Thread: Saturday:The good,the bad...and the ugly

Default Saturday:The good,the bad...and the ugly

Well, I went fishing on saturday in bothaville area. From 11 till 4. The good news is, the rock snot(old mans beard is finally gone), but the bad news is that it seems most of the fish also. The factors I took into account was river flowing lower than usual (about 20-25cubics), the viz was down, maybe 10-15cm. The barometer would have dropped with the front moving in, the souring heat (35C) and a hell of a north western wind. The ugly was the fact that water had a greenish colour to it, might be due to decomposing snot upstream, or most lightly the high level on pollution upstream. Managed 4 fish, 3 smallies 1 muddie, 1kg-1,8kg. Got smoked by larger fish. Patterns working was flies with build in orange or redish hotspot #12-14.
    Dirk Human

Flyfishing for yellows...the most fun a man can have, with his clothes on, while standing up, holding a bar of gold in your hands.

Quote Originally Posted by Barbus13 View Post
    Well, I went fishing on saturday in bothaville area. From 11 till 4. The good news is, the rock snot(old mans beard is finally gone), but the bad news is that it seems most of the fish also. The factors I took into account was river flowing lower than usual (about 20-25cubics), the viz was down, maybe 10-15cm. The barometer would have dropped with the front moving in, the souring heat (35C) and a hell of a north western wind. The ugly was the fact that water had a greenish colour to it, might be due to decomposing snot upstream, or most lightly the high level on pollution upstream. Managed 4 fish, 3 smallies 1 muddie, 1kg-1,8kg. Got smoked by larger fish. Patterns working was flies with build in orange or redish hotspot #12-14.
    Good to hear the snot is gone, but for the rest of it, the snot being gone might also have something to do with the fish numbers, remember they had more structure with it there.

The other factors you have named would also have somthing to do with it though.

Where I went fishing it was also a bit slower than usual, but I managed 15 fish from 11:00 to 15:00, lucky enough to find the fish.

Hi Pieter. Seems it hit-or miss situation at the moment. Guys 1km upstream get 50 fish and you only 5 fish. Well that's life. You need those blank or bad days to get yourself back to ground.
    Dirk Human

Flyfishing for yellows...the most fun a man can have, with his clothes on, while standing up, holding a bar of gold in your hands.

The rock snot is a double edged sword really.

Sure you break off and lose more fish but on the flipside, more fish are around due to the cover and _food_ that lives inside/on the rock snot.

When I last fished Elgro (no comments PK, ) I found nearly all my fish (aside from the LM) in and around the snot. Same thing at Rocky Ridge about 3 weekends ago, 1 * SM, 8 * Carp and about 18 * Barbel came to my hands as I stood no more than 5M away from several big bushes of water vegetation and suckerpunched these guys repetitively.

Personally I also like the fact that it makes your fishing more technical as you can't just gooi and forget, you have to present, plan for drag/line movement over/around the vegetation and then if you're lucky enough you get a take on your snot free drift.
    "Hierdie drol het baie vlieŽ" - Ago 2014.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Scythe View Post
    The rock snot is a double edged sword really.

Sure you break off and lose more fish but on the flipside, more fish are around due to the cover and _food_ that lives inside/on the rock snot.

When I last fished Elgro (no comments PK, ) I found nearly all my fish (aside from the LM) in and around the snot. Same thing at Rocky Ridge about 3 weekends ago, 1 * SM, 8 * Carp and about 18 * Barbel came to my hands as I stood no more than 5M away from several big bushes of water vegetation and suckerpunched these guys repetitively.

Personally I also like the fact that it makes your fishing more technical as you can't just gooi and forget, you have to present, plan for drag/line movement over/around the vegetation and then if you're lucky enough you get a take on your snot free drift.
    So true, first month I cursed the snot...but I started fishing the "channels" between the snot, made my leader set-up shorter, not totally connecting to riverbed, used heavier flies, and drop-shots, shorter cast. Also fished heavier leaders, due to amount of lost fish. And after this w/kend...I WANT MY FREAKEN' LAWN BACK
    Dirk Human