Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Clouser Minnow

Good one Rory! Thanks for sharing that with us.

Despite the long shanked hooks, I dont know if I would be too confident of my tippet if I had to dispense with the piano wire altogether though? Have you put it much to the test?
    "Innocence is a wild trout. But we humans, being complicated, have to pursue innocence in complex ways" - Datus Proper

Quote Originally Posted by rory View Post
    OK guys heres another variation to ponder.

90% of my clousers are tied on hooks with a standard length shank, however I like to have a handful tied onto long shank hooks specifically for when the shad are running. Sure there are more durable flies for shad but they can't resist a clouser and the main reason for the long shank is no wire trace or shock tippet is used, and the leader is kept well clear of those teeth. On all my clousers my preference is for big dumbbell eyes which I first tie on to the hooks, spraypaint, then paint the eyeballs and then varnish. I'll usually make up 20 - 30 at a time which will take an hour and a half incuding drying time before tying in the wings. I'm not to fussy between bucktail or synthetics but again my personal preference is for bucktail, sparsely tied. The hooks in the photos are Dynatech 1/0 sharp as needles.
    Cheers
    Rory
    Rory,

No dispespect intented, but if the flies shown are an illustration of your comment on tying flies on longshank hooks to avoid or reduce bite-offs, then I must point out the obvious flaw in your argument.

The relationship between tippet and fly remains exactly unchanged for the two hook types shown in your posts, and since the placement of the hook point within the fly will have zero impact on the impact point of the bite, nothing can be gained by means of tying in this fashion.

A marginal advantage can however be gained by using longshank hooks and moving the fly right back on the shank, so that the shank in effect becomes bite tippet.

Armand
    Last edited by armand; 02-02-07 at 09:43 PM. Reason: spelling correction

Chris
    If the shad are running this is the only fly I use, they munch it until theres hardly any bucktail left!

Armand
    Thanks and points taken - please let me expand a bit more on my theory Anyone who has chucked a sardine bait or a live pinky for shad will tell you they hit the tail first. So my thinking is if they hit the tail first the hookup rate should improve if the hook is closer to the end. I only use this fly for shad and once I know the shad are about. I have pile of sprat flies with the eye tied closer to the bend and they sure work, but confidence in the long shank works for me

cheers
    Rory
    "I'm just a beer drinker with a flyfishing problem"

Chris
    they hit the tail first. So my thinking is if they hit the tail first the hookup rate should improve if the hook is closer to the end. I only use this fly for shad and once I know the shad are about. I have pile of sprat flies with the eye tied closer to the bend and they sure work, but confidence in the long shank works for me
    Rory
    Sounds like a good theory to me
    "Innocence is a wild trout. But we humans, being complicated, have to pursue innocence in complex ways" - Datus Proper

Yep - and makes a case for tube flies too..

Gogga Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by gkieser View Post
    Yep - and makes a case for tube flies too..
    Couldn't agree more

All the best
    Mike

Default wire vs longshank

I agree with the long shank theory
    but find that the outher greedy Shad in an effort to steal the fly out of the hooked fishes mouth bite you off and in this case you need the wire
    I use a teeny split ring through the eye of the hook and then haywire 10 cm piano wire and then albright that to my normal leader the ring alows the fly to move and the wire is "bulletproof"
    shad just cant leave a chart/white clouser alone !
    What ever you do never confuse Fishing With catching Fish !!!!
    Fish Are Friends Not Food

But your reasoning has a fatal flaw; it overlooks the fact that to comprehend it requires that one rub a few brain cells against each other. The heat thus generated produces the light that illuminates the fact, but alas, not everybody has the resource required to fuel the process --SG

and the main reason for the long shank is no wire trace or shock tippet is used, and the leader is kept well clear of those teeth.

Well, according to this quotation Rory is contradicting himself.

Hi Guys,

I have also struggled for new patterns on salt, I started searching the internet and have found a website www.saltwaterflies.com, I have tried some of the flies in SA and found they work very well. Maybe try some of the patterns and see for yourself.

Peter

classicdeepminnow_chart.jpg

This is a fly I have and worked well.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234