Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Highmoor

I was just reviewing the kamberg bells festival 07 records and saw that they pulled in a 3.04 kg fish at Highmoor . Hopefully the dam will fish well , if i get one that size the walk/climb will be well worth it . Also confirmed that the dam is stocked by the organisers of the kamberg bells (Spoke to Ali Engelbrecht yesterday)
    "My biggest worry is that my wife (when I'm dead) will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it."

Hi Guys,

Found this old post and was wondering if anybody has an update regarding Highmoor. I am looking to do a bit of camping in April. Any info would be great. Especially regarding the long distance walk to the waters. Can you not see the waters from the camping spot in other words as per previous post.

Hi Guys,

Found this old post ans was wondering if anybody visited Highmoor recently. I will be doing a camping trip there in April, so any info would be appreciated. Do I understand it correct in that you do not see the fishing waters from the camping site?

Thanks!

The waters are not visible from the campsite and require a walk to get there. Its not a difficult walk at all, but if you're carrying a float tube it may seem long...

It's a fair walk to the lower dam, and even further to the top dam. The top dam has some real buses lurking about, so tippet up. And watch the weather. But the walk back is even worse, especially in 26 degree heat after float tubing for whole day! We used to leave our tubes under the lapa at the lower dam when we camped there. Theft has never been an issue because it really is in the middle of nowhere.

The lower dam has HEAVY weed beds, but it makes for excellent fishing. You do lose a fair amount of fish to the weeds though. But floating damsel patterns on intermediate line get a lot of action. Minnow imitations in the shallows at night also got a hammering.

And Highmoor isn't at 1600m, it's at 2000m Certainly explains the breathlessness!
    You are a perishable item. Live accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by GrahamS View Post
    And Highmoor isn't at 1600m, it's at 2000m Certainly explains the breathlessness!
    Bunch of pansies - half of Gauteng is higher than 1600m
    Check your knots!

Thanks for the info guys.

I am really looking forward to this trip. Will hopefully have something to report back.

Quote Originally Posted by jock0 View Post
    Bunch of pansies - half of Gauteng is higher than 1600m
    Believe me when say, 400m can make all the difference. Hangovers will never be the same!
    You are a perishable item. Live accordingly.

Thought Id offer a more recent update on this dam..

I fished Highmoor In March 2011. The trek with the kickboats was not easy but indeed worth the effort!

The dam is still being stoked, between my fishing partner an I we caught at least 6 stokies (400g) in the top dam. 2 trout betwen 1.5 -1.8 kg were caught and a stunning 6-7lb er. Interestingly most of the action was in the morning, well as we arrived (10am to 12). the afternoon was dead as you get.

there was a massively full moon on this day too which may have done something to the fishs psyche - or ours

Everything was released.. The dam looks healthy as do the trout. A very well managed system that.

Howdy guys.
    I'm brand spanking new to the forum, tho I've used all the advice from you guys for awhile now, so thanks so much already, you have helped.
    Now, down to business...Highmoor, I found this post and am excited about Flashback Robs post, 'cos luckily for me I shall be fishing Highmoor in 3 weeks time!! I wonder if anyone can give advice as to what patterns will work well given the time of year, and maybe even if you have a favorite spot that has worked well for you in the past. One other thing that intrigues me, whats the story with the VERY top dam?? (there are three) I've never fished it or seen it for that matter, but have found out that it used to be stocked, but not in the last 6 years.

Anyways, thanking you all again for the advice that you've already given me, and hopefully for the advice forthcoming.

Matt.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12