Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Thread: Sardines are HERE!

Bad luck mate - at least you're out there doing it.

Quick question, what is the temperature of the water - any idea?
    It can be really frustating finding the bait and there's nothing sitting with it.

We fished one year from 'Toti and it was exactly as you descibed - bait fish everywhere and not a pelagic in sight. Found a tiny little school a bit further from the main pocket that had somehow been isolated and this was under attack big time. Mostly snoek. Filled the crocker ski up!

Good to see the huge numbers of sardines though - might still be hope for the oceans yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogtooth View Post

Filled the crocker ski up!
    now you giving away your age !!!!

my first "offshore" adventures were on a crocker tied to the shark net anchors

as ive written before in the sards its sometimes hit and miss because there is sooooooo much bait avalible

/d
    What ever you do never confuse Fishing With catching Fish !!!!
    Fish Are Friends Not Food

But your reasoning has a fatal flaw; it overlooks the fact that to comprehend it requires that one rub a few brain cells against each other. The heat thus generated produces the light that illuminates the fact, but alas, not everybody has the resource required to fuel the process --SG

Sardines netted off Suncoast beach yesterday and Blue lagoon today....arrived late afternoon when things were quieting down and there were crates everywhere selling at R10 a dozen, which shows how many were netted, seeing as though 4 days ago they were R40.

Spoke to a local Indian fisherman who said there was not one shad caught off blue lagoon rocks all day.....

Hoping to find some action on the North Coast tomorrow.

Beefy

Quote Originally Posted by damage View Post
    now you giving away your age !!!!

my first "offshore" adventures were on a crocker tied to the shark net anchors

/d
    Hah ha mate......got more than my fair share of grey hairs.
    Like to refer to them as racing stripes up the sides of my temples.

Yeah, did the same thing by sitting on the nets, but the only thing we used to get was bloody grey sharks. Used to be so thick at times we used to catch them on flyrods. Had lots of bait in the water and they used to just swim by and you were able to take your pick. Had a good scare the one day when a big bronzie took one of the 'couta we had right next to the crockerski.
    Damn thing just about got my hand too.

Off 'Toti we used to line up this tall pine tree on the hill with a local landmark and hope like buggery we were in the right spot for this one reef. Long time before fishfinders and depthfinders made it easier.

Used to mess around with flyrods then, but the gear wasn't like it is today.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogtooth View Post
    Hah ha mate......got more than my fair share of grey hairs.
    Like to refer to them as racing stripes up the sides of my temples.

Used to mess around with flyrods then, but the gear wasn't like it is today.
    racing stripes make the car faster , no??

the only "flys" we used back then were "tin" or bucktail jigs

but the the closest we got to real flys were "yo-yuris" hand repaired with peppermint crisp foil to catch red eyes

hey I nearly lost the chance to have kids trying to un hook a croc cuda across my lap on a ski

/d
    What ever you do never confuse Fishing With catching Fish !!!!
    Fish Are Friends Not Food

But your reasoning has a fatal flaw; it overlooks the fact that to comprehend it requires that one rub a few brain cells against each other. The heat thus generated produces the light that illuminates the fact, but alas, not everybody has the resource required to fuel the process --SG

Uhm - I believe that some pilot shoals showed up yesterday - Let's hope this years sardine run is massive!

Sardine run is on big-time. wish I was at Splash Rock, maybe I'll make an impromptu trip early next week...
    The more you know, the less you need (Aboriginal Australian proverb)

Only dead fish swim with the stream (Malcolm Muggeridge)

Quote Originally Posted by redhumpy View Post
    Uhm - I believe that some pilot shoals showed up yesterday - Let's hope this years sardine run is massive!
    Quote Originally Posted by chris williams View Post
    Sardine run is on big-time. wish I was at Splash Rock, maybe I'll make an impromptu trip early next week...
    Let the fun begin hope you guys that get a chance to target fish AND get rewarded big time. Here's hoping you all do.

DAVE
    Handle every situation like a dog.- If you cant hump it, piss on it and walk away. --JASPER.

Can somebody please go out and get some decent fish in fly - that would be unreal.

Anyone had any success or know of anyone having success with the fly during the 'run' ?

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10