Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Murray Park and Emmarentia

I used to live close to Emmarentia when i was still in SA. In the bottom dams you can catch some nice carp, you can see patches of muddy water they kick up when feeding, cast a fly into that. Besides that can pick up small bass and tilapia if you flick a nymph into the lilly margins.

The main dam has carp, bass and barbel, but is difficult to fish so i never really bothered ... with one exception. In early spring the barbel will move onto a shallow ledge near the wall early in the mornings ... if you don't mind hitting the odd kayaker there is some sublime sight fishing

Safety wise i never had any issues, but there are normally a few vagrants hanging around. This was some years back though so things might have changed.

Default Spots at Emmarentia

The main dam has some good spots - the park side of the dam outside the main entrance - my wife caught her first bass there much to my disgust as I landed up with nothing that day. The dam wall is fun, and all along the roadside on the dam wall side to the park entrance there are submerged trees, logs etc, and I've been hit-a-plenty there. Its not the best spot, but no.1 for convenience as I live about a 3 wood away from there. The kayakers have chirped me that there are fish so large in the dam that they've "paddled around them" - must be referring to the Carp. Anyone know if there're grass carp in the main dam?

got a friend who paddles there and he says the barble are HUGE

There are some decent fish. Have caught the following there. A carp of 32lb, 22lb barbel on bass kit. My boet has had a 3kg bass. My biggest is about 2kg.......... You just need to know where to fish and how......

By the way, I have been canoeing there for 16 years. My dad is one of the founders of the club there. He has been paddling there for 35 years!!!! We have seen ducklings being taken from the surface by bass......

Riverdawg, there are no grass carp. For that try Wemmer pan and Germiston lakes. My friends have had a few 40lb'ers out of there....

Default Float tube on Emmarentia and Westdend dams

Hi Guys,

I'm new on this forum and was wondering if any of you had used a float tube on Westdene and Emmarentia dams?

I live in Melville so they are close by and it should be safe(r) on a tube than on the bank (I also carry a .45 as an added measure).

Do I need additional licences and permits if I use a tube? If so where would I get them from?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2