Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314

Thread: Flashy profile flies

Quote Originally Posted by chris williams View Post
    We are talking about flies, not appendages here?..
    PICS not prics! Have you gone and broken your spectacles outside the Little Shanghai? Again?
    "I'm just a beer drinker with a flyfishing problem"

Quote Originally Posted by rory View Post
    As promised heres the pic, sorry its a little dark, but a very simple pattern, hackle for the tail for some movement and then bucktail. Nice big eye like the natural. I suppose its half a mini slammer Because I mainly fish the surf the fly is heavily weighted to break through the waves. The fly is about 8cm long which is about the size of my personal best pinky
    Hehe, Rory, awesome, awesome fly! It makes me feel good about mine as well, since mine looks like a synthetic version of the same pattern! And I tied it before I even saw yours! I don't do a lot of saltwater flies with natural materials, but your fly makes it look like a worthwhile endeavour.. I'll see if I can post a pic of mine this afternoon, along with some other flashy suggestions for next season's (or this winter's ) leeries..

Cheers..
    "I think I fish, in part, because it's an anti-social, bohemian business that, when gone about properly, puts you forever outside the mainstream culture without actually landing you in an institution." John Gierach

Thanks Leroy, I must admit I'm can't wait to give this fly a bash. I think I had better tie a bunch up in synthetics as well.

Very nice fly RAWRy, now where is that SBS ?
    "Hierdie drol het baie vlieŽ" - Ago 2014.

Quote Originally Posted by Scythe View Post
    Very nice fly RAWRy, now where is that SBS ?
    Eish! I need another day in the week! I'll try have it up on the weekend.

Heh, good shtuff ... I don't need it, can tie it based on what my eyes see, but it would be a great addition to the SBS Index and I think it's a great fly, definately going to take some on the next Kosi and EC trips.
    "Hierdie drol het baie vlieŽ" - Ago 2014.

Some more flies..
    The one at the top is my imitation of a pinky, incorporating a little bit of pink for western cape leeries, and a rattle for eastern cape ones. The fly at the bottom is a little size 1 minnow in a colour blatantly stolen from one of Juan's Sempers that Paul posted earlier in this thread. The one in the middle is based on the 'when in doubt' principle.
    Hopefully one of these can rub some fish the wrong way..
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "I think I fish, in part, because it's an anti-social, bohemian business that, when gone about properly, puts you forever outside the mainstream culture without actually landing you in an institution." John Gierach

Quote Originally Posted by LeRoy View Post
    Some more flies..
    The one at the top is my imitation of a pinky, incorporating a little bit of pink for western cape leeries, and a rattle for eastern cape ones. The fly at the bottom is a little size 1 minnow in a colour blatantly stolen from one of Juan's Sempers that Paul posted earlier in this thread. The one in the middle is based on the 'when in doubt' principle.
    Hopefully one of these can rub some fish the wrong way..
    Those have to work! I dig that pinky, looks awesome, best I haul out the old slinky fibre!

Quote Originally Posted by rory View Post
    Those have to work! I dig that pinky, looks awesome, best I haul out the old slinky fibre!
    Thanks, Rory! I doubt a shift in materials will be necessary, though.. I am seriously impressed with what you came up with using some hair and feathers!

Quote Originally Posted by LeRoy View Post
    Thanks, Rory! I doubt a shift in materials will be necessary, though..
    Right, I had to give it a bash! Heres my "slinky pinky"
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314