Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: "Fishfever/Viskoors"

Default "Fishfever/Viskoors"

Have you ever been overtaken by Fishfever/Viskoors???

I was prospecting some new waters on Friday. Knowing from first hand reports that these waters support LM Bass, LM Yellows, Barbel and big SM yellows I found what I thought a suitable rocky island from where I could cast to structures in a 270 degree arc.

The wind was pumping and I just could not get the lightly weighted minnow imitation where I wanted it. I changed to quite a heavy dumbell eyed bugger, and just "flopped" it into the water to get it wet with a roll cast.

I was still stripping more line from the reel as the fly sunk about 12 inches. From nowhere comes this golden rocket out of the depths aiming straight for the fly. I stop breathing, frantically try and manage the slack on the water, and the bloody fish stops 2" from the fly, turns and dives.

I'm sure the air turned blue from my comments

I sat on the rocks, ( still with the fly in the water ) and had a smoke with trembling hands.

Guess what?, I'm back there tomorrow am. Even though I blanked on Friday, I know that there are fish in that there waters. Just gotta work em out
    It's not in the catching, it's in the learning something new.
    view albums at. http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=659

Quote Originally Posted by Herman Jooste View Post

I was prospecting some new waters on Friday. Knowing from first hand reports that these waters support LM Bass, LM Yellows, Barbel and big SM yellows I found what I thought a suitable rocky island from where I could cast to structures in a 270 degree arc.

The wind was pumping and I just could not get the lightly weighted minnow imitation where I wanted it. I changed to quite a heavy dumbell eyed bugger, and just "flopped" it into the water to get it wet with a roll cast.

I was still stripping more line from the reel as the fly sunk about 12 inches. From nowhere comes this golden rocket out of the depths aiming straight for the fly. I stop breathing, frantically try and manage the slack on the water, and the bloody fish stops 2" from the fly, turns and dives.

I'm sure the air turned blue from my comments

I sat on the rocks, ( still with the fly in the water ) and had a smoke with trembling hands.

Guess what?, I'm back there tomorrow am. Even though I blanked on Friday, I know that there are fish in that there waters. Just gotta work em out
    Shhhhit sounds like you got a right buzz Herman,when i caught my first trout on the streams its was very much like you have described above when i missed the first couple of strikes,but when you see the trout coming and you STRIKE just as the fly dissapears under the water and the line goes tight what a RUSH. hope you get the bugger tomorrow.
    I think no innocent species of wit or pleasantry should be suppressed; and that a good pun may be admitted among the smaller excellencies of lively conversation.
    James Boswell.

[T]his planet is covered with sordid men who demand that he who spends time fishing shall show returns in fish. ~Leonidas Hubbard, Jr.

Thanks Nicholas, just hope the wind and rain stays off though. Rowing upstream against a 20k/hr wind on an inflatable is NOT fun.

Just gotta work em out
    Now you're getting it... Got it????
    Mike McKeown

You're either fishing or waiting...

I'm getting it! Same place today and got a bump on a black wooley. Missed it, but an improvement, i.e. I got the bump. As I was about to lift for the next cast I see a "ripple rise" to my right. 9# dropped, 6# picked up and flicked within 60 seconds, result? Nada, nix, Zilch.
    So what, I'm trying new things and learning all the time, for instance my casting, actually managed 20m with a heavy fly straight into the wind this am,

Oh BTW did get 3 SM on nymphs ( NZ style nogal ) on a 15m cast swing drift.

All in all a wonderfull 4 hours on the Vaal this morning.

I'm getting it! Same place today and got a bump on a black wooley. Missed it, but an improvement, i.e. I got the bump. As I was about to lift for the next cast I see a "ripple rise" to my right. 9# dropped, 6# picked up and flicked within 60 seconds, result? Nada, nix, Zilch.
    So what, I'm trying new things and learning all the time, for instance my casting, actually managed 20m with a heavy fly straight into the wind this am,

Oh BTW did get 3 SM on nymphs ( NZ style nogal ) on a 15m cast swing drift.

All in all a wonderfull 4 hours on the Vaal this morning.
    No worries Herman...next time you shall get that boy...

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    No worries Herman...next time you shall get that boy...
    Thanks Mike, but it's that boy's Grandma that I would love to get

Thanks Mike, but it's that boy's Grandma that I would love to get
    Edited Before the humour gets taken too seriously.
    Last edited by Michael; 23-03-08 at 03:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    You mean the 5.5kg one????
    Naaaahhh, that's Auntie, Granny comes in at 14kg,

Something like this? 18kg LM - John Southey. Caught on a big Rapala.

Last edited by Michael; 23-03-08 at 03:19 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast