Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Thread: Witvis at Jonkerhoek

Quote Originally Posted by Jasper View Post
    ... hopefully with that Rosemary (or was it Thyme) and butter sauce!!

Thyme,white wine and butter,anyone cooked Witvis before
    I think no innocent species of wit or pleasantry should be suppressed; and that a good pun may be admitted among the smaller excellencies of lively conversation.
    James Boswell.

[T]his planet is covered with sordid men who demand that he who spends time fishing shall show returns in fish. ~Leonidas Hubbard, Jr.

Smile Catchin White fish

I have managed to land 1 white fish at Jonkershoek and have pricked or lost several. They definately respond better later in the day. I caught my witfis by using 5x tippet and I put on a #16 hares ear type nymph with an orange tungsten bead. The fly is cast over the school and then allowed to sink amongst them. The fly is then retrieved very slowly. I watch the fly all of the time(hence the 0range bead). Every now and then a white fish will break off and quickly inhale the fly. If you are quick enough, you might hook it. I also had success fishing a soft hackle to rising white fish just before dark. I lost two doing this. The take is much more aggresive. May the white fish be with you!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Mills View Post
    I have managed to land 1 white fish at Jonkershoek and have pricked or lost several. They definately respond better later in the day. I caught my witfis by using 5x tippet and I put on a #16 hares ear type nymph with an orange tungsten bead. The fly is cast over the school and then allowed to sink amongst them. The fly is then retrieved very slowly. I watch the fly all of the time(hence the 0range bead). Every now and then a white fish will break off and quickly inhale the fly. If you are quick enough, you might hook it. I also had success fishing a soft hackle to rising white fish just before dark. I lost two doing this. The take is much more aggresive. May the white fish be with you!!!!
    Thanks for the info Sean!! ... tell me .. what is the average size of these fish? ... I want to know what weight tackle to use
    I always wanted to be somebody,but now I realize I should have been more specific.
    Alcohol is the anaesthesia by which we endure the operation of life. GBS

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Mills View Post

Will pop in sometine Ob1 kanobe and chat,thanks for the tips.
    I think no innocent species of wit or pleasantry should be suppressed; and that a good pun may be admitted among the smaller excellencies of lively conversation.
    James Boswell.

[T]his planet is covered with sordid men who demand that he who spends time fishing shall show returns in fish. ~Leonidas Hubbard, Jr.

Booger Rose Banned User

Thanks Sean, I'm sure this info will come in handy comes Thursday. Jasper, I think I'm gonna go with my 3wt, much more sensitive than 5wt and I dont think you will have to put in a 20 metre cast.

Nicholas, while you braai the Witvis, why not a Redfin as well, might as well try it once.
    Last edited by Booger Rose; 28-08-08 at 11:24 AM.

Smile Witvis update from Jonkershoek

Quote Originally Posted by Benja View Post
    I might just join you guys, its practically on my doorstep
    Spoke quickly to Ryan yesterday, they were preparing the spawning beds at the inlet for the spawning season. Said the dam will be fishable again by tomorrow. Apparently a 4.something trout came out as well.

On Sunday the shoal of witvis cruising close to the island swam right past my dries. I guess a nymph fished 50 cm below an indicator should do the trick. Two other witvis in the second dam also swam in circles in the west side of the dam occasionally sipping something from the surface, but again ignoring my flies. they werent really spookish of a cast though...
    Howzit guys.
    We drained dam one on Monday and re-packed the whitefish spawning beds for the coming spawning season. While we were at it we graded the witvis and found that they've grown significantly since they were stocked in 2005 (and since the pic of the lovely german exchange student was taken) with some well over a kg. The one I caught last week absolutely DRILLED me and it was probably only about 700g! True yellowfish style. We've moved whitefish to all the dams now for summer and will be putting up screens to protect the spawning beds in Nov. I probably don't have to say this, but just in case: PLEASE don't target them on the spawning beds. It is very tempting when there are masses of fish right at your feet and you know you can "by hook or crook" get one on the line. The spawning beds are at the inlets to each dam and will soon be indicated on small maps that we plan to erect on each dam.
    Dam one is still fairly murky today (Thursday 28th), but it is full. I reckon your best shot at them will be the evening after our first warm day after this current front passes.
    I rifled through the catch returns book of one of our local field rangers and found reference to whitefish having been landed here in dam 14 (first big wild dam) in Aug 2001 and in 1994! On a black spider and an olive red-eyed damsel respectively. There's something about Aug that these fish love!

Cheers,
    Trout are as much a part of South Africa as the oak trees are of Stellenbosch – not to be planted in wilderness areas where they do not already occur, but to be valued where they are established.

Quote Originally Posted by Booger Rose View Post
    Thanks Sean, I'm sure this info will come in handy comes Thursday. Jasper, I think I'm gonna go wit my 3wt, much more sensitive than 5wt and I dont think you will have to put in a 20 metre cast.

Nicholas, while you braai the Witvis, why not a Redfin as well, might as well try it once.
    makes sense Boogs - I'll do the same ... bring along a two/three weight, but will also pack in my 5WT just in case!!!
    I always wanted to be somebody,but now I realize I should have been more specific.
    Alcohol is the anaesthesia by which we endure the operation of life. GBS

I managed to pick one up a little while ago on a size 24 para ant on 7x. These fish seem to be EXTREMLY tippet shy so remember to degrease and use flouro if possible. Still need to find the trick to consistently catching these little buggers. Good fun though.
    Around the steel no tortur'd worm shall twine, No blood of living insect stain my line;
    Let me, less cruel, cast feather'd hook, With pliant rod athwart the pebbled brook,
    Silent along the mazy margin stray, And with fur-wrought fly delude the prey

OptimisticFlyer Banned User

When I caught mine, it was on a green atomic worm of type. Lost quite a few takes on size 14 DDD as well....just striking a bit to late. It was the same story with the worm dropper.

OptimisticFlyer Banned User

Default witvissies

Anyone catch some more witvis? I am currently on 9 @ Jonkershoek. Had the most success on my x flies and x rigs.

Charl

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7