Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Clouser Minnow

Default Clouser Minnow

So I'm giving this saltwater fly tying thing a bash and wanted opinions from the salt gurus on my first one resembling a Chartreuse Clouser. I aint got no nicely coloured bucktail so I used synthetic super hair.

Should I make the ends of the "wing" a bit more uneven? Is it too long/short? Too sparse/dense? More/less chartreuse or white?

I read somewhere that the flash should be a bit longer than the wing in saltwater flies - does that look right?

Too much red?

Any other suggestions?

Check the pics:
    Chart_clouser 008_rsz.jpg

Chart_clouser 008_top.jpg

That must be one of the best Clouser's I have ever seen!

I only stared tying a few weeks ago, and my first fly was a clouser. What do you use for the part behind the eyes? And how do you get the smooth look on the tread. I use head cement and I dont get that glossy look.

what head cement you using ?

Quote Originally Posted by J Brink View Post
    what head cement you using ?
    Ill have to come back to you on that. What should I be using? like I said, Im pretty new to this.

hehe - Okay I cheated. I took the pics while the first coat of head cement (sally hansens) was still drying - It took two more coats to get it to look like that when dry.

Izak the body bit is Clear Medium V-rib that is wrapped forward over the red thread just like you'd wrap chenille or similar. It looks nice to me but i don't know what the fish will think of all that red. I use this clear v-rib for atomic worms too. You get the colour coming through from whatever is underneath the V-rib and it gives it a nice translucency. You can even wrap different coloured flashabou under the v-rib and the colours that come through are amazing!

But thanks Izak. It looks nice to me but I don't know if i've got everything right.

I guess I'll find out when I chuck it!

Grant

That fly looks good. The one advantage of Bucktail over the synthetics is that the Bucktail is less prone to fouling. If this gives you hassles, then simply de-barb the fly. I am not sure if it would work on the circle hook though.

Remind me when I see you again, I will give you some bucktail.

Cheers
    MC

Awesome!

Thanks MC.

I think another advange of the bucktail is that it tapers off naturally whereas the synthetics need to be cut to shape, or does that not make a difference?

I'll Tie some on non-circle hooks and see if it makes a difference. Well, that is if I can get the fish to take them of course.

Quote Originally Posted by gkieser View Post
    So I'm giving this saltwater fly tying thing a bash and wanted opinions from the salt gurus on my first one resembling a Chartreuse Clouser. I aint got no nicely coloured bucktail so I used synthetic super hair.

Should I make the ends of the "wing" a bit more uneven? Is it too long/short? Too sparse/dense? More/less chartreuse or white?

I read somewhere that the flash should be a bit longer than the wing in saltwater flies - does that look right?

Too much red?

Any other suggestions?

Check the pics:
    Chart_clouser 008_rsz.jpg

Chart_clouser 008_top.jpg
    Hi Grant,

This specific fly will catch you fish, just a few comments which might help. When using synthetics the fly will last longer but these materials are often either too stiff(less movement) or too limp(fowls while casting and tangle). When using synthetics pull out the fibers at the centre along the length of the material to create a tapered effect. You can use Softex or Loon Soft head to provide additional stiffness upto an area just past the hook bend. Use a bodkin and apply the soft head between the fibres. Saying all of this a Clouser will still work even when the wing doesn't ride even, which makes the fly so veratile. Bucktail offers more movement and is stiffer at the base and limper at the tips which lead to less fowling and more movement.

It is advisable to blend synthetics with bucktail, with the bucktail right at the bottom and on top. This makes for a durable fly with movement, the bucktail supports the synthetics. Steve Farrar Flash Blend is really great stuff for this application.

I tie the Clousers with the wing approx. 2.5 times shank length. Let some of the flash extend past the materials creating a flashy tail, while other strands are cut at various lengths, creating flash points along the body length. It is really only necessary to tie the wing infront of the eyes, this will save lots of thread. Permanent marker pens are also great to add vertical lines/bars, gills etc. 3 coats of Sally Hansen, Loon Hard head (great stuff) or epoxy make for a durable finish.

Still a well tied fly.

Cheers,

Philip

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast