Page 1 of 11 12345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: untapped WC waters

Default untapped WC waters

For all you guys who don't like to travel too far, let me introduce you to Rietvlei in Tableview. I have never fished it personally, because I have never been interested in carp, and it is for this reason that I will share it so openly with you. From my observations on horseback I can tell you with confidence that the river that feeds the vlei is full of carp...big buggers too. Not only are there carp, but there are Tilapia a plenty and also huge Springer. These fish just have to provide fantastic sport on a fly rod. One need only see a Springer clear 2 metres of water in one single jump to realise this, and I have seen plenty! Do yourselves a favour and check it out.
    "Innocence is a wild trout. But we humans, being complicated, have to pursue innocence in complex ways" - Datus Proper

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Shelton View Post
    For all you guys who don't like to travel too far, let me introduce you to Rietvlei in Tableview. I have never fished it personally, because I have never been interested in carp, and it is for this reason that I will share it so openly with you. From my observations on horseback I can tell you with confidence that the river that feeds the vlei is full of carp...big buggers too. Not only are there carp, but there are Tilapia a plenty and also huge Springer. These fish just have to provide fantastic sport on a fly rod. One need only see a Springer clear 2 metres of water in one single jump to realise this, and I have seen plenty! Do yourselves a favour and check it out.
    I have caught some decent carp on fly at the old farm(which is now gone) next to the Killarney bridge.Not sure about access to that piece of water now.

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur View Post
    I have caught some decent carp on fly at the old farm(which is now gone) next to the Killarney bridge.Not sure about access to that piece of water now.
    One can get easy access by taking the turn off to Milnerton Riding School. The turn off is on the South side of Killarney race track. There are also spots where I have seen carp anglers (papgooiers) fishing closer to the vlei itself. These spots are accessed by taking the first turn off to the left as you enter Tableview from the Caltex refinery side.
    "Innocence is a wild trout. But we humans, being complicated, have to pursue innocence in complex ways" - Datus Proper

I am sorry if I have just given your secret away Arthur. I would love to see fly fishermen there though because I have only ever seen papgooiers.

One can get easy access by taking the turn off to Milnerton Riding School. The turn off is on the South side of Killarney race track. There are also spots where I have seen carp anglers (papgooiers) fishing closer to the vlei itself. These spots are accessed by taking the first turn off to the left as you enter Tableview from the Caltex refinery side.
    Never thought of access from that side.What's it like safety wise?

I have checked out the spots closer to the vlei but was not that happy compared to the old farm.Also I did not feel safe down there.

If you park at the riding school, it is as safe as can be. The cars are all in clear site of the school. There is usually always someone keeping an eye out at any given time

Hi Chris,

Springer? as in Skipjack? Are you sure they weren't mullet? I believe there are some big ones in there.

Cheers
    Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by gkieser View Post
    Hi Chris,

Springer? as in Skipjack? Are you sure they weren't mullet? I believe there are some big ones in there.

Cheers
    Grant.
    Grant, according to my dad, they are Springer, if such a thing exists. We used to see them often when out horseriding together. I nearly had my head taken off by one one day! They look like mullet to me....I'm not sure if they are the same thing.....but man, can those things jump!

Grant, according to my dad, they are Springer, if such a thing exists. We used to see them often when out horseriding together. I nearly had my head taken off by one one day! They look like mullet to me....I'm not sure if they are the same thing.....but man, can those things jump!
    They are basically a large mullet - I know some of the older guys call them springer.

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur View Post
    They are basically a large mullet - I know some of the older guys call them springer.
    And large they are! The one that nearly decapitated me while wading through on horseback was easy in the 6 to 8 pound class....no sh1t!

Page 1 of 11 12345678910 ... LastLast