Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Impromptu trip to the vaal TODAY

Update...spoke to Andre' from wag bietjie. He had some scholars there for the week, beginners. The numbers caught were good, and a 7lb smallmouth was taken. Flow was about 25 cubics, viz about 30-40cm. Ek gaan more visvang!!!
    Dirk Human

Flyfishing for yellows...the most fun a man can have, with his clothes on, while standing up, holding a bar of gold in your hands.

I had a cracker of a trip on Friday! It was only the second time I fished the venue and up until 18:00 there was only one other fly guy on the water. He trekked miles up stream too so I didnt even see him after we greeted each other.

I drove through some serious storms on the way out there but arrived to a smiling farmer, R30 entrance for the day, glorius sunshine, flow rate of roughly 25-30 and viz so good I could see the bottom in some places (about 50-60cm)!!! It did rain for about 5 minutes twice but I think this just woke up the fish

I landed two smallmouths one of around 3kg's and a brute of about 3.5kgs! They were both incredibly bright yellow and very very fat - almost thought I had hooked a carp. Also landed about 10 muddies, biggest of close to 2kg's and the smallest about 400grams that thought it was a dorado they way it kept jumping. I somehow also managed to lose about 4-5 fish after short fights but I think these were unfortunately muddies that I had fowl hooked? Only downside was getting eaten alive by mosquito's as I came off the water.

One question - I am not sure if my scale is 100% accurate and while the fish apparently weighed in at 3.5kg's I would like a "general feel" for its weight. I measured it as having a fork length of 63cm and a max girth of 48cm. Any guesses??
    Check your knots!

Quote Originally Posted by jock0 View Post
    My plan is to get to the vaal around 14:00 and I am keen to fish either Silwer Strome, Arends Nes or Yellowfish Paradise. Last time I went out I got lost though and ended up on the next farm "downriver" from yellowfish paradise.
    Where did you end up fishing???
    Mike McKeown

You're either fishing or waiting...

As if you are one to ask about fishing spots

Just kidding - I didnt get lost this time but I didnt end up at arend's nes (eagles nest) either. I fished a place called "Fish Eagles" between yellow fish paradise and where i imagine arends nes is. I can give you directions if you like?
    Check your knots!

Quote Originally Posted by jock0 View Post
    As if you are one to ask about fishing spots

Just kidding - I didnt get lost this time but I didnt end up at arend's nes (eagles nest) either. I fished a place called "Fish Eagles" between yellow fish paradise and where i imagine arends nes is. I can give you directions if you like?
    Fish Eagle ( VIS AREND ) is inbetween Geelvis Paradys and Oosthuizens. Eagles Nest ( ARends Nes ) is another location but quite a bit further downstream past silverstrome and next door to Woelwaters.
    There is a nice deep pool about 3/4 of the way across the river opposite Vis Arends bank which can be reached from Vis Arend by carefull wading and rock hopping
    It's not in the catching, it's in the learning something new.
    view albums at. http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=659

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2