Thread: Western Cape in March

Default Western Cape in March

Hello everybody, I just joined your forum, looks like a great site. I am a fly fisherman from the USA. My wife is from De Doorns near Worcester. We haven't been in SA for a couple of years and are very excited to be returning in March. We will be spending most of our time in Hermanus, De Doorns and Cape Town. Do you guys have any suggestions for day trip around Hermanus or Cape Town?
    Any information would be greatly appreciated.

I like all the talk of sharks on the fly, I'm from the Midwest (far from the sea) but I try to get to the coast at least once a year. I have had a blast catching sharks on the fly.

Cheers
    Ray

Hi Ray

Glad to have you on the forums.

The Cape Piscatorial Society www.piscator.co.za controls dams and four rivers in the western cape(quite close to de doorns). The rivers are divided into beats. All fishing is CAR.

There is also Hermanus Flyfishers club which control a few stocked dams in the vicinity. Bookings can be done at walker bay tackle store in hermanus.

There are also boat charters available in the salt for yellowtail/Albacore, tuna & possibly even sharks refer www.twooceanssportfishing.com

As it is the end of southern hemisphere summer, the water levels can be low and the rivers running clear and some spooky trout.

Hope this helps

Regards
    Liam

I fished with Louis Day in Hermanus; I will send you his email address.

I am sorry that I will miss you, we could have taken on Langebaan again, and hopefully we would have had more success than last time...

All the best for the family, isn't the baby interfering with you fishing time?

Like I said they are a blessing…

Howdy Henrie, yeah I was really hoping we'd get to fish together again. My son was born right at the end of the fishing season so I didn't miss a beat.

Did you fish with Louis in the Hermanus lagoon?

You never know, I plan on returning to Roodeport one of these days to see my old Coaches.

Yes, we fished the lagoon in Hermanus.

If you up here, we should fish for Yellows.

I would definately recommend a trip to the lagoon.There are normally plenty of juvenile leeries around,plus maybe elf and kob.As you probly know already.I havnt fished it recently,maybe someone else has and can give us some feed back.Dont consider botriver,man that place is in terrible shape.Damn nature conservation wanting the mouth to open naturally etc etc
    stephen is wishing he was fishing location x right now.......

Stephen Smith

Thanks for the input guys. I have played around in the Hermanus lagoon before but had no luck. The conditions were terrible, windy, rainy... I went out in a float tube, kicked across the lagoon and the weather got worse, not a good day.

I had considered the botriver before but didn't try it. Thanks for the heads up, I'll steer clear of there.

My Vrou and I may try to go to Waenhuiskrans while were back this trip, have any of you guys tried around there? I remember the beaches going on for miles, I thought there may be some surf casting possibilities.

Cheers,
    Ray

I like your quote SWSMITH, my wife doesn't care for that song too much.

If you go to Waenhuiskrans you could go to De Mond Estuary, its between Waenhuiskrans(Arniston) and Struisbaai. I think its about 30km from Waenhuiskrans.

Quote Originally Posted by J Brink View Post
    If you go to Waenhuiskrans you could go to De Mond Estuary, its between Waenhuiskrans(Arniston) and Struisbaai. I think its about 30km from Waenhuiskrans.
    De Mond is a brilliant place. Try to get there, its really worth it.
    We don't stop playing because we grow old; We grow old because we stop playing!
    ~ George Bernard Shaw ~