Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rivers to Dams

Default Rivers to Dams

HI ALL,

Now that I have become interested in also fishing for yellows, looking for close areas (near Port Elizabeth) to fish has promped me to submit thread.

A lake which is fed by THE MIGHTY ORANGE RIVER being Lake Mentz/ Darlington (new name), which falls under the well known ADDO ELEPHANT PARK is right on our doorstep.

This dam is used to feed our Sundays river valley with water. Thus the upper Sundays River in the Kirkwood/ Addo region should also have yellows.

Busy researching, but will appreciate any info from you guys.

Dave
    Handle every situation like a dog.- If you cant hump it, piss on it and walk away. --JASPER.

Default Orange River: The world's longest tunnel

From the Orange River to the Gariep Dam, and then a 82km Orange- Fish tunnel into Grasssridge Dam, who releases controlled flow to the Great Fish River Valley. In the Cookhouse vicinity, water is diverted from the Great Fish River through another tunnel and system of canals into Lake Mentz, in the Sunday's River. Downstream of Lake Mentz Dam a further diversion of water takes place, some of it ensures stable water supplies to P.E.

But the Orange River does not just provide irrigation, it harbours 15 recorded indigenous fish species (COMPLETE FLY FISHER - April - issue 2008).

Therefore, the Sundays River must have Yellowfish, and more.
    Handle every situation like a dog.- If you cant hump it, piss on it and walk away. --JASPER.

I came on the same information, but my last two EC trips I specifically left the 5WT and nymph boxes at home as they were dedicated SW outings.

I don't know how tolerant SmallMouth ae of salne environments, but they definately aren't in the area from Colchester to the mouth

Would be great to see what you can come up with ito venue information, my my reasoning, any rapids/pools immediately below the dam would be a good place to start.

When I come down next it will just just be heading into spring so we should hook up and do an exploration
    "Hierdie drol het baie vlieŽ" - Ago 2014.

Quote Originally Posted by Scythe View Post
    I came on the same information, but my last two EC trips I specifically left the 5WT and nymph boxes at home as they were dedicated SW outings.

I don't know how tolerant SmallMouth ae of salne environments, but they definately aren't in the area from Colchester to the mouth

Would be great to see what you can come up with ito venue information, my my reasoning, any rapids/pools immediately below the dam would be a good place to start.

When I come down next it will just just be heading into spring so we should hook up and do an exploration
    Thank's Scyche,

The area you fished fell into the tidal zone of the Sundays River, so you cannot expect to get yellows here.

The upper reaches (fresh water area's) I know have carp, bass, barbel, moggel. I have e-mailed the Sanparks Ranger for this area, and am now waiting for his feedback.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by poppernel View Post
    Thank's Scyche,

The area you fished fell into the tidal zone of the Sundays River, so you cannot expect to get yellows here.

The upper reaches (fresh water area's) I know have carp, bass, barbel, moggel. I have e-mailed the Sanparks Ranger for this area, and am now waiting for his feedback.

Dave
    HI All

Just had confirmation from Sanparks Ranger We have yellows and all species found in the Orange/ Vaal system.

Also gave contacts/ land owners below dam wall for clear river water areas. Also invited me to come and ff the dam with him as he also ff.

Dave

Awesome!

You should go take a look at the viz, could be a good time to pick up your first SmallMouth on dry fly. Also, could be a good idea to speak to your riparian land owner friend regarding the presence/prevalence of LargeMouth, would be good to know if they've been seen/caught there and how the population is doing.
    "Hierdie drol het baie vlieŽ" - Ago 2014.

Quote Originally Posted by Scythe View Post
    Awesome!

You should go take a look at the viz, could be a good time to pick up your first SmallMouth on dry fly. Also, could be a good idea to speak to your riparian land owner friend regarding the presence/prevalence of LargeMouth, would be good to know if they've been seen/caught there and how the population is doing.
    HI Mate

Sanparks guy has been ff LM & SM and has caught plenty. My spadework is starting to deliver. Will be contacting numerous owners with clear rivers below the dam wall. IMMEEDDIIAATTLLYY.

When you down this way you come teach us, but will in the meantime try alone. Very confused that non of the P.E. guys are interested. (their loss)

Dave (just battling with Physically disabled contacts)

Smile

Hi poppernel,we must go explore

In preparation for hosting EC1!
    The more you know, the less you need (Aboriginal Australian proverb)

Only dead fish swim with the stream (Malcolm Muggeridge)

Quote Originally Posted by chris williams View Post
    In preparation for hosting EC1!
    now THAT could work!!! ... my old home district!!!
    I always wanted to be somebody,but now I realize I should have been more specific.
    Alcohol is the anaesthesia by which we endure the operation of life. GBS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast