Page 1 of 17 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: The Leerie Season

Default The Leerie Season

Now that the saltwater season is all but over and we are not all protecting our special spots, I would be grateful for your honest answers to these:

1. How did everyone fishing for Leeries in the Western Cape do?

2. Were there any notable catches?

3. Did anyone acheive any consistency?

My experiences and that of the guys with whom I generally fish, were overwhelmingly bad. Blakes, Palmiet, Hermanus, De Mond and even Breede were extremely poor with only Breede producing one day out of a dozen visits with Leeries in numbers.

Further afield (other than Dewy's experiences at his spot) things were not much better.

When we did encounter fish, they were usually small (less than 50cm) and alone, and without competition for the fly, takes were few and far between.

This is of course a worry, if it is the general trend. The red tide of last year probably put paid to Blakes, but that doesn't really explain the rest of the coast.

It would be great to hear your response and views.

Hopefully I will find out that I am just a rubbish fisherman!

I'm in touch with most of the leerie boffins and there definitely seems to have been a huge taper off of leeries this past season. Perhaps they have changed their migratory patterns slightly, and have bypassed us here in the Cape. I heard reports of huge leeries coming out just past Cape Cross upto Mile 72 in Namibia. Temperatures have obviously been favourable for leeries in those parts. Who knows boet?!
    "Innocence is a wild trout. But we humans, being complicated, have to pursue innocence in complex ways" - Datus Proper

interesting post Garage!! ... I look forward to seeing replies from our Leerie Pros!!
    Last edited by Jasper; 05-05-08 at 03:57 PM.
    I always wanted to be somebody,but now I realize I should have been more specific.
    Alcohol is the anaesthesia by which we endure the operation of life. GBS

with a bit of luck, Mr Smith will grace us with his comments on the matter. Stephen, where you boet?
    "Innocence is a wild trout. But we humans, being complicated, have to pursue innocence in complex ways" - Datus Proper

Hi Micheal......I am still on a mombakkie for this seasons leerie action

Destination X is not producing fish like it did last year this time......i dont know what we can attribute this too....

The occasional trip to blakes and de mond also producing a blank....
    stephen is wishing he was fishing location x right now.......

Stephen Smith

"Stephen starts to dig a hole in the ground.....and proceeds to climb into it...... ....sigh........"

Stephen Smith

Quote Originally Posted by swsmith View Post
    "Stephen starts to dig a hole in the ground.....and proceeds to climb into it...... ....sigh........"
    hahaha...serves you right for setting a precident last season.....now everyone is watching you!

Yes it has been a big dissapointment for me........but thats how it goes.As kyle says...everyone is aloud one "geluk" every now and then....

Chis,you frequent the other r&s sites........there pages are full of stuff on spot x ( )..i even had a go at one of the members there.....

I guess thats why we stopped discussing it on here....but it was fun and exciting for the other members to read along as our adventures unfolded....

I fear alot of damage has been done with this spot been so openly discussed.........

Stephen Smith

Grootste bome, meeste wind
    "Hierdie drol het baie vlieŽ" - Ago 2014.

Quote Originally Posted by swsmith View Post
    Yes it has been a big dissapointment for me........but thats how it goes.As kyle says...everyone is aloud one "geluk" every now and then....

Chis,you frequent the other r&s sites........there pages are full of stuff on spot x ( )..i even had a go at one of the members there.....

I guess thats why we stopped discussing it on here....but it was fun and exciting for the other members to read along as our adventures unfolded....

I fear alot of damage has been done with this spot been so openly discussed.........
    Yeah, I'm quite irritated about that actually, which is one of the reasons I've been scarce on there of late. Fortunately we experienced the best of what the place had to offer in recent times. But let's not lose heart....just wait for it to settle down a bit. People will quickly start forgetting about it, and then we'll hit it on the rebound again

Page 1 of 17 1234567891011 ... LastLast