Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: "Calling" Barbel

Dankie vir die tip skerpieon, ek hengel nie damme nie maar babers is nie moeilik nie

So Marno, daar het jy dit, Roodekoppies is so 20kms anderkant Brits wat beteken jy sal kan R28 tot by R512 of R511 en dan rondom na Harties, ek sou tipies dan by my meisie se huis in Northriding Estates wees, dan kan ek na jou toe ry en daar parkeer of jy kan my optel en afgooi in Northriding watter een ookal die maklikste is.

ps : Moet nie bekommer oor vliee nie, ek sal bind, moet ook nie bekommer oor leaders nie, ek sal 'n paar knoop, soos ek gesê het, dam hengel en babers is nou nie my gunsteling nie, maar hulle is great fun.

Met die feit dat jy 'n bass boot het aanvaar ek Jy het 'n goeie 7/8 stok en die res van die kit ?

Hoe lyk jou beskikbaarheid ? Ek sou dit verkies op 'n Vrydag, maar 'n Saterdag is seker ook doenbaar, ek sal net die KleinBekke en GrootBekke moet mooi omverskoning vra
    "Hierdie drol het baie vlieë" - Ago 2014.

Waar is Roodekoppies?

Scythe,

Ons sal bietjie plan maak. Ek wil net my trolling motor volgende week laat regmaak. Jozini het sy tol ge-eis. hehehehe.

Ek het 5/6, 6/7 en 8/9.

Ek sal jou net sê as hy reg is dan kan ons gaan.

Die tiervis wat ek by Jozini gevang het was my eerste vis op my nuwe 8/9wt so hy is goed ingelyf.

The barbel in the vaal is still active around the cormorant nest this time of year and if you slap cast enough on one spot you will get them into a feeding mode and they will take your fly. Here is one I caught a few weeks ago.
    Fish - Where?.................................het hom!!!!

Holy moly!! Where do you normally launch and which part of the Vaal did you fish?

Back in the days when I fished Indwe dam,I found that quivering the rod with the tip about 6 inches to a foot in the water in a rapid motion(1-3 seconds)was far more effective than slapping.Sometimes slap casting can spook the fish,it is more effective in winter than in summer,that's my experience.

Quote Originally Posted by coop View Post
    Here is one I caught a few weeks ago.
    Didn't that one also cost you a 5WT ? coop is right in that the Vaal has big barbel and they remain active year round really.

Quote Originally Posted by marno View Post
    Holy moly!! Where do you normally launch and which part of the Vaal did you fish?
    If you prefer we can go to the Vaal, but sincerely doubt that you'd be launching your Bass Boat below the barrage Coop is from Klerksdorp, but there are barbel everywhere.
    "Hierdie drol het baie vlieë" - Ago 2014.

Quote Originally Posted by Scythe View Post
    Didn't that one also cost you a 5WT ? coop is right in that the Vaal has big barbel and they remain active year round really.
    If you prefer we can go to the Vaal, but sincerely doubt that you'd be launching your Bass Boat below the barrage Coop is from Klerksdorp, but there are barbel everywhere.
    Below the barrage and above Parys, there is always Vaal Oewer. I have seen bass boats come up to within 2k's of Strome.
    BTW there are plenty bass to be had just below Strome if you are that way inclined.
    It's not in the catching, it's in the learning something new.
    view albums at. http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=659

That is the one Bertu, had to play him for almost 20 min before he finally had enough.
    Fish - Where?.................................het hom!!!!

The method of calling barbel works like a bomb,and is a very exciting way to fish for them.....I've been doing it with a old flyrod.I suppose alot depends on the depth of the water and what time of year.
    When in shallow water,have your fly 30-45cm from the rod tip....then start tapping the water.....the take is quick and violent.....so have no loose line around....ie.do this with all the line on the reel.I use 12kg maxima leader.After a while of this a groove will develop in the top eye,so make sure you check and replace when neccessary.The fly should be weighted,hooks barbless...lots of success with a wooly bugger style fly,using that cactus stuff around the shank,marabou as tail.Olive black and red.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast