Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Tags" for different weight flies?

Default "Tags" for different weight flies?

Hi guys

I have read in a couple of books where guys tie in a tag to indentify different weight flies. Some use differnent colour threads, others use nail varnice, etc.

Any other ideas out there?

When you use thread where do you tie it in? How would this affect the patern having a red/black/yellow tag sticking out somewhere? i read in Tom Sutcliffe's new book about leaving one wrap of coloured thread sticking out by the tail. This seems like a excelent plan, but do you use the same colour thread for the whole fly then. SAy you use red for a heavily weighted fly, does'nt the red head(when finishing the fly) subtract from the pattern, or do you just use a short piece of red thread on the tail and then use the normal colour thread that matches the fly for the rest of the fly?

Any suggestions welcome.

Morne
    THE AFRICAN FLY ANGLER

If you're fly fishing as though you are 'in a contest', and the only objective is to 'catch fish' - you are missing the point .... and that is disappointing

"Fly fishing is for those who hold that the fun in the race of life is in the running, not just the winning, that existence is its own justification, that a day spent in a stream or a pond with a goal in mind is a joy even if the goal is not achieved."
    ~by Jon Margolis and Jeff MacNelly

That thread tag thing is quite interesting. I have just placed them in different parts of my fly box depending on weight, but they can get mixed up easily.

I have heard the same thing about using different colour threads but agree that it might not be ideal for the pattern.

The tag of thread would seem to be the subtlest way to do it, but perhaps you could choose subtler colours, eg different greens on an olive pattern etc etc.
    "So hereís my point. Donít go and get your ego all out of proportion because you can tie a fly and catch a fish thatís dumb enough to eat a car key.." - Louis Cahill - Gink and Gasoline

Now this would be interesting...

The tag of thread would seem to be the subtlest way to do it, but perhaps you could choose subtler colours, eg different greens on an olive pattern etc etc.
    When that thread gets wet you will have to really be on the ball to distinguish between the colours...

I also have the problem of marking flies "on the fly", different coloured thread would help, but would like to hear what else the pros do to keep the weighted and unweighed apart...

This becomes even more complex, like when I try out different weights on a particular nymph, sometimes I have the same fly in 4 different weights, none, just a couple of wraps, wraps of lead in the middle section only and fully wrapped... I get so confused on the water that I need to destroy the fly afterwards to see which was which...

Maybe a separate box clearly marked:
    "Open this box at your own risk, losing insanity a strong possibility..."

I tie all my nymphs the same weight... It is the type of nymph, with a specific design that sinks faster than others...

So here is my theory…

1. All nymphs get the same amount of turns of lead, this is helps build the body and maintain profile.
    2. Different patterns are designed to fall though the water better, Copper John is far better at getting down than a GRHE.
    3. On occasion I do weight them differently, I put them in a different place in my fly box, all my normal patterns are where they normally go, normal nymphs take the first 2 pages, emerges the third page, and the fourth page has everything else… there will be normally be three rows of heavy fly’s.
    4. I am not afraid of split shot.

This allows me to know the sink rates of the flies, thus allowing me to fish them with confidence. If I need more weight, split shot it, if I need less, off comes the split.

There is also a theory that flies should not be too heavily weighted, apart from chuck nymphs, as it reduces the natural action of the fly, thus removing one of the inherent triggers…
    Mike McKeown

You're either fishing or waiting...

Quote Originally Posted by Morne View Post
    Hi guys

I have read in a couple of books where guys tie in a tag to indentify different weight flies. Some use differnent colour threads, others use nail varnice, etc.

Any other ideas out there?

When you use thread where do you tie it in? How would this affect the patern having a red/black/yellow tag sticking out somewhere? i read in Tom Sutcliffe's new book about leaving one wrap of coloured thread sticking out by the tail. This seems like a excelent plan, but do you use the same colour thread for the whole fly then. SAy you use red for a heavily weighted fly, does'nt the red head(when finishing the fly) subtract from the pattern, or do you just use a short piece of red thread on the tail and then use the normal colour thread that matches the fly for the rest of the fly?

Any suggestions welcome.

Morne
    Hi Morne,

Tom's idea of a few wraps of thread around the bend of the hook is one of the best I have seen ito identifying hook weights. I would just use the same colour as you use with the tag - the only place you will see the thread is at the tag and whip finish. You could always dub a little at the whip finish if you wanted to hide the thread colour. Use colours like red, yellow and orange as these are hot spot colours which could improve the effectiveness of the pattern. After seeing the bright yellow egg sacs on some mayflies in Lady Grey earlier in the year, yellow is a colour I am going to be playing with a bit more next season.

Regards,
    Darryl
    ďApparently people don't like the truth, but I do like it; I like it because it upsets a lot of people. If you show them enough times that their arguments are bullshit, then maybe just once, one of them will say, 'Oh! Wait a minute - I was wrong.' I live for that happening. Rare, I assure youĒ ― Lemmy Kilmister

Reap the Whirlwind - WM

Paradise = A 3wt Rod & a fist full of someone else's #32 parachutes

What about making proper tags...maybe colour code them and tie them into the eye of the hook with a piece of mono......just clip it off when you tie it on and reuse it on your next bunch of flies you tie...
    stephen is wishing he was fishing location x right now.......

Stephen Smith

Quote Originally Posted by swsmith View Post
    What about making proper tags...maybe colour code them and tie them into the eye of the hook with a piece of mono......just clip it off when you tie it on and reuse it on your next bunch of flies you tie...
    That is an excellent idea. Or you could tie in a coloured thread tag at the butt or when you whip finish, and then when you fish the pattern just snip the tag off short as you tie the fly onto your tippet. Tag gone.

Only problem is then if that fly doesn;t work, and you snip it off and put it back in your box, you lost the tag and don't know the weight anymore.

I rarely play around with too much weight, but if I tie up the same pattern and need to use different weight, I put them in seperate places in my box.

Quote Originally Posted by swsmith View Post
    Maybe not a bad idea. I have a crap load of those small diferent coloured elastic bands. Maybe tie one loosely over/on the flie and just take it off when tying the fly on.

MMM, some good ideas so far, thanks guys.
    THE AFRICAN FLY ANGLER

If you're fly fishing as though you are 'in a contest', and the only objective is to 'catch fish' - you are missing the point .... and that is disappointing

"Fly fishing is for those who hold that the fun in the race of life is in the running, not just the winning, that existence is its own justification, that a day spent in a stream or a pond with a goal in mind is a joy even if the goal is not achieved."

I have them marked out in my fly box. It can get mixed up but only if you lazy or all your flies fall out of their holders. When I am fishing however and use a weighted nymph, and have to change flies, I just put it back in it's own slot in the box and take out another fly. It's the same amount of work done. Sometimes I just stick the fly into my vest to let it dry but it's not too hard to remember which slot they go into at the end of the fishing day. I have the rows marked with permanent marker. Red for heeeeeavy, brown for not so heavy and green for just a little heavy.
    Thatís the difference between me and the rest of the world! Happiness isnít good enough for me! I demand euphoria! (Calvin and Hobbes)

http://pipersystem.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jason View Post
    I have them marked out in my fly box. It can get mixed up but only if you lazy or all your flies fall out of their holders.
    Me in a nutshell I put them away to dry with all the good intentions in the world to put them back properly and then on the next outing I find them still there.

On second thought on the rubber band idea, the above will just happen as well. Will never put the bands back.

Maybe Tom's idea is still best.
    THE AFRICAN FLY ANGLER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast