Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Polarised Sunglasses

Cool Polarised Sunglasses

Recently I managed to massage my beloved sunglasses into the soil with a landrover wheel.....sigh of relief as they were cheapos.I've taken this as a sign that I am now responsible enough for a good pair of polarised sunglasses.......Are MAKO all that they are made out to be ?!.....or should I spend my painfully gathered savings on a cheaper pair.....or have you guys got a suggestion that sits somewhere between the two.Which make ,brand or model (polarised) is real value for money....I would appreciate any advice or suggestions !!! Thank-you..........and mmmm....dare I ask....can I submit to the ongoing limmerick....even though I am a fingerling.....and from KZN haha

Quote Originally Posted by salty crack View Post
    Recently I managed to massage my beloved sunglasses into the soil with a landrover wheel.....sigh of relief as they were cheapos.I've taken this as a sign that I am now responsible enough for a good pair of polarised sunglasses.......Are MAKO all that they are made out to be ?!.....or should I spend my painfully gathered savings on a cheaper pair.....or have you guys got a suggestion that sits somewhere between the two.Which make ,brand or model (polarised) is real value for money....I would appreciate any advice or suggestions !!! Thank-you..........and mmmm....dare I ask....can I submit to the ongoing limmerick....even though I am a fingerling.....and from KZN haha
    I have a pair of Mako photocromatic glasses...great for clear water and the ocean (I have the green lenses on this pair), but dropped them into the Vaal as well one time...luckily insurance paid me out. Bought another pair. Solid glasses!
    I also own some cheapo's...best ones I found is the RAPALA brand ones with amber (light brown) lenses...really comfortable, look good (for driving they are great too), and about R290.00 a pair. Get a lanyard with it, which is nice. Also "Flying Fisherman" make some really nice glasses that look good and are comfy too, and about R250.00 a pair. (No lanyard though)
    Last edited by Michael; 24-03-08 at 12:18 AM.

Depends how much you want to spend I guess.

Makos, Maui-Jim, Haber, Spotters ... are all top of the line sunnies.

The cancer council (do you guys have that in SA?), sells polarized sunnies for $50, no concerns about dropping them or scratching them.

https://www.cancercouncil.com.au/sho...t.asp?pageid=5

Get a strap that'll keep them around your neck when you're not using them, or so they don't fly off when under way.
    I like the amber lenses and find them more useful for what I do.
    Last edited by Jono Shales; 24-03-08 at 02:43 AM.

I'm blind as a bat without my normal glasses, so got a pair of polarised clip-ons from Spec Savers for R80. (Available in green, brown and grey)
    Cannot see the diff between them and my previous pair of RayBan polarised which cost over R600.
    Save our Yellows!

I use the Snowbee, they cost about R80, I'm also heavy on glasses so i dont mind loosing or breaking these.

At the end of the day a polarised lense is a polarised lense. It doesn't matter what name it has branded on it, they all pretty much do the same thing.

Glass lenses tend to last longer and not scratch as often.

Pheasant Tail Nymph Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
    I use the Snowbee, they cost about R80, I'm also heavy on glasses so i dont mind loosing or breaking these.
    I also had the Snowbee glasses and can testify that they are great. Mind your head though. You can't put them on like normal glasses, because they have rounded arms. That's how I broke mine. I found that it works better to put them on like a cap, if you know what I mean. Pull them down along the contours of your head.

I now have a pair of Storm glasses. They look great, don't have the rounded arms, come in a very nice cleaning bag, and apparently were quite cheap as well. Oh, they work just as well as the snowbees, too.

Regards,
    PTN

i went to a shop and they had polarised snowbees for R80.00 as well. bought 4 as the family fishes, and i must say the've been fine for me. now on the whole polarised thing, though, what do the better brands do than the el cheepos. this question is because i have el cheepo....can you see more with the better brands....just broke another set and need to buy some. am i missing seeing the fish here with the cheepies?
    Behold the fisherman. he riseth early in the morning and disturbeth the whole household. mighty are his preperations. he goes forth full of hope and when the day is ended, he returneth smelling of strong drink and the truth is not with him. originator unknown.

my stuff.... http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=824[/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by rols View Post
    i went to a shop and they had polarised snowbees for R80.00 as well. bought 4 as the family fishes, and i must say the've been fine for me. now on the whole polarised thing, though, what do the better brands do than the el cheepos. this question is because i have el cheepo....can you see more with the better brands....just broke another set and need to buy some. am i missing seeing the fish here with the cheepies?
    The cheapos are fine...but the lenses are normally plastic not glass like the expensive ones, so more prone to scratching. The expensive ones also have stronger and more flexible frames. Just generally more solidly built.
    But as for seeing better with them? No ways...as Jono says...polarised lenses are polarised lenses. You will see equally well with both. I fish mostly with my cheapos, and use them for driving.

Quote Originally Posted by rols View Post
    what do the better brands do than the el cheepos. this question is because i have el cheepo....can you see more with the better brands... am i missing seeing the fish here with the cheepies?
    Only thing you see with the more expensive brands, apart from the brand logo, and bragging, is the bigger hole in your wallet ...and maybe a better quality frame and lens material.
    Just make sure the brand you are buying is actually polarised.
    Easy to check by taking another pair of the same brand and rotating the lens by 90deg in front of the one you're wearing.
    The more light blocked out, the better the polarization.
    Save our Yellows!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast