Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Highmoor

Default Highmoor

Wanted to know if anyone has fished Highmoor dam lately . I am gonig to Midlands in early april and make a booking . Any advise/response would be greatly appreciated and of course what flies have been fishing well
    "My biggest worry is that my wife (when I'm dead) will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it."

I haven't fished it for a couple of years now. You can only drive as far as the campsite, and so have to walk almost 2km up to the top lake. Sounds easy enough, but I can promise you that lugging your float tube and all related gear down the ravine and up the other side at an altitude of almost 1600m is no walk in the park !

Awesome piece of water though, good luck.

Better step up the excersise schedule
    "My biggest worry is that my wife (when I'm dead) will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it."

Quote Originally Posted by Adrian View Post
    Better step up the excersise schedule
    Its not really fitness thats the problem. I gym 5 times a week. Its the thin air that I battled with, combined with the fact that KZN Wildlife have laid gum poles across the pathway every couple of metres, so you can't just walk.

I also think the key thing is to try to travel light. I think I was carrying something like 20kg's of gear the last time I went up there. Never again !

Maybe i could convince the wife to come along and play shirper

Unlikely i know , but gotta try

Shaun am i correct in saying that they no longer stock Highmoor?
    The closer one gets to realizing his destiny, the more that destiny becomes his true reason for being! Paulo Coelho

Hi Matt,

As far as I know, Highmoor as well as the dams at the Kamberg Nature Reserve are still regularly stocked. They're just not stocked by the Kamberg Hatchery anymore, which closed down a number of years ago.

Thanks for clearing that up for me Shaun!

I just know that from my experience both Highmoor and Kamberg nature reserve is not what it used to be.

But maybe i am have just become a crap fisherman over the last few years
    The closer one gets to realizing his destiny, the more that destiny becomes his true reason for being! Paulo Coelho

To be honest, I haven't fished Kamberg in many years, but I fished Highmoor last about 3 years ago.

Highmoor has always been fairly tough, as the stocking numbers have traditionally been kept low. I've never caught a lot of fish there, it used to be that if you got a fish or 2, then you'd done pretty ok. Fish were always brutes though and fought incredibly dirty. Breakoffs were common, especially around the weedbeds.

Ya i also never did to well at Highmoor!

It has always been one of my favourite dmas though, despite the comrades marathon you have to go through to get to the dam. . .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast