C and while the fight may differ depending on water temp it doesn't stop them taking the fly. In May this year I caught several good fish at Birkhall dam while it was snowing lightly - the midges were hatching and the fish were going crazy ! On the same trip, we also caught fish up at Tenahead while it was snowing.

Regards,
    Darryl

Mario

did you catch any of the fabled "snow trout"?

Caught Browns and Rainbows in the Frying Pan river in Colorado while it was snowing.

The snow didn't make us stop fishing, the fact that after a couple of hours it was close to impossible tying on a fly with fingers that couldn't bend.

I think that it is definitely tougher to find the fish, but it is not impossible. Research, time on the water and perserverence pay off in the long run. And, next time round you'll find it easier. But that's just my opinion anyway.
    Daryl Human

The solution to any problem -- work, love, money, whatever -- is to go fishing, and the worse the problem, the longer the trip should be. --John Gierach

Fario

Judging by your Avatar, you don't get out in the cold much! Perfect skin, to match your perfect fishing skills

Yes, we did manage to catch plenty of Snow-Trout, but since they are also white, they did not show up against the snow in the background - sorry
    Mario Geldenhuys

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Mario

So you enjoyed my movie too?

Did that character not get beaten to death in the end??
    Mario Geldenhuys

Touche Mario

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast