Thread: How to .....

Default How to .....

I am hoping that someone can help me out here with some info....

I see many of you pleasent folk mention catching Carp on the fly, and these fish are found all over.

The other day i read a note on a yank site about how the popularity of fishing for Carp is increasing due to the abundance of these specific fish.

I agree with those of you who say that Carp do not put up a spectacular fight but i must admit that i can clearly recall getting smoked by Carp on many occasion on a "Pap rod" and they sure can take off with your line in tow.

I would realy appreciate it if some of the more experienced amoungst us could post some info on how to go about hooking the buggers....

So far all that i can find out is:
    -You must sight fish to feeding fish or else it is a matter of luck

Surely amongst such a distinguished group of experts there is more info available than just this.

I dont know, maby i just cant find the info already noted. If so please help direct me to the right thread

Thanks to all you distinguished folk (Ladies and Gents) for your time

On our site is an article by Sean Mills who is very knowledgeable on Carp fishing. He also posts on this forum so you may leave a question in the thread should you require any more information.

http://www.flytalk.co.za/readArticle.php?p_id=6

Enjoy !!

Default Thanks

Thanks Pierre

I will follow the thread and see where it leads.

I am sure that it leads to Gold

Thanks again

Wade

Default I did follow

Thanks Pierre

I followed the link and the info was realy helpfull. I am looking forward to putting it to the test
    The best day to go fishing is any day that ends in a "y"

You welcome Wade, hope you have loads of fun catching them

Regards

Wade

I caught my first carp on the fly only last week so I'm by no means a expert.
    What I did was to throw a whole lot of white bread onto the surface of the dam. Then I threw a white bread fly, basically just white deer hair, that i bought from Sean Mills in between the pieces. Go 2 takes, one which I landed.
    Did this at about 19:00, when the carp started rising.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Methos View Post
    Wade

I caught my first carp on the fly only last week so I'm by no means a expert.
    What I did was to throw a whole lot of white bread onto the surface of the dam. Then I threw a white bread fly, basically just white deer hair, that i bought from Sean Mills in between the pieces. Go 2 takes, one which I landed.
    Did this at about 19:00, when the carp started rising.

Cheers
    Thanks for that info Methos

I will give it a try and see

Thanks again
    The best day to go fishing is any day that ends in a "y"

I am not sure i'd say they are boring fighters. They can have explosive runs and the ones I have encountered also fight dirty! They'll head for any reads and sit in currents and anything else to get away from you. That makes them quite exciting in my book. Not Quite a yellowfish, but still one helluva jol and probably the best chance for most of us to catch a 10kg+ freshwater fish!