Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 24

Thread: Milking Stillwater trout

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Eastern Cape
    Posts
    6,347

    Question Milking Stillwater trout

    HI Guys

    Does it really prolong a stillwater trout's life if you milk it, the eggs from hens and the milt/sperm from cockfish.

    We have been doing this in winter for years now and it seems to be true. The trout that have not been milked and cant get rid of eggs in dams seem to later on look under nourished.

    What are your views?

    Dave
    Handle every situation like a dog.- If you cant hump it, piss on it and walk away. --JASPER.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Cape Town
    Posts
    2,764

    Default

    I do the same!

    From what i have been told, if you dont milk the hen fish
    and remove the eggs they form a growth over time and
    can be fatal!

    Like i said this is what i have been told so may be wrong!
    The closer one gets to realizing his destiny, the more that destiny becomes his true reason for being! Paulo Coelho

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Eastern Cape
    Posts
    6,347

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Umhlangarox View Post
    I do the same!

    From what i have been told, if you dont milk the hen fish
    and remove the eggs they form a growth over time and
    can be fatal!

    Like i said this is what i have been told so may be wrong!
    My logic is this, once a trout has been milked, it is no more preocupied in finding a place to spawn and can now carry on feeding.Even eating the milked eggs is a nutritious food form.

    Dave
    Handle every situation like a dog.- If you cant hump it, piss on it and walk away. --JASPER.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Cape Town
    Posts
    2,764

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by poppernel View Post
    My logic is this, once a trout has been milked, it is no more preocupied in finding a place to spawn and can now carry on feeding.Even eating the milked eggs is a nutritious food form.

    Dave
    Ya i also dont see much point in them carrying eggs if they cant disperse them

    Doesnt seem logical to me, but like i said i am not that well informed on it so maybe some fish fundi can tell us a bit more???
    The closer one gets to realizing his destiny, the more that destiny becomes his true reason for being! Paulo Coelho

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Jo Burg/ the foot of Table Mountain
    Posts
    336

    Default

    Would be great if someone in the know could post a step by step guide to 'milking' the eggs. please
    Because i am told that if it is done incorrectly you may be doing more harm then good!
    I'll stay as long as i can fish. . .

    Whenever the "club" for geniuses - MENSA - was mentioned, I always wondered if their was an opposite equivalent society for imbeciles. Now I know, it's called ANCYL.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    North of the boerewors curtain
    Posts
    2,182

    Default

    Wheres that kid with the degree in aquariums and stuff when you need him He'll probably give a way better explanation but from what I understand the theory that if hen's dont deposit their egss they will eventually calcify and cause premature death is a bit of a falacy. In the vast majority of cases the hen's body simply re-absorbs the unfertilised egg if it is not deposited.

    You can do tremendous harm to fish by trying to milk them using the wrong technique. They also dont suddenly start feeding again simply because they have no eggs or milt - its controlled by hormones.
    Check your knots!

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Eastern Cape
    Posts
    6,347

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jock0 View Post
    Wheres that kid with the degree in aquariums and stuff when you need him He'll probably give a way better explanation but from what I understand the theory that if hen's dont deposit their egss they will eventually calcify and cause premature death is a bit of a falacy. In the vast majority of cases the hen's body simply re-absorbs the unfertilised egg if it is not deposited.

    You can do tremendous harm to fish by trying to milk them using the wrong technique. They also dont suddenly start feeding again simply because they have no eggs or milt - its controlled by hormones.
    This is true, the hen will eventually re-absorb the eggs. But this scientifically affects the fish over a period of time.

    And one would have to be a real moron not doing it proptly, one can hurt the fish more by removing a barbed hook.

    Dave
    Handle every situation like a dog.- If you cant hump it, piss on it and walk away. --JASPER.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Pretoria Gangsters Paradise
    Posts
    5,735

    Default

    I dissagree on that one, hole in the mouth leads to absess/blister, squeezing the internal organs too hard can lead to rupturing and far worse.
    "Hierdie drol het baie vlieŽ" - Ago 2014.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Cape Town
    Posts
    2,764

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Scythe View Post
    I dissagree on that one, hole in the mouth leads to absess/blister, squeezing the internal organs too hard can lead to rupturing and far worse.
    Very true but a barbed hook in the gills or deep in the throat is fatal 9 times out of 10!
    The closer one gets to realizing his destiny, the more that destiny becomes his true reason for being! Paulo Coelho

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Eastern Cape
    Posts
    6,347

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Scythe View Post
    I dissagree on that one, hole in the mouth leads to absess/blister, squeezing the internal organs too hard can lead to rupturing and far worse.
    Scythe, one does not sqeeze the eggs out, they are stroked out with your thumb on the one side of the abdomen and fingers on the other and making sure your hands are wet.

    I have milked hundreds and have never even come close to hurting these fish, so if one does not know dont do it until someone can show you properly.

    Dave
    Handle every situation like a dog.- If you cant hump it, piss on it and walk away. --JASPER.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •