Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Surf Candy

Default Surf Candy

Guys,

Do any of you use Surf Candy's here in SA?

They look pretty good to me but I have not seen them in any of the recommendations or catch reports.

I was thinking of trying to tie some for the De-mond trip as they look quite simple (maybe I'll change my tune once trying to figure out how the epoxy works).

I have used them already but had no success as yet

Grant

Creating them the way Bob Popovic seems to do so easily in his Pop Fleyes book is easier said than done!!! !! I have tied many, but have not yet managed to achieve anything close to his examples...
    Then again, I don't pretend to be the finest of tiers, and seeing your work, I have no doubt you will pull off some good ones.
    I have fished them a lot over the years, and caught a few very good fish on them in the Caribbean ( Mainly Snapper and small Tarpon, as well as plenty Jack's/Trevally )
    The great thing about them is that they can be tied to represent so many baitfish just by alternating the colours and materials.
    I found the Silicone Candy to be a great fly to fish in Shallow waters.... sits just subsurface and pushes a nice wake. I have no doubt they would be great for leeries in calm water.
    The epoxy versions are also about the toughest fly on the planet! You can take ten shad on one and the thing barely looks beaten. Once it does get a bit chewed, a layer of Sally Hansen and you are back to normal!

Hows your week looking? Maybe a tying session sometime...Thursday evening maybe?
    *** TO RIDE, SHOOT STRAIGHT AND SPEAK THE TRUTH ***

Some people are like Slinkies.... Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over. - Hunter S. Thompson

Shot Andre!

I am still waiting for my copy of Pop Fleyes. Hopefully in the next day or two. I was going to try copy a tying sequence I found on the net.

Thursday looks good for me - I think it's the swambo's book club night so let's do it!

Quote Originally Posted by gkieser View Post
    Shot Andre!

I am still waiting for my copy of Pop Fleyes. Hopefully in the next day or two. I was going to try copy a tying sequence I found on the net.

Thursday looks good for me - I think it's the swambo's book club night so let's do it!
    Sounds good mate! I have a copy I'll bring if yours doesn't arrive in time!! I got a rather large collection of other titles you may enjoy as well!

A

Some people are like Slinkies.... Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over. - Hunter S. Thompson

Hi Grant,

We have the Surf Candy tying sequence on the main site. In my opinion the Surf Candy lacks movement when tied in the conventional manner. Supreme Hair doesn't offer much movement. A rabbit Candy with a zonker tail or tying a conehead into the body (Deepwater candy) offer more movement.

Cheers,

Philip

Quote Originally Posted by Nepptune View Post
    Sounds good mate! I have a copy I'll bring if yours doesn't arrive in time!! I got a rather large collection of other titles you may enjoy as well!

A
    Is this session open to one more k@kpraater? I'll bring the entertainment...

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Cox View Post
    Is this session open to one more k@kpraater? I'll bring the entertainment...
    For shizzle mate, lets plan it for Thirsday night then!

Gogga Banned User

Bob is an awesome tyer and fisherman,

I really like his hollow fly and buck-tail deceiver - both have proved to be deadly fish takers.

The semper fly is another one not to be overlooked - tied in traditional red and white or blue and white with silver flash and perhaps a few black lines across the back with a permanent marker, and you have the fly version of the Rapala CD - possibly the best fish taker ever invented.

see http://www.aswf.org/saltwater_flies_...deceiver.html#

For tying instructions on all of the above flies

All the Best
    Mike
    Last edited by Gogga; 06-12-06 at 06:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gogga View Post

The sempler fly is another one not to be overlooked - tied in traditional red and white or blue and white with silver flash and perhaps a few black lines across the back with a permanent marker, and you have the fly version of the Rapala CD - possibly the best fish taker ever invented.

All the Best
    Mike
    Too right Mike!! The Semper is an incredible fly and is responsible for most of the Big GT's taken off the Zululand Coast and the Mtentu River by the Ufudu guys....
    Simple fly with incredible movement!

Agree with Fish too on the Zonker and Rabbit strip versions of the Candy, both in epoxy and Silicone versions.... Great movement in these flies!

Bob Popovic is an amazing inovator!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast