Thread: Catching a "Double"

Default Catching a "Double"

Just a thought but with Czech nymphing becoming more popular with 3 flies being presented is it possible to hook 2 fish on different flies at the same time If so has anyone had this happen to them?
    It's not in the catching, it's in the learning something new.
    view albums at. http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=659

Hi Herman, I have had this happen with Bass if that counts?

I was fishing the cape streams and a bass took a dry which had a nymph underneath it, and while he was darting around the nymph was darting around behind him and another bass took the nymph. very interesting fight as the two fish were not happy to swim in the same direction. I've had fishing buddies catch two trout on the same cast too.
    "So hereís my point. Donít go and get your ego all out of proportion because you can tie a fly and catch a fish thatís dumb enough to eat a car key.." - Louis Cahill - Gink and Gasoline

The fight should be chaotic! I suppose the stronger of the 2 fish eventually wears the other on out!

Ja the second fish was a lot smaller and didn't stand much of a chance, but it was me that was the most confused out of the three of us.
    "So hereís my point. Donít go and get your ego all out of proportion because you can tie a fly and catch a fish thatís dumb enough to eat a car key.." - Louis Cahill - Gink and Gasoline

Ok, this doesn't definitely doesn't count but for what it is worth I thought I'd mention it. I was bait fishing for Galjoen one day and was fishless after two hours so decided to call it a day at that particular spot. While I was reeling in, my rod suddenly came alive and I was into a fish. I was astonished a few seconds later to see my gleaming catch flapping on the beach....a lovely fat galjoen, but one that someone else had lost. My hook had gone through the eye of the swivel that was attached to the severed trace that was trailing from it's mouth. Now how's that for luck?!!

I have had a double on the Vaal, one on the point, one on the dropper. They were babies’ small mouths, but it counts. That was standard dead drifting, in very shallow water, not Czech'ing, but I think it still counts. And they took the flies almost simultaneously, but it still counts…
    Mike McKeown

You're either fishing or waiting...

I once caught two browns on one cast on a Yorkshire stream.

I was having a fruitless few days fishing around the village of Settle on the Yorkshire dales. Then I met the local poacher in the village pub. In return for pint of the warm stuff he told me where the hatchery truck makes its releases.

The next morning I was off to the spot, a lovely pool where a tributary meets the main stream. Sure enough the pool was full of fish. First cast with my team of wet flies and I was into a fish. I nearly had him to hand when another silly bugger raced in and took the dropper. The first fish looked nearly dead when I finally got the both in. I knocked them both on the head for being so stupid and took them back to my B&B to eat. My host baked them for tea and they were delicious.

Hi Herman,

I think Czech-nymphing does increase your likelihood of double hookups and I find it also increases your foulhook rate. I have found that a lot of the time you will hook the second fish while fighting the first as opposed to hooking them at the same time. With trout and bass, the 2nd fish will often take the dropper while it is flashing around. I have also double-hooked southern mullet on bread flies

A couple of years ago, a friend of mines son was fishing for large mouth bass using art lures. He was using one of those segmented fish (can't remember the name of these things) with a treble on each segment. He hooked and landed two largemouth around 2 kg's each, one on each treble ! He had a large smile on his face once they were landed

Regards,
    Darryl
    ďApparently people don't like the truth, but I do like it; I like it because it upsets a lot of people. If you show them enough times that their arguments are bullshit, then maybe just once, one of them will say, 'Oh! Wait a minute - I was wrong.' I live for that happening. Rare, I assure youĒ ― Lemmy Kilmister

Reap the Whirlwind - WM

Paradise = A 3wt Rod & a fist full of someone else's #32 parachutes

Fishing the Spekboom river in Mpumalanga with three flies I have hooked three trout all in the 600gram range twice. Both times I landed two of the three. Realising all you have to do is maintaining a tight line, the fish tires each other out.

Not that there is anything special about this, stockies on a "Spekboom shrimp". Approach the water without any stealth, wear gumboots and a blue overall and a bucket in the non casting hand. Put the bucket down splash some water in the air and lob the flies in. The fish goes bananas, wise up quickly though.

Also caught a bass and rainbow on the Cape streams on one cast - dry and nymph below.

We were doing some rock and surf at Brenton on Sea, fishing musselworm. Casting almost on the same spot a spanish tourist and myself caught the same belman. As I struck his line went slack, both hooks in fish's mouth.

Is'nt fishing just glorious! Caught 2 kurper at the same time long ago ( for Scythe hehehe) in Zimbabwe. Thought I was into the mama of them all untill I realized it was 2 of her offspring!