Thread: bead direction

Default bead direction

Hi all

I noticed that the beads, or at least the brass beads I'm using, has a bigger hole on the one side. Why is this and which way should it be?

Benja

PS I'm getting dangerously addicted to fly tying, Still have to test them though...
    They've got us surrounded - the poor bastards!

The small hole goes against the hook eye. The bigger section is that so when you finish the fly the bead can slide back about 2mm to cover the body of the fly and leave enough room in front of the bead to finish of the head of the fly. I hope I got it right and that it helps.
    Thatís the difference between me and the rest of the world! Happiness isnít good enough for me! I demand euphoria! (Calvin and Hobbes)

http://pipersystem.com

thank you Jason, it makes sense

Quote Originally Posted by Benja View Post
    thank you Jason, it makes sense
    No problem buddy. I am sure some of the other fly guys will give some better reasons as well.
    Thatís the difference between me and the rest of the world! Happiness isnít good enough for me! I demand euphoria! (Calvin and Hobbes)

http://pipersystem.com

having the small hole at the hook eye also allows the eye of the hook to protrude ... not be hidden in the countersunk bit .... make for easier threading.
    I always wanted to be somebody,but now I realize I should have been more specific.
    Alcohol is the anaesthesia by which we endure the operation of life. GBS

As the others have stated the small hole goes towards the eye, the countersunk hole is there purely to aid in getting the bead around the bend of the hook.
    The bead should not be able to move if you have tied it in correctly.
    If the bead has a large recess you can wrap 4-6 turns of lead wire around the shank and slide this into the recess then cover the lead with thread wraps.

Quote Originally Posted by Tango View Post
    As the others have stated the small hole goes towards the eye, the countersunk hole is there purely to aid in getting the bead around the bend of the hook.
    The bead should not be able to move if you have tied it in correctly.
    If the bead has a large recess you can wrap 4-6 turns of lead wire around the shank and slide this into the recess then cover the lead with thread wraps.
    Always use lead in the gap between bead and shank.
    I normally add superglue to the end of the lead to lock both it and the bead in place.
    Gary
    Flytyer - Where great flytying begins

Thanks everyone, I thought it would be this way, makes more sense