Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Clear Mono Thread - alternatives ?

Default Clear Mono Thread - alternatives ?

Was looking at the Popovics book (Pop Fleyes) again last night, they mention "clear mono thread" by Larva Lace, Gudebrod or Danville.

The idea is that the body material colour is visible through the thread...

Any comments on using tippet material etc as an alternative ?

Quote Originally Posted by ebf View Post
    Was looking at the Popovics book (Pop Fleyes) again last night, they mention "clear mono thread" by Larva Lace, Gudebrod or Danville.

The idea is that the body material colour is visible through the thread...

Any comments on using tippet material etc as an alternative ?
    Tippet is waay to pricey to use on flies. The other option is invisible thread. I picked up a 100m roll the other day for under 10 bucks at the sewing shop. Check this outhttp://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/showt...visible+thread

Good stuff this.

Jason
    Thatís the difference between me and the rest of the world! Happiness isnít good enough for me! I demand euphoria! (Calvin and Hobbes)

http://pipersystem.com

Should work, I know of guys who tie with mono, you can also look at a little product called "Spook Thread" which you will find in and amongst the threads at your local.

Benefits are that it's strong, clear, doesn't get damaged by abbration/friction (such as when you whip finish) and it is already on a spool so you can slap it into any standard bobbin.
    "Hierdie drol het baie vlieŽ" - Ago 2014.

Deewy and I use the spook thread that Scythe mentioned. When you epoxy over it, it becomes completely invisible, making it look like you neatly glued the materials to the shank. Very impressive effect.
    Here's a very out-of-focus pic of one of my clousers (not the best ever either..) that shows the effect you get with this stuff. The thread disappears under the epoxy, showing the colours of the materials used through it..
    Attached Images Attached Images

Amazing stuff invisible thread for salwater flies. I then coat with Loons UV knotsense and its completley invisible.

Am I missing the plot? (Probably...)

Why not just use Maxima 2lb breaking strain? OK a tad green but who is going to tell me the fish know the difference?

I do use Loon UV knotsense as well as/when required - good stuff..

I also use Maxima 2lb for doing my fly finishings (aka rod whipping) - a couple of feet last a few dozen flies or so before it becomes too kinked - like myself...!
    The more you know, the less you need (Aboriginal Australian proverb)

Only dead fish swim with the stream (Malcolm Muggeridge)

That 'invisible' thread from haberdasherys works well and much cheaper than mono thread from FF shops, you also get a black which is still translucent but you must coat either with something, like hard as nails, Loon UV or i use epoxy.

I am missing the plot
    The more you know, the less you need (Aboriginal Australian proverb)

Only dead fish swim with the stream (Malcolm Muggeridge)

awsome stuf this, all my flashy flies where tied using it, I will mostly tie saltwater flies with this now, exept saltybuggers and silicone mullets.

it realy gives a good finish to any fly.
    Photography Rules!
    www.dewaldkirsten.co.za

thanks guys, will try to get some of this "invisible thread" today.

keen to try out some of the epoxy patterns, especially surf candy, jiggy & bob's banger, the popovics book is awesome...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast