Thread: Fly suggestion

1. Default Fly suggestion

Heading to Machadodorp in 2 weeks. Can anyone suggest some good flies?

Orange putty strike indicators work extremely well!
    "Innocence is a wild trout. But we humans, being complicated, have to pursue innocence in complex ways" - Datus Proper

For what it is worth, try a suspender off the indicator, but be sure to have a skelm hookie hidden in the putty
    "Innocence is a wild trout. But we humans, being complicated, have to pursue innocence in complex ways" - Datus Proper

In winter that will be the best trick ever! Those fish go mental when they see something orange or yellow...

The usual suspects will work well in most dams in machadodorp, but also take along some very small discrete booby's. I have GRHE boobies in #14 which are deadly when fished on a sinking line. The key is to fish them very slowly causing them to dart down to the bottom and then very slowly rise about half a meter. I am not an expert but with all the fishing pressure in the dullstroom/belfast/machadodorp area the subtle rise and fall of the flies and slower retrieve provide that "something" different.

Also take along some snail patterns and olive mayfly nymphs and spinner (mayfly imitating) dry flys

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Shelton View Post
    Orange putty strike indicators work extremely well!

moving putty work's , if you know how many hit's I've had when lifting a rig out of the water for my next cast !

morning/midday : fish with zonkers , buggers , Damsels and some big Dragons , and maybe a small white death.

if the wind's blowing a bit ,a nice Dave's hopper with a buzzer and a flash Back on a suspender rig .

in the late afternoon try trico spinners, DDD's or a few adam's !