Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Saltwater Fly Boxes

Default Saltwater Fly Boxes

I have been tying a couple of saltwater flies recently so have filled my box , but the problem is I only have 20 flies in it!
    This just seems inefficient to me! So how do you guys store your saltwater flies, and if you use boxes which do you use?

Rob

Hi

I have the same problem.
    I would also like to hear from the other if the have any "Blink Idees"

Flyboxes can be a help and a pain in the but. What hooks dit you use? If its Gammas then you must make sure to remove them from the box and make sure that the foam dries completly to ensure that the hooks dont rust when you put them back. This can be quite a schlep as if you on a trip the box often dont get time to dry and you and up wasting good flies.

Then I have learnt, only take flies with that you know will work, keep those on you in a bum bag and those that you want to experiment with, keep them in the bakkie/car or back pack and only take them out once you have time to use them as they will often fill up a box that could have held one or 2 more flies that produce.

As I said, stick to flies that work, depending on what you are fishing for carry about 4 of each colour let say you are fishing for leeries. I will have 4 chartreuse clousers, 4 tan clousers and 4 olive clousers. 4 saltybuggers with marrabou tail and 4 with zonker tail, 4 small flippers and 4 bigger flippers. Then to round things off maybe 1 woolhead mullet and one silicone mullet.

That is what I would recomend.

Some guys keep their big flies in ziplock bags but i have not tried it yet so I cannot comment on this.

I would also recomend to make your own boxes, Jono gave me a good idea in the flashy profile tread with waterproof "lunchboxes" just glue in foam and you are sorted. It works better and its deeper so you can keep more bigger flies in it.
    Photography Rules!
    www.dewaldkirsten.co.za

Plastis for africa here in cape town.........jono's theory probly the best.i went there last week and got a plastic waterproof box that allows the flies to lie flat and you can fit quite a few in there......
    stephen is wishing he was fishing location x right now.......

Stephen Smith

I have just bought myself one of these for a tigerfish trip i am going on next month.

Problem with this is that carrying it around while fishing is a mission, but would be useful for storage and you can transfer the ones you wish to use to a smaller more portable box. If you intend to fish from a boat then this is the perfect saltwater fly box.

The one in the article is the smaller one and you can see it holds about 20 large flies on one side in the pics but they have them nicely spread out. I have the larger one and it holds about 100 clousers between size 4/0 and 2 when packed closer together. The Foam slits hold the flies exceptionally well, and I have not been able to shake a single fly loose while holding the box open upside down.
    "So hereís my point. Donít go and get your ego all out of proportion because you can tie a fly and catch a fish thatís dumb enough to eat a car key.." - Louis Cahill - Gink and Gasoline

i use plano tray boxes
    I take my flies and "vacume-seal"" them in a plastic sleeves, creating a packet for each fly. I pack plenty flies per box, each fly is individually sealed and stays BONE dry! It makes it easier for when you wanna go for a quick fish , grab a few flies and dump in you bag , flies are essentially "weedless" inside packets

As I do a bit of woodwork I'll be building my own salwater flyboxes soon. These are really for boat use. If you wan't to be more mobile I recon selecting a few and popping them in a normal flybox is the way to go.

My custom flybox will be about A4 size, made from hard woods (water resistent) with foam on the insides like a normal flybox.

I had a guy on the boat a while a go who works on yachs (first mate on big motorised yaght in Med) who also flyfishes. He's ordered a great flybag from the states that looks like a compter - type bag with a zip and everything, but with very durable built-in zip lock sleeves that keeps even the bigger flies dry, flat and straight. I think this is the best big saltwater flybag.

I also prefer the sleeved & sealed flies combined with a standard Plano compartment box. This is by far the most compact and fly friendly storage system for streamer patterns. I used to store the sleeved flies in something similar to that referred to by Conrad. Adventure Hardwear made a range of Bass worm pouches in different sizes - this looks good and works reasonably well, but the flies tend to get buckled and it is actually less compact and heavier than the Plano option.

For estuary/Bonefish patterns there is nothing like the C&F or Explorer waterproof boxes.

MC

Thanx for all the responses guys. Some really good ideas there! I like the idea of using a big box for storage and then only take a couple of trusted patterns for each session like Deewy says. Really like these http://www.midcurrent.com/articles/g...ggerbeast.aspx! Very neat and should hold plenty flies.

But I really like the waterproof boxes from explorer for charlies, shrimps etc. too....decisions, decisions!

Deewy, I'm using Mustads, 34007's and these seem to be fine as far as rust goes, have lost a whole box of Clousers by getting them wet and not taking them out of the box to dry so learnt to go stainless

Thanx for all the help guys,
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Babyson View Post
    Deewy, I'm using Mustads, 34007's and these seem to be fine as far as rust goes, have lost a whole box of Clousers by getting them wet and not taking them out of the box to dry so learnt to go stainless
    Hi there

I have quite a few of those hooks left as I cant remember when last I tied on them. You are right they last foreever and a day in the salt...but...how many fish have you missed because off blunt hooks? If you lose 2 or 3 skippies in a row because the only fly they want is the one tied on THAt hook then you will also switch. Gammas = fish

Just a point of the subject but I only tie my flippers and poppers on the long shank hooks, I will rather do a bit off efford after I have fished than lose more fish.
    Photography Rules!
    www.dewaldkirsten.co.za

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast