Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kowie River, Port Alfred

Question Kowie River, Port Alfred

Hi all,

I will be down in the E Cape this coming weekend and will get to spend a bit of time on the Kowie River in Port Alfred.

Have any of you fished there? If so, could you please let me know what I am (un)likely to catch and what is the best way to do so.

I'll only have a few hours to fish so would like to make the most of it.

Cheers,

Q

Quote Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
    Hi all,

I will be down in the E Cape this coming weekend and will get to spend a bit of time on the Kowie River in Port Alfred.

Have any of you fished there? If so, could you please let me know what I am (un)likely to catch and what is the best way to do so.

I'll only have a few hours to fish so would like to make the most of it.

Cheers,

Q
    HI Quentin

Fish the mouth area off the wall. Normally plenty of Elf/ Shad here, but you could hook anything here.

Dave
    Handle every situation like a dog.- If you cant hump it, piss on it and walk away. --JASPER.

Hi Quentin

I agree with poppernel - off the wall is great if the conditions allow.

I had a lot of action in the small crafts harbout with mullet and grunter.

I have seen a guy taking a nice skippie on the mud flats at the river bend in Warf steet as the tide started to push - that is where the locals poach the mud prawns. I do not know if you would get skippies this time of the year.

I did not have any luck with the fly rod in the surf yet.
    Dry lines don't catch fish!

I also think it is getting a little chilly for skippies... there are a lot of little kob higher up in the muddy parts of the estuary- will try for them on fly later this year. Unfortunately they get nailed by anybody who has piece of nylon and a hook...
    The clearer, lower reaches have leeries although the habitat is very modified. Not sure whether there are enough mullet around???
    my 2c

A little of the topic. . .

But if you have last/this months edition of the Fishing and Hunting Journal there is a super article on the Kowie, not very informative, but very entertaining!

A friend of mine has a lot of success in the smallish rivers both north and south of PA, they are much quieter and he boasts some good catches, mostly leeries though, but i'm sure there must be loads more. . .

Quote Originally Posted by JamesW View Post
    A little of the topic. . .

But if you have last/this months edition of the Fishing and Hunting Journal there is a super article on the Kowie, not very informative, but very entertaining!

A friend of mine has a lot of success in the smallish rivers both north and south of PA, they are much quieter and he boasts some good catches, mostly leeries though, but i'm sure there must be loads more. . .
    I agree, the Bushmans close by is great for ff. Nice channels with banks that are easy to get to is one of these rivers. Good for cob.

Dave
    Handle every situation like a dog.- If you cant hump it, piss on it and walk away. --JASPER.

I'll be in Port Alferd this weekend.

Has any one fished the Kowie recently??

Should i pack the usual flies?

Charlies
    Clousers
    Flippers

Thank you.

Here's a bit of an update on the area's fishing: Feb/March has produced a large number of very nice skipjack/springer. 4 fish over 60 cm (biggest 3 were 75) were landed in the Kariega and Mgwalana (one of the small estuaries north of the Fish River mouth). We haven't tried any other spots yet though. Seeing this is a good year for springer, I'd definitely target them. They've been taking near the surface or over the bottom, on small brown charlies, sprat patterns and small flippers. The emphasis is on small, and must look like small baitfish or swimming prawns, which are their main prey.
    Someone also got a grunter and a large Natal Stumpnose this season (all from about 8 members who've been actively fishing lately). I've only managed to get snapped off by a skippy that took at my feet.
    I've only flyfished the Cowie once, quite high up for kob. I've seen skipjack at the first bend in the river which has wadeable, shallow flats. I'd definitely try this spot. I've also heard that the breakwaters are good for shad.

We've had exceptionally warm water lately, which explains the abundance of more tropical species. You might be surprised by a river gurnard (saw a large one caught in the surf near PE this weekend), bigeye kingfish, pickhandle barracuda, mangrove snapper or if you're really lucky, a baby GT!
    The last two weeks of easterlies have caused ocean temperatures to drop, keeping a lot of fish in the rivers. Now it's switched to SW, so expect to cast in strong, cold wind. The upshot is that the sea temp goes up, but now all the summer fish might begin to leave.

The onset of winter should be bringing up more leeries. We've struggled to get any chases with the very warm water, I wonder if they prefer cooler water?

Anyway, that's your fishing forecast cut out as best I can from info at hand! Enjoy your bachelors and the fishing!

Great report Clarias, thanks.

DAVE

Default Kowie river

hey guys

my friend is going to this area in 3 weeks time.we don't know the area well at all, but he would like to try some ff there in the river.

would anyone be able to help with what fish are around there this time of the year?
    and if so willing, what sorts of flies to take? when do the leeries come around; the warmer months?

any help would be greatly appreciated!

thanks a mil guys

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast