Page 68 of 77 FirstFirst ... 18 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 LastLast

Thread: Lakensvlei reprt back

baie baie snaaks.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

it was the same at the dam i fish in somerset west no bump nothing verry od it was if all the fish just disapeard it might have to do with the moon fasing over the weekend

In other words once in a Blue Moon.

Jy word al hoe skerper en skerper.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)

Lakenvlei Hut available for this weekend. Please contact Jean at the CPS offices to book. Next available weekend is in September.
    So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish.

I cant remember when last, Lakensvlei, consistenly, fished as it is currently.
    Week in and week out, I here about 15 to 30 fish per angler per day.
    Fish, being taken all over the dam, with sizes ranges from 20cm to 50cm.

We were fishing there, yesterday, in one of the picture perfect fishing days.
    A slight breeze, with snow capped mountains, and bright sun shinning.

A lot of the fish, were females, thick with eggs.
    Some of the cock fish, starting to go into spawning colors.
    We took 2 fish, with the one fish, having 21 crabs and 2 dragons, in its stomach.
    The other also had a couple of crabs in its stomach.
    it was very interesting to notice, with the fish coming out, at various depths, from below the surface, to quite deep.
    And with that spread, to only have crabs in its stomach. Maybe the feed on the bottom and then go closer to the surface?
    Korrie Broos

A while ago, the guys were moaning that there were no big fish in lakensvlei. I couldnt find the thread, but anyway, yesterday, we caught a good few in the 20 to 22 inch range. It seems that the Dam has really switched on. Between the 5 of us, we got around 80 fish for the day, and many of them were very good sizes. Was quite interesting to find large fish in the inlet river, and my best fish of the day cme out of a very thin shallow piece of the inlet, which I fished from the side. Nice day, perfect conditions.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Seems to me that the big fish are crabbing around the margins in low light, then moving deeper. I saw one fish before you arrived that was two inches from the rocks with its back showing.
    Regards
    Craig

Ya also saw some of that behaviour.
    Craig after you left, I took a walk up the inlet...wow...your information about the channel etc, was spot on. Myself, Glen, and that chap in the kayak, had some very busy fishing up there.
    Quote Originally Posted by ArcherFish View Post
    Seems to me that the big fish are crabbing around the margins in low light, then moving deeper. I saw one fish before you arrived that was two inches from the rocks with its back showing.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Albe took a fish so high up the inlet they could n't decide whether it was a river or a dam fish.
    Regards
    Craig

Page 68 of 77 FirstFirst ... 18 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 LastLast