Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Advice for newbie

Default Advice for newbie

Hi there

I am going to Sodwana Bay on the 13th of June and intend to do some saltwater flyfishing, however, I have no idea where to begin. I have plenty of freshwater gear and have been catching trout and yellowfish for years but have never tried my luck in salt water. Will my freshwater gear suffice? I realize that I will need a heavier rod ( I have a 7 weight? ) and some salt water fly patterns. I dont really intend to go after huge fish (because buying a whole new setup is out of the question) so are there any tips for having some fun on lighter tackle?

Thanks

Al

Hi there, the last time I was in Ballito, I used my 6/7wt in the gullies. I used Clouser patterns in different colours. It was my first try at Saltwater fly fishing and caught Kolstert and Rock cod.

If you are not going to buy anything and just have to use what you have there is one important thing to remember. You can't know what fish will take your fly, especially in the salt, so if it is a big fish it's better to fight him on the line,(straight line) as opposed to the rod.This will minimise the chances of your rod breaking. Also jsut make sure your leader is weaker than your fly line so that if something does give you still have your line. Also make sure you fly line and backing knots is very secure.
    That’s the difference between me and the rest of the world! Happiness isn’t good enough for me! I demand euphoria! (Calvin and Hobbes)

http://pipersystem.com

Thanks guys..........I never said i wont buy anything, just not a whole new kit. I dont mind buying leaders, flys, line etc. What is the best line to use?

Hi Al, welcome to the forum.

Sodwana should have Kings, Wave Garrick, Shad, Three Spot Pompano, Baracuda and Garfish (to name some) all within your reach.

I don't know Sodwana itself at all so hopefully some other guys will post regarding.

Your 7Wt will do, unfortunately you will never know what has hit your fly untill it's too late, so just be prepared. A little 1Kg Pompano will pull your 7WT to a standstill and a bigger specimen will have you into your backing in a heartbeat. Should you hook into a king or garrick or something else it will most likely just get worse ! (lucky man)

My tips for fishing the SURF:

1) You need an intermediate or sinking line to fish the surf
    2) Straight mono/fluoro leaders of between 6' to 9' (don't complicate things)
    3) 20lb is your friend, take some 30lb for if you have to tie in a shock tippet.
    4) LEARN TO TIE YOUR KNOTS PROPERLY!
    Lefty's Non Slip Mono Loop is a must for attaching flies AND leaders.
    Perfection loop only if you have to.
    5) You're going to need a line basket.
    6) Flies

Clousers in white pink, white olive, white chartreuse, white blue and all white.
    Salty buggers with marabou or zonker for the tail.
    Small Sempers (You don't want anything too big to destroy your rod/line).
    Small Flashy profiles.
    7) Good glasses & hat with darkened underside/brim.
    8) Practise your casting !
    9) Under arm double handed retrieve usually works best, SW fish are fast.

In the surf, simply spot the fish, you will see the wave garrick and pompano chasing in the waves. Find the baitballs and look for signs of fleeing fish.

If you see a chase, cast your arse off !

HTH, let us know how it went.
    Last edited by Scythe; 07-05-08 at 12:37 PM.
    "Hierdie drol het baie vlieë" - Ago 2014.

[QUOTE=Scythe;76475]Hi Al, welcome to the forum.

Wave Garrick, Shad, Three Spot Pompano, ....

In the surf, simply spot the fish, you will see the wave garrick and pompano chasing in the waves. QUOTE]

Scythe,
    Interresting to see you mention wave garrick and three spot pompano seperately.. aren't they the same fish?

I have no clue ... the word Garrick ... to me ... says ... LEERFISH!

A pompano is fun but it sure as salt ain't no leerfish !
    "Hierdie drol het baie vlieë" - Ago 2014.

Default Confusion!!

Okay.. , here's what I think I know..
    Wave Garrick is a colloquial (sp) name used in Natal to refer to Three Spot Pompano, and used in the Cape to refer to juvenile garrick. Another more common name used for young leeries in my neck of the woods, is Mal Elf. I see Mr. Futter even has a problem referring to Garrick as Leervis, sooo... maybe safest just to refer to them as Trachinotus botla, and Lichia amia, respectively and respectfully.

Wish I had some advice for you Amigo, but as far as I've read what the guys have said already sounds good to me.. Good luck, and please report back!

Thanks for the info guys, I'll definitely give a full report upon my return

Three spot and wave garrick are the same fish. When we were in Transkei the little buggers went nuts over orange and white ruffys. Caught some kingies on them too. Your 7# should be fine for most of the fish(just make sure its got lots of backing, just in case). Id get a fast intermediate and concentrate with that around the surf, rocks and estuaries. Also take a few small crazy charlies you never know what smaller species you will come across. Enjoy and post some pics!!
    Around the steel no tortur'd worm shall twine, No blood of living insect stain my line;
    Let me, less cruel, cast feather'd hook, With pliant rod athwart the pebbled brook,
    Silent along the mazy margin stray, And with fur-wrought fly delude the prey

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast