Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread: untapped WC waters

Quote Originally Posted by Nepptune View Post
    Hey Chris, thanks for the heads up on this spot...As a relative newbie to this part of the world fishing wise, its great to have any info from folks like yourself about waters we can fish etc.
    Gotta say its one of the many things I really love about this site, is the willingness of all on here to share information and the stoke of angling.... Numerous other boards I check out from time to time have so little traffic, because no one wants to share any info...Its nuts!!

So my thanks for this Chris, and all others who so willingly share their time, info and attitude with others on here!!! Tonight I'll raise me glass and me smoke in thanks to all you fine fellows!!!

Nepps
    Only a pleasure Andre. How about targeting some of those Springer sometime and giving us your feedback? I would love to know why they jump like that though.....do you think they are taking something on the surface, or just getting rid of excess energy, or perhaps being chased by something larger....much larger?
    "Innocence is a wild trout. But we humans, being complicated, have to pursue innocence in complex ways" - Datus Proper

Tequila??? "A" Tequila???? there is no such thing - they hunt in packs.

Anyways - I remember Neil posted on the old flychat site (in the carp/catfish forum) about possibly getting access to fish rietvlei from the yacht club? He gave a number but I did not take it down at the time. He said it may be possible to park in the yacht club and access the water from there - that should increase the saftey asepct.

Springer are what the older guys call the bull-nosed or flathead mullet. These fish are often found living in fresh water and used to be caught with flying ants in the old days. They get big.....SA record stands around 4.5kg and they are flipping strong. I've caught some in the 3kilo class on conventional tackle and they are frightening!!!

Quote Originally Posted by gkieser View Post

Anyways - I remember Neil posted on the old flychat site (in the carp/catfish forum) about possibly getting access to fish rietvlei from the yacht club? He gave a number but I did not take it down at the time. He said it may be possible to park in the yacht club and access the water from there - that should increase the saftey asepct.
    Yes you are right,one Tequila always leads to another.

You can fish at the Yacht club if you have a Inland fishing permit but they charge you for the privelege - I think it was about 50 bucks last time I went.The other downside is that fishing is only allowed currently at 5 "sites" which are suited to papgooing and which encompass only a small part of the vlei.The rest of the place is off limits for anglers.

Quote Originally Posted by gkieser View Post

Yes, that is a possibility, but it is quite a distance from the main channel that feeds the vlei. I would rather park at the nursery at the end of Gee road.......1st road left off Blouberg Rd in Tableview
    "Innocence is a wild trout. But we humans, being complicated, have to pursue innocence in complex ways" - Datus Proper

Quote Originally Posted by noweeds View Post
    Springer are what the older guys call the bull-nosed or flathead mullet. These fish are often found living in fresh water and used to be caught with flying ants in the old days. They get big.....SA record stands around 4.5kg and they are flipping strong. I've caught some in the 3kilo class on conventional tackle and they are frightening!!!
    I caught a 8 pound bull nose mullet at De Mond in my early saltwater flyfishing years. I wrote an article backed with a photo of the fish in one of the old Piscators in the last decade. Flip, I can concure with the fighting ability of these fish....clean fighters but they give a strong and steady pull that strips more than 100metres of backing off your reel in the blink of an eye! I had no idea they were the same thing! Thanks for the info!

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Shelton View Post
    Only a pleasure Andre. How about targeting some of those Springer sometime and giving us your feedback? I would love to know why they jump like that though.....do you think they are taking something on the surface, or just getting rid of excess energy, or perhaps being chased by something larger....much larger?
    Chris, just to clear this up....we are talking about Mullet here right? As in Harders, as in those things we all used as live bait when we were younger ( and I still do!!! ), not the Springer/Skipjack/Ladyfish ( Elops machnata )....

So we are talking about these:

Not these right?

Either are fun as hell to catch...... But tactics are a little different!!
    *** TO RIDE, SHOOT STRAIGHT AND SPEAK THE TRUTH ***

Some people are like Slinkies.... Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over. - Hunter S. Thompson

Chris, just to clear this up....we are talking about Mullet here right? As in Harders, as in those things we all used as live bait when we were younger ( and I still do!!! ), not the Springer/Skipjack/Ladyfish ( Elops machnata )....

So we are talking about these:

Not these right?

Either are fun as hell to catch...... But tactics are a little different!!
    I would imagine they are the top ones....didn't get a close enough look. The water is pretty discoloured, so you only get a fleeting glimpse of them flying through the air. I don't think you get skippies down here in the Cape do you?

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Shelton View Post
    I don't think you get skippies down here in the Cape do you?

I didn't think so!
    Well they must be mullet then, which I am more than happy to chase!!!
    Who is up for a mission out that way????
    *** TO RIDE, SHOOT STRAIGHT AND SPEAK THE TRUTH ***

Some people are like Slinkies.... Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over. - Hunter S. Thompson

I didn't think so!
    Well they must be mullet then, which I am more than happy to chase!!!
    Who is up for a mission out that way????
    It seems that Arthur knows his way around pretty well. You guys should hook up

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast