Default If you were a tigerfish...

Would you eat any of these?

1) Black Clouser (1/0 Circle):

2) Fire Tiger (2/0 Stinger):

3) Orange Clouser (2/0 Stinger):

4) Robber Clouser (2/0 Stinger):

5) Baby Robber (1/0 Circle):

6) Whistler (2/0 Stinger):

Select which ones you think would entice a Tiger from the poll above (You can choose more than one if you are feeling generous).

I am going on a trip to the Kavango and Kuito in Namibia and Angola in July and since i have never targeted a tigerfish, I'd like to get any advice on what I might be doing wrong with the flies I am tying. I specied the Hook type and size of each one as I'd like to know if I am generally on the right track for hook size etc. I am not sure of the circles for tigers, but i had a bunch that i can't find a use for so I thought I'd try.

Any feedback is welcome please?

Lata
    G
    Last edited by gkieser; 26-03-08 at 12:32 AM.
    "So hereís my point. Donít go and get your ego all out of proportion because you can tie a fly and catch a fish thatís dumb enough to eat a car key.." - Louis Cahill - Gink and Gasoline

Flip Grant, those look absolutely awesome! If I was a greedy Tiger, I think I'd like to sample the lot thanks. I particularly like the look of your Fire Tiger though, mmmmm, YUMMY!!
    "Innocence is a wild trout. But we humans, being complicated, have to pursue innocence in complex ways" - Datus Proper

Fire Tiger Baby Yeah !

I also like the Robber because I've been tying SW minnows & things with the SF Fibre.

Good choice in hooks, stick to the Gamakatsu I'd say, unfortunately the Mustads are blunt as balls when compared to the Gamakatsus & from what I've read you want an ultra sharp hook to penetrate the hard jaws of tigers.
    Last edited by Scythe; 26-03-08 at 01:03 PM.
    "Hierdie drol het baie vlieŽ" - Ago 2014.

Grant, I am no expert on Tigers, but I do have a few concerns. Take them as you may.

1. Circle hook are not good for Tigers, they just don’t hold fish.
    2. You can never "under dress" a hook for a Tiger.
    3. It seems that they prefer a two tone fly, with a third colour at the head of the fly.
    4. The preferred method for the dumbbell eyes on the inside of the bend.
    5. The preferred length is 3 to 4 inches.
    6. Attach your trace while you have then in the vice, using a hey-wire twist. (sp)
    7. Use a double coat of epoxy to cover the thread wraps at the head of the fly.

Call François at Frontier, Tigers are his speciality.
    Mike McKeown

You're either fishing or waiting...

Mike I go along with your comments, especially re underdressing the fly, eye positioning, circle hooks and epoxy. The other thing which may come in useful is to tie using thin wire, ILO thread, such as used for turbo dubbing machines for greater durability.
    The more you know, the less you need (Aboriginal Australian proverb)

Only dead fish swim with the stream (Malcolm Muggeridge)

Hi

I agree about the circle hooks and the two tone flies. The ones that worked for me in Josini also had a bit of flash on the lateral line.

I picked up some tigertail (I think) from a bead shop for traces for my next trip (haven’t used it yet). It is basically thin wire coated with some rubbery plastic (used as the string when beading) and should be less rigid that a piano wire trace and still give you some protection against the razor sharp teeth. It also seems soft enough to use 'normal' knots.

Cheers
    Jacques

Calling fishing a hobby is like calling brain surgery a job. ~Paul Schullery

The flash should just be 2 pieces, on either side of the fly... from what I have seen in effective fly's...

Grant - Fire Tigers get lots of fish, but I believe that they do not account for the big ones... maybe you should get your numbers on them, and then change up...
    Mike McKeown

You're either fishing or waiting...

Shot guys! Ja I know nuthin about what the tigers want so i am glad for all the comments.

Mike, the dumbells at the bend, is that to use the shank as an extra bite trace?

Bertu - that SF Fibre is very lekker stuff! It seems the best synthetic to use and still get a nice taper to the fly. All the flies above use SF Fibre.

What do you guys think of hook size? I have heard guys say 4/0 is preferred, but i didn't have any so i've been using 2/0's (They are mustad - I will look for the gamakatsus). I'll chuck the Circles - they don't really seem to be much good for anything really!

One more question on the fire tiger - is it not a bit long for the hook size?

The robbers I tied from looking at pictures in Skelton's Freshwater book. There are two species of robbers that they use for Tigerfish bait in the area we will be in (Can't remember the names of them now). The Larger Robber Clouser should have a black mark at the base of the tail but i haven't put that on the flies yet. The one he immitates gets to about 14cm. The other has a black head like in the baby robber and only gets to about 8cm so i tied that one a bit smaller. I must say the large robber looks like a nice colour combo for the salt too.

Shot for the PM Korrie - I will give you a shout when I get a chance.
    "So hereís my point. Donít go and get your ego all out of proportion because you can tie a fly and catch a fish thatís dumb enough to eat a car key.." - Louis Cahill - Gink and Gasoline

Quote Originally Posted by gkieser View Post
    What do you guys think of hook size? I have heard guys say 4/0 is preferred, but i didn't have any so i've been using 2/0's (They are mustad - I will look for the gamakatsus). I'll chuck the Circles - they don't really seem to be much good for anything really!
    Grant , I've got some 4/0 Gamakatsus for you. Doubt if I'll use them soon.
    Rudolph
    No matter how busy you may think you are, you must find time for reading, or surrender yourself to self-chosen ignorance.
    Confucius

Quote Originally Posted by gkieser View Post
    Shot guys! Ja I know nuthin about what the tigers want so i am glad for all the comments.

Mike, the dumbells at the bend, is that to use the shank as an extra bite trace?

Bertu - that SF Fibre is very lekker stuff! It seems the best synthetic to use and still get a nice taper to the fly. All the flies above use SF Fibre.

One more question on the fire tiger - is it not a bit long for the hook size?

The robbers I tied from looking at pictures in Skelton's Freshwater book. There are two species of robbers that they use for Tigerfish bait in the area we will be in (Can't remember the names of them now). The Larger Robber Clouser should have a black mark at the base of the tail but i haven't put that on the flies yet. The one he immitates gets to about 14cm. The other has a black head like in the baby robber and only gets to about 8cm so i tied that one a bit smaller. I must say the large robber looks like a nice colour combo for the salt too.

Shot for the PM Korrie - I will give you a shout when I get a chance.
    Hi Grant
    The latest on the hooks that I experienced and heard is thin wire hooks, get better penetration, better hook-ups. Don't worry about too small. Anything from 1/0 will be good. Remember small hooks catch big fish, but big hooks don't always catch small fish. Short shank hooks seems to be favoured.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast