Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Offshore fishing report: Cape Town

Default Offshore fishing report: Cape Town

Guys herewith an SMS i received from commercial tuna fisherman via my partner in crime.....makes me weak!

'ok so Joe got 14 longies, 25-30kg's today & 5 yellows. Pity! he would have had more yellows if the 4 killer whales didnt take a 70kg yellowfin off his line at the boat and chase the rest away. I wonder what IGFA record is for Killerwhale? Tomorrow is a good day , feel like cancelling your appointments?"

ARRRRRRRRRRRRGGHHHHHH ....... sorry bud I cant!!! I got an appoinment with CCMA!!!

Note that we do get killerwhales off Cape Point....I saw them about 10 years ago...a pod of 5-6. That is probably the closest I got an out of body experience!! Amazing!

There is a superb story in one of the Surly Ghillie's books about hooking a killer whale off cape point. I think it is in Mean Mouth Hook Jaw Bad News son of a fish.
    "So here’s my point. Don’t go and get your ego all out of proportion because you can tie a fly and catch a fish that’s dumb enough to eat a car key.." - Louis Cahill - Gink and Gasoline

Quote Originally Posted by gkieser View Post
    There is a superb story in one of the Surly Ghillie's books about hooking a killer whale off cape point. I think it is in Mean Mouth Hook Jaw Bad News son of a fish.
    Im available...

Killer whales!!! Wow, didn't know they came down this side!! Awesome!
    Around the steel no tortur'd worm shall twine, No blood of living insect stain my line;
    Let me, less cruel, cast feather'd hook, With pliant rod athwart the pebbled brook,
    Silent along the mazy margin stray, And with fur-wrought fly delude the prey

went sailing near dassen island a few weeks ago and a killer whale came up 10m from the yacht early one morning wile we were anchored in a small bay. absolutely awesome experience!!
    jumped in a kayak to try and find him but he was already gone, i did however come right up to a sunfish basking in the water, recon it must have been hundreds of kilos. got to within a meter of the thing on the kayak before it spooked. anyne know what they eat? presume plankton or something similar?

We had two killer whales swim passed us off the Mapelane lighthouse about 10 years ago - two other boats in the area verified the sighting, we though we where going mad. I had no idea that you'd find them in those waters.
    everyone is a "guru" these days - re

Right so who is up for tying a 100/0 and pitching it on a 100WT ?
    "Hierdie drol het baie vlieë" - Ago 2014.

Quote Originally Posted by Scythe View Post
    Right so who is up for tying a 100/0 and pitching it on a 100WT ?
    Seal imitation or a tuna fly?
    everyone is a "guru" these days - re

Quote Originally Posted by fishbone View Post
    went sailing near dassen island a few weeks ago and a killer whale came up 10m from the yacht early one morning wile we were anchored in a small bay. absolutely awesome experience!!
    jumped in a kayak to try and find him but he was already gone, i did however come right up to a sunfish basking in the water, recon it must have been hundreds of kilos. got to within a meter of the thing on the kayak before it spooked. anyne know what they eat? presume plankton or something similar?
    sun fish eat plankton, squid and krill.....we came across two or three sunfish the other day off Cape Point. They were surrounded by fields of krill. once again amazing.

As for you chasing the killerwhale.....not such a good idea , take look at this link.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iig-Eq2biK4

You don't need to chase killer whales from a boat, they can be targeted from shore with seal flies

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pCuU...eature=related

i love that vid....apparently while shooting this , one of the camera men was almost taken out by a killerwhale. Imagine that!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast