Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: A day on Boarmans Chase

Quote Originally Posted by FlyGuide.co.za View Post
    Hi Gary

We did not walk all the way into Tinto, as Darryl had a sore back at the time. Going down the vert cliffs into Tinto is not for the faint-hearted. The water was great, so walking further down was not required at all. We had awesome fishing!
    Yup, and I was feeling faint-hearted at the time Mario, I posted the pic of your fish on the Flytalk Gallery - called Fall Rainbow. Will put together a CD and mail it down to you - let me know if you want any in the interim and I will mail them when I get home tonight.

Regards,
    Darryl
    “Apparently people don't like the truth, but I do like it; I like it because it upsets a lot of people. If you show them enough times that their arguments are bullshit, then maybe just once, one of them will say, 'Oh! Wait a minute - I was wrong.' I live for that happening. Rare, I assure you” ― Lemmy Kilmister

Reap the Whirlwind - WM

Paradise = A 3wt Rod & a fist full of someone else's #32 parachutes

Quote Originally Posted by dlampert View Post
    Yup, and I was feeling faint-hearted at the time Mario, I posted the pic of your fish on the Flytalk Gallery - called Fall Rainbow. Will put together a CD and mail it down to you - let me know if you want any in the interim and I will mail them when I get home tonight.

Regards,
    Darryl
    Thanks D, no worry about mailing them, the CD will be MUCH appreciated. Gonna check the Gallery now-now!
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

We were able to spot them easily, and even keeping well out of view, they spooked for the fly landing on the water. They spooked at the fly on its way to the water… I managed to get 16 foot of leader to turn over perfectly and the fly line wasn’t even near them and as that “Minky Se Klinky” touched down at least meter and a half, ahead of the fish, they scattered.

I got smashed up at the top of the bedrock section, but it was the first touch of the day… that was a good 15” fish… I got one fish on the flat water at the halfway out… measured it at 13”, hardest fish of the week…

I have to say, we knew we were pushing it, as it had been fished hard for 2 weeks, and Daryl need to be dragged through it.

Gates Head produced 1 fish per person in my party on Saturday, and 25 per person the day before, and there were 8 of them…

It must be the guide…
    Mike McKeown

You're either fishing or waiting...

Quote Originally Posted by MaXiMuM View Post
    I have to say, we knew we were pushing it, as it had been fished hard for 2 weeks, and Daryl need to be dragged through it.

Gates Head produced 1 fish per person in my party on Saturday, and 25 per person the day before, and there were 8 of them…
    Our streams are fragile. Fishing them that hard will spook our educated fish no end!!

It must be the guide…
    Local is Lekker!!
    Mario Geldenhuys

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

We were able to spot them easily, and even keeping well out of view, they spooked for the fly landing on the water. They spooked at the fly on its way to the water… I managed to get 16 foot of leader to turn over perfectly and the fly line wasn’t even near them and as that “Minky Se Klinky” touched down at least meter and a half, ahead of the fish, they scattered.
    Aahh, that was your problem, Minki has "two" many curvy bits to touch down gently - she would have belly-flopped in every pool and spooked the lot With Mario most of our fish were caught on nymphs (my CDC nymph and whatever Mario was fishing) with the odd one taking my hopper. I think we caught on dries towards the end of the beat - or should I say Mario caught on dries and I missed most of the takes Way too much water for me to fish in a day - I prefer fishing a lot slower.

I got smashed up at the top of the bedrock section, but it was the first touch of the day… that was a good 15” fish… I got one fish on the flat water at the halfway out… measured it at 13”, hardest fish of the week…
    If it was the pool before the big waterfall with the large rock on the right then it was probably the fish that was already swimming around with my hopper and nymph in his mouth

Fished Gateshead with Tom & Ed on the Saturday before we left - plenty of fish. Fished my CDC nymph most of the day and occasionally changed to a HCM when they were rising. Lovely water !

It must be the guide…
    Thats the way fishing goes otherwise it would be called catching
    Last edited by dlampert; 14-04-08 at 01:53 PM.
    “Apparently people don't like the truth, but I do like it; I like it because it upsets a lot of people. If you show them enough times that their arguments are bullshit, then maybe just once, one of them will say, 'Oh! Wait a minute - I was wrong.' I live for that happening. Rare, I assure you” ― Lemmy Kilmister

Reap the Whirlwind - WM

I threw ¾ of my box at them, the fly that actually took the fish was a CDC / CaneRat / Klinki Emerger, you can see it in my profile… the nymphs sent them scattering for the hills, the dry, just put them down… I think we raised 8 fish all day, and pricked another 4 on nymphs…

No it was the last pool, before the fence pool, the little one at the top of the flat rocks, I wasn’t really going to fish it hard, but on my second drift, it came up for a Stimulator, and I pricked it, so we rested it while we had lunch and then the first drift with a Para Klinki, and it ate with confidence, 2 seconds latter, it had my Klinki, and I had my 5X busted... on my twin...

Gates was as pretty as it gets, we walked to the big waterfall, than started fishing. I was hoping that we walked around the water that had been fished hard, but evidently not… we presses right into the gorge and found no fish, it seemed the fish stopped 2 pools abouve the aquarium, ( large pool, 3m deep).

It proceeded to rain on us from 10.30 till 1pm and then again from 2pm till we got back to the car, at 4.30. and got stuck in the buckie just before the unfinished houses. That was after we had consumed all of the road straightening mutty.

A long, unproductive, wet day, but by far the prettiest… that was truly about the fishing…
    Mike McKeown

Gates was as pretty as it gets, we walked to the big waterfall, than started fishing. I was hoping that we walked around the water that had been fished hard, but evidently not… we presses right into the gorge and found no fish, it seemed the fish stopped 2 pools abouve the aquarium, ( large pool, 3m deep).
    We had good fishing up to the big waterfall - caught 3 or 4 in the waterfall pool. Fished on my own after that - ended up about 500m - 750m above the fence crossing before turning back due to dodgy weather. Lots of very willing fish but fewer then below the waterfall.

It proceeded to rain on us from 10.30 till 1pm and then again from 2pm till we got back to the car, at 4.30. and got stuck in the buckie just before the unfinished houses. That was after we had consumed all of the road straightening mutty.
    I got a lift back with Basie - with the Mongolian hordes after us the houses and roads were a blur

Reap the Whirlwind - WM

Mike, I seriously don't know how you guys could even manage to prick or hook fish after a few days of them being dusted in really low and clear water!

Once Dave gets the Catch Returns all figured out, I'll do a beat comparison according to date (and take angler type/skill into consideration), and you'll see the steady decline of fish landed after a few good days on the Upper streams.

The fish are clever, and giving them toothaches is long remembered.
    Mario Geldenhuys

Quote Originally Posted by FlyGuide.co.za View Post
    The fish are clever, and giving them toothaches is long remembered.
    I have no doubt about that... it always get tough when the water is down, but after a few weeks of hard fishing, it is seriously difficalt...

I pricked one fish after it had ben regected by 4 fish before it, but I had a good drag free drift going, so I just left it, then right from the back of the pool, a fish came up, gave it a good stair and then ate, one of those long rises... then I went and missed it, I had to give myself a good "straff dop"...
    Mike McKeown

Quote Originally Posted by dlampert View Post
    Here are a couple of pics of a great days fishing with Mario Geldenhuys on Boarmans Chase on the Upper Bell in Rhodes. We caught heaps of the hardest fighting and best conditioned wild river rainbows I have ever had the pleasure to fish for - a really great days fishing !

That is tremendous...

2 yrs back I caught Rainbows in the Berg river near Franschoek....best time I have had in yonks.....

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3