Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: 12 Weight Setups

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Western Cape
    Posts
    96

    Default 12 Weight Setups

    Busy looking at putting together a 12 weight setup for some deep reef fishing.
    Anyone out there have any feedback on the Shimano 12# rods? They are very reasonably priced and I have never been let down by a shimano product.
    Also any recommendation on a 12 Weight reel that wont break the bank but has a decent cork or Teflon drag? And phew... lastly, what line should by be looking at to get my megaclousers to the bottom asap.
    Any help is appreciated.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Exmouth, West Australia
    Posts
    616

    Default

    What are you chasing?

    The shimano should be fine, although I've never used one. The reel is most important though.

    A Shilton SL7 is what you want, not sure how much you want to spend though. Remember, you get what you pay for in this game.

    For lines on a 12wt, you want something that matches the rod. Scientific Angler make a great line with an integrated sinking head, on an intermediate running line. I'd use that if I were you. You want something that you can cast and that sinks enough to get your fly down.

    Depends where you're fishing, but I'd go for a Tropic Express in 450 grain (10-13wt).

    My 2c, hope this helps

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Western Cape
    Posts
    96

    Default

    Thanks Jono,
    I will be fishing in Bali on the first trip, and Maldives on the second trip. Will be also taking an 8/9 weight setup, so the 12 would be for Kingfish etc.
    Will look into the Shilton and the Scientific line.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Exmouth, West Australia
    Posts
    616

    Default

    This is the line I'm referring to:

    http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3...TropicExpress/

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Unfortunately up in Jhb but travel countrywide
    Posts
    104

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Brin Kushner View Post
    Busy looking at putting together a 12 weight setup for some deep reef fishing.
    Anyone out there have any feedback on the Shimano 12# rods? They are very reasonably priced and I have never been let down by a shimano product.
    Also any recommendation on a 12 Weight reel that wont break the bank but has a decent cork or Teflon drag? And phew... lastly, what line should by be looking at to get my megaclousers to the bottom asap.
    Any help is appreciated.
    Hello Brin...

    You may be chasing your dream fish, so my suggestion in general is rather to spend a bit more money and purchase the tried and tested equipment. You can get good quality rods from R1200 upwards. For reels, I think you can also get good reels from R1300 upwards. In terms of lines, I have found a density compensated line to work far better than the integrated shooting head system.

    Enjoy Bali and Maldives.

    Regards
    Sudesh

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Western Cape
    Posts
    96

    Default

    Thanks Sudesh. Appreciate the valuable input. Hoping to do one of your guided trips at Kosi in the near future.
    rgds
    Brin

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Western Cape
    Posts
    7,613

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sudesh Pursad View Post
    Hello Brin...

    You may be chasing your dream fish, so my suggestion in general is rather to spend a bit more money and purchase the tried and tested equipment. You can get good quality rods from R1200 upwards. For reels, I think you can also get good reels from R1300 upwards. In terms of lines, I have found a density compensated line to work far better than the integrated shooting head system.

    Enjoy Bali and Maldives.

    Regards
    Sudesh
    Hey Sudesh, how you buddy? good to see you on the forum
    Andre

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Exmouth, West Australia
    Posts
    616

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jono Shales View Post
    Hey Jono

    The Albright Tempest reels were discontinued some time ago already, and that's why the prices are low on them on that site (being sold on close-out sales). It's a bloody bargain to be honest, the only problem being spares for them of course, as they no longer produce them. The Albright brand has always tried to make good quality tackle more affordable to the general fly fisher, and the Tempest reels were just too expensive.
    They have been replaced by the Albright GPX reels, which is a damn fine reel at a very reasonable price, with a sealed disc drag, and totally saltwater safe. Also machined from T6061 Aluminium. a Gem of a reel, but only goes up to 9/10 weight. I suppose loaded with braid as backing, it can serve on a 12wt rod no problem...the reel is certainly robust enough.

    However, the Tempest reels at that price is a real bargain, and a fantastic reel with a brilliant drag system.

    Mike

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Unfortunately up in Jhb but travel countrywide
    Posts
    104

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Brin Kushner View Post
    Thanks Sudesh. Appreciate the valuable input. Hoping to do one of your guided trips at Kosi in the near future.
    rgds
    Brin
    You are most welcome Brin. Hope to see you at Kosi soon.

    regards
    Sudesh

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •