Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Parachute posts

  1. Default Parachute posts

    Hi all

    I've been experimenting with different colour parachute posts.

    Anyone have any experiences/advice/comments on colours other than the traditional white. In my experience in some situations a white post is not always that visible and I am interested to know if a different colour might be better in specific circumstances?

    Regards
    Liam

  2. #2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nkula_nkula View Post
    Hi all

    I've been experimenting with different colour parachute posts.

    Anyone have any experiences/advice/comments on colours other than the traditional white. In my experience in some situations a white post is not always that visible and I am interested to know if a different colour might be better in specific circumstances?

    Regards
    Liam
    Hi Liam,

    I am very happy with Orange as I find the white can get lost in the bubble line.

    Regards,
    Darryl
    “Apparently people don't like the truth, but I do like it; I like it because it upsets a lot of people. If you show them enough times that their arguments are bullshit, then maybe just once, one of them will say, 'Oh! Wait a minute - I was wrong.' I live for that happening. Rare, I assure you” ― Lemmy Kilmister

    Reap the Whirlwind - WM

    Paradise = A 3wt Rod & a fist full of someone else's #32 parachutes

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Dullstroom, Mpumalanga
    Posts
    8,534

    Default

    I agree with Darryl, orange stands out nicely in the bubble line. Since you have brought this up, my thought processes are working. I was wondering how effective blue would be? When the trout looks up, he sees blue sky, so would this not be a good choice, to blend in with the sky. I am sure it will stand out quite nicely too. Worth experimenting with.
    I have experimented with fine crystal flash yarn too, and it stands out very nicely, reflecting all the colours of the spectrum. It looks great on the water, and it was pretty effective until I lost it in a tree. It was a one off prototype, but I will definitely be tying a few more of those.
    "Innocence is a wild trout. But we humans, being complicated, have to pursue innocence in complex ways" - Datus Proper

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Gauteng
    Posts
    1,349

    Default

    I am very particular about parachute posts.

    Synthetic v Natural:
    Synthetic is better than natural (except for a few CDC patterns)
    They have better sparkle, are less stiff and create less bulk when you tie them in.
    The best way to to in a post that I have found is to take a length of material, TWICE as long as your regular length, but HALF the thickness.
    Hold this under the hook, at right angles to the hook shank in the center of the length of material. Lift both ends up above the shank & secure with figure-of-eight wraps.
    This results in no bulk down the body, a small bump at the thorax - where you want it and a post which cannot fall out!

    Material:
    ANTRON yarn is better than POLY yarn.
    While poly floats, it also collects water between the fibres (even when treated). This results in a heavier presentation or a drwoned fly.While this can be removed by false casting, I find a sparse, treated antron to shed water almost instantly. In addition, poly becomes dirty while antron, by design does not. Antron reflects light better than poly, and is thus more visible.

    Colours:
    Colours are white, FLUORESCENT RED & grey.
    White for general patterns, grey for subdued naturals and fluo red (I use Wapsi) is the most visible.
    At sunrise/sunset, the last visible light is red, thus red is the most visible colour to use. Friends & I have fished flies after dusk, and have been shocked at how well we could still see them.
    Red also stands out very well in shadow, on overcast days (when the UV-effect of the fluo makes the fly visible) and in the bubble line.

    I also like to use the fluo red when fishing dry-and-dropper, as it makes a great indicator.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Centurion
    Posts
    2,197

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GGY View Post
    I am very particular about parachute posts.

    Synthetic v Natural:
    Synthetic is better than natural (except for a few CDC patterns)
    They have better sparkle, are less stiff and create less bulk when you tie them in.
    The best way to to in a post that I have found is to take a length of material, TWICE as long as your regular length, but HALF the thickness.
    Hold this under the hook, at right angles to the hook shank in the center of the length of material. Lift both ends up above the shank & secure with figure-of-eight wraps.
    This results in no bulk down the body, a small bump at the thorax - where you want it and a post which cannot fall out!

    Material:
    ANTRON yarn is better than POLY yarn.
    While poly floats, it also collects water between the fibres (even when treated). This results in a heavier presentation or a drwoned fly.While this can be removed by false casting, I find a sparse, treated antron to shed water almost instantly. In addition, poly becomes dirty while antron, by design does not. Antron reflects light better than poly, and is thus more visible.

    Colours:
    Colours are white, FLUORESCENT RED & grey.
    White for general patterns, grey for subdued naturals and fluo red (I use Wapsi) is the most visible.
    At sunrise/sunset, the last visible light is red, thus red is the most visible colour to use. Friends & I have fished flies after dusk, and have been shocked at how well we could still see them.
    Red also stands out very well in shadow, on overcast days (when the UV-effect of the fluo makes the fly visible) and in the bubble line.

    I also like to use the fluo red when fishing dry-and-dropper, as it makes a great indicator.
    thanks GGY! excellent post with valuable info.
    the patient mental...

  6. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Shelton View Post
    Since you have brought this up, my thought processes are working. I was wondering how effective blue would be? When the trout looks up, he sees blue sky, so would this not be a good choice, to blend in with the sky. I am sure it will stand out quite nicely too. Worth experimenting with.
    Chris

    I don't think the fish really see the parachute post anyway, so I don't think it matters? But it would be interesting to see how visible a blue post would be on the cape streams. I'm gonna tie some and see how it does.

    Regards

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nkula_nkula View Post
    Chris

    I don't think the fish really see the parachute post anyway, so I don't think it matters?
    Liam,

    Agreed. Anyway even if they do see it, fl orange is an attractor colour - how many times have you had fish eat your indicator when using fl orange egg yarn ? The only downside to brightly coloured posts is they look a bit unnatural when taking pics - especially uw pics.

    Regards,
    Darryl
    “Apparently people don't like the truth, but I do like it; I like it because it upsets a lot of people. If you show them enough times that their arguments are bullshit, then maybe just once, one of them will say, 'Oh! Wait a minute - I was wrong.' I live for that happening. Rare, I assure you” ― Lemmy Kilmister

    Reap the Whirlwind - WM

    Paradise = A 3wt Rod & a fist full of someone else's #32 parachutes

  8. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dlampert View Post
    Anyway even if they do see it, fl orange is an attractor colour - how many times have you had fish eat your indicator when using fl orange egg yarn ? The only downside to brightly coloured posts is they look a bit unnatural when taking pics - especially uw pics.
    Darryl

    I don't fish for taking photos, they come as an optional extra to me! My 2c

    I have had small fish taking the indicator over the nymph (in pocket water esp)......

    Just thought of it now, but what are alternatives are there to yarn & strike putty indicators?

    Anyone use a non attractive substitute that the fish don't go for?
    It really frustrates me when I get takes on the indicator and have gone to the effort of fishing a nymph in the WC streams

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Cape Town
    Posts
    4,268

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nkula_nkula View Post

    Just thought of it now, but what are alternatives are there to yarn & strike putty indicators?
    There is only one. Use a dry fly!

    The most unsinkable one I have found so far is the "Stimulator on Steroids" known as the MSA Hopper. It might as well be made of cork, and it still takes fish!

    I know you like to dress your dries lightly so you may not like this pattern but when you're back in CT we must tie some flies and I'll show you this one, as well as that other little nymph pattern.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •