Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: "Fizzer" Caddis nymph - control fly #8 & #10

Default "Fizzer" Caddis nymph - control fly #8 & #10

Hi Guys

Thought you may find this interesting. I stumbled (quite by chance) on a good shell-back material last night...Fizzer Wrapping!
    I've been tying this pattern for many years, and now tried the fizzer's wrapping as shell back, and it works like a charm. Translucent, shiny, easy to work with...and if you have kids (or a sweet tooth) you have a great supply of this! This one is the "Cream Soda" flavour. I am sure the other flavours will have uses too. This is a great yellowfish pattern, and the first fly I tie on when fishing the Vaal. This colour, or a ginger and brown one. I see in this months' TCFF there is a similar pattern too.

Here's the pattern:

HOOK: #8, #10 Scud Hook, heavy wire, debarbed
    THREAD: 8/0 Olive or Black
    WEIGHT: 0.025 lead wire, full wrap around shank
    BEADHEAD: 4mm Brass, or Tungsten Bead
    SHELLBACK: Beacon's "Fizzer" wrapping, Cream Soda
    FLASH RIBBING: Green crystal flash
    RIBBING: 4X tippet
    ABDOMEN: Mixture of Chartreuse Ice Dubbing and Light Olive SLF, with some chopped up flash in too. (Experiment!)
    THORAX: Black Super Brite Dubbing
    Use Copec black permanent marker to darken thorax area on top.

STEP ONE:
    Cut a small piece of shell back from the FIZZER wrapping as shown, about 5mm wide. Make a "V" cut in the one side, to ease the tie in later.

STEP TWO:
    Mount your hook, wrap the lead wire on, and start your thread.

STEP THREE:
    Tie in the 4X tippet first, and then the strand of green crystal flash.

STEP FOUR:
    Tie in the piece of Fizzer shell back yuo cut out, as shown, It will have a natural tendency to "curve" when cut from the wrapper, make sure the curve is to the sides, it will finish the fly off better.

STEP FIVE:
    Spin a thin noodle of green/chartreuse mix dubbing onto your thread, and form the abdomen as shown. Leave a section open for the thorax.

STEP SIX:
    Spin another thin noodle of black superbrite dubbing onto your thread, and form the thorax.

STEP SEVEN:
    Wind the strand of crystal flash forward in about 9 even turns. Tie off with your thread and cut it off.

STEP EIGHT:
    Now bring the fizzer shell back over the fly, make sure it is nice and even both sides, tie it off and cut the excess.
    Last edited by Michael; 07-03-08 at 08:34 PM.

STEP NINE:
    Now wind the section of 4X tippet over the fly and the shell-back, in about 9 even turns as well. Tie it off, and trim the excess. This will form your segments. Whip finish.

STEP TEN:
    Your fly is complete. Apply a drop of head cement to your thread area behind the bead, tease out the thorax area to form some legs, and use your black permanent marker to accentuate the black on top of the shell back, above the thorax area.

This fly is a good control fly, sinks fast, and is a good yellowfish taker. You can experiment with different colours, like ginger and dark brown, white and brown, Olive and black, etc. These photos don't do it justice, because up close this fly really sparkles.
    Last edited by Michael; 07-03-08 at 08:35 PM.

Pheasant Tail Nymph Banned User

WOW!! Michael, you have done incredible creative thinking here. The pattern looks fantastic. I will tie some of those as soon as I get all the materials. I will probably use holographic dubbing in chartreuse.

Thanks for sharing. Man, I just wish I could make these kind of contributions to the forum.

Regards,
    PTN

Quote Originally Posted by Pheasant Tail Nymph View Post
    WOW!! Michael, you have done incredible creative thinking here. The pattern looks fantastic. I will tie some of those as soon as I get all the materials. I will probably use holographic dubbing in chartreuse.

Thanks for sharing. Man, I just wish I could make these kind of contributions to the forum.

Regards,
    PTN
    Glad to help man! This pattern is a workhorse for me on the Vaal. Holographic chartreuse will work magic too. That's the key...experiment!

Sweet like a lemon or is that CS?

Thanks Mike

Nice one!!!!

You can also get some really cool coloured shellbacks from a box quality streets!

Mike the fizzer packet material looks translucent when you tie it down. I never assumed it was and it adds very much to the pattern! Is it green on the inner side too?

Cheers
    G
    "So here’s my point. Don’t go and get your ego all out of proportion because you can tie a fly and catch a fish that’s dumb enough to eat a car key.." - Louis Cahill - Gink and Gasoline

Quote Originally Posted by gkieser View Post
    Nice one!!!!

You can also get some really cool coloured shellbacks from a box quality streets!

Mike the fizzer packet material looks translucent when you tie it down. I never assumed it was and it adds very much to the pattern! Is it green on the inner side too?

Cheers
    G
    Grant

Yes it's green all the way through...one side is a little more shiny than the other side though. But totally translucent, which is great.

The quality street sweet idea is a good one! Also, the wrapping from Amstel 6-packs...great green colours.

Are you family of Brett Kieser perhaps? My nephew is in CT, and one of his mates is Brett Kieser.

Mike

Nah no relation that I know of Michael. (I replied on the other thread too).

I am not familiar with any of my relations further away than 1st cousins though so he may be a second cousin I guess.
    "So here’s my point. Don’t go and get your ego all out of proportion because you can tie a fly and catch a fish that’s dumb enough to eat a car key.." - Louis Cahill - Gink and Gasoline

Quote Originally Posted by gkieser View Post
    Nah no relation that I know of Michael. (I replied on the other thread too).

I am not familiar with any of my relations further away than 1st cousins though so he may be a second cousin I guess.
    Aaah okay cool. Didn't see the other thread reply. Just I thought it may be, as Kieser is not a common surname (I think anyway!)

Not too common as far as I know (And most people sigh a sign of relief at that). I have never bumped into someone with the same surname that was not a direct relative of mine.

Anyhoo, I am off to bed - got a big day of trials tomorrow!

Hope everyone has a good weekend!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast