Thread: aluminium dumbell eyes

Default aluminium dumbell eyes

I have been using 5mm dumbell eyes with painted on eyes, however the only ones that I can find in cape town is either BIG lead eyes that is way to heavy to cast or BIG aluminium eyes that I have seen often on mega clousers. My question is, if I use these eyes on my 1/O hooks, wouldn't they hinder hookups? or would you guys rather recommend them for bigger hooks. The size I can get is 8mm eyes.

thanks guys
    Photography Rules!
    www.dewaldkirsten.co.za

Gaza Banned User

Default Alu Eyes

I use these eyes when tying size 4-8 Clousers , for of-shore work , from the boat , or to cast of the beach with a 10-12wt rod. These eyes , to my understanding , are designed for building casting flies , as opposed to Mega Clousers with heavy lead eyes , which don't get cast , but "lobbed" out , and rely on the weighted line to get down.
    I used both version in Moz in May , and they served their purposes as intended.

Ive found that using these eyes my fly doesnt swim "clouser" style......tends to do its own thing
    stephen is wishing he was fishing location x right now.......

Stephen Smith

Quote Originally Posted by swsmith View Post
    Ive found that using these eyes my fly doesnt swim "clouser" style......tends to do its own thing
    I have started using them and they are actually quite lekker. my flies swim right way up. But I still want to know why can't we get any decent dumbell eyes anywhere.
    Photography Rules!
    www.dewaldkirsten.co.za

Sounds like one of the new Robin Hoods may be able assist us on your latter query shortly??!!
    The more you know, the less you need (Aboriginal Australian proverb)

Only dead fish swim with the stream (Malcolm Muggeridge)