Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Idas Valley dams - Helshoogte

Hi Nic.

On the exotic fish topic I'm hesitant to post on it here as this one has been debated and thrashed out endlessly on this forum (under conservation). Chris has a very good understanding of the process and project as it stands at the moment and made some good points on it there. The main thing to remember for now though is that they're not aiming at removing trout from ALL rivers and streams in the Western Cape. What Dean is pushing for is the zoning of specific areas where these fish will be allowed and others where they will not be allowed to be stocked, farmed etc.
    Trout are as much a part of South Africa as the oak trees are of Stellenbosch – not to be planted in wilderness areas where they do not already occur, but to be valued where they are established.

Quote Originally Posted by MCC View Post
    OK, lots of interesting comments being thrown around here - it surely made for some interesting reading.

I might not respond to all the comments (remind me which I left out), but here goes:

First Steenbras:

This water is controlled by the City of Cape Town. They used to stock the dam with Browns in the seventies, but when these became too expensive, they stocked with about 2000 Rainbows per year until the late nineties.

The CPS never controlled access to these dams and the public was only ever allowed access to one of the dams.

This is the City's official current attitude:

"The City of Cape Town has for the past 40 years never had any hiking trails open to the public at Steenbras Dam or its environs, with the exception of the Steenbras River Trail which leads from the Bennington Bridge at the river mouth up to the “Crystal Pools” (for info call 021 856 4975). The areas above the pools have always been closed to the public. The gardens below the dam wall did have a network of short paths, but they have been closed, along with access to the dam, for security reasons.

LETLHOGONOLO MOTLHODI

MANAGER: BULK WATER

WATER SERVICES

CITY OF CAPE TOWN"

In meetings with the city we (the CPS) were told that the venue is not closed to the public but that nobody is allowed to enter because of the bad condition of the roads. (Figure that out)

Voelvlei:

The CPS still has full access to Voelvlei. No members fish this venue anymore because it has been ruined by Carp and Barbel populations.

There is speculation that a commercial fishery for Carp and Barbel might be established here. This might help but I doubt whether permission will ever be given to re-stock Smallmouths.

Idas Valley:

Yes, these dams were closed after crime spiralled out of control. The small shop got broken into on a weekly basis, cars got broken into and guys were even robbed at knife point. Along with this, the locals and students poached the dams excessively.

In the past, when the CPS controlled access (I think it was in the seventies), the dams were stocked with smaller fish and unfortunately they never produced anything bigger than about three pounds. The big fish Chris refers to were stockies put in there during the late nineties by Kobus Venter.

With the Bass population already in the dams, it is no longer possible to stock small fish and allow them to grow out. Any club would be forced to stock with "Bass proof" fish and this is an extremely costly exercise. Whe n bigger fish are stocked the poaching problem escalates.

If you add up the costs associated with stocking, poaching, security and rental, then it becomes an extremely expensive venue.

Having said all of this, Chris, you are welcome to be pro-active and make some enquiries about potential access for the CPS.

Are there any other issues which you guys feel that the CPS should be addressing?

MC
    Thanks for your comments MC.

In defense of the CPS, of which I am a PROUD member, I would like to remind the members that WE as members ARE the CPS and as such it is upto US to be pro active when it comes to acquiring new waters. The committee as it stands already have their hands full with the various logistics involved in running a huge society and we cannot expect them to do everything. We as members also need to get off our backsides and take ownership of all the values that the society stands for.....and be pro acive about it!

I for one have a huge sentimental interest in those dams and will try to make some enquiries myself. Ryan, you've just become my best mate!
    "Innocence is a wild trout. But we humans, being complicated, have to pursue innocence in complex ways" - Datus Proper

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Shelton View Post
    Thanks for your comments MC.

In defense of the CPS, of which I am a PROUD member, I would like to remind the members that WE as members ARE the CPS and as such it is upto US to be pro active when it comes to acquiring new waters. The committee as it stands already have their hands full with the various logistics involved in running a huge society and we cannot expect them to do everything. We as members also need to get off our backsides and take ownership of all the values that the society stands for.....and be pro acive about it!

I for one have a huge sentimental interest in those dams and will try to make some enquiries myself. Ryan, you've just become my best mate!
    Chris i must agree with what you have said! Its very easy to sit back and say CPS this and that. Lets rather be pro-active and see what we as members can do!

I mean after all we will be the ones that benefit at the end of the day!

Would it not be possible to get a couple guys to go out on behalf of CPS and scout for new waters and make contacts?
    The closer one gets to realizing his destiny, the more that destiny becomes his true reason for being! Paulo Coelho

Quote Originally Posted by Umhlangarox View Post
    Chris i must agree with what you have said! Its very easy to sit back and say CPS this and that. Lets rather be pro-active and see what we as members can do!

Would it not be possible to get a couple guys to go out on behalf of CPS and scout for new waters and make contacts?
    This would be the way to go Umhlangarox, judging by the posts posted you guys will not have any trouble getting guys to help scout for new waters. After all, this will be a time and money consuming exercise. The more guys the easier it will be.

Wish we could get fellow E.C. guys to respond and help here locally,

Dave
    Handle every situation like a dog.- If you cant hump it, piss on it and walk away. --JASPER.

Quote Originally Posted by Umhlangarox View Post

Yes Matt, I think we do need to put out some scouts, but once again, it shouldn't be upto one or two members to put in the mileage at their own expense and to everyone elses benefit. I think that all members should be constantly on the lookout for new waters, establish the contacts, and then approach a sub committee with their findings. The identified waters can then be checked out by sub committee members, who can then in turn approach the CPS committee at large with their findings.

That's my suggestion for what it is worth.
    "Innocence is a wild trout. But we humans, being complicated, have to pursue innocence in complex ways" - Datus Proper

Yes Matt, I think we do need to put out some scouts, but once again, it shouldn't be upto one or two members to put in the mileage at their own expense and to everyone elses benefit. I think that all members should be constantly on the lookout for new waters, establish the contacts, and then approach a sub committee with their findings. The identified waters can then be checked out by sub committee members, who can then in turn approach the CPS committee at large with their findings.

That's my suggestion for what it is worth.
    Chris i agree with you 100%.

I think this needs to be discussed with CPS so they know our intentions which will also enable us to get the ball rolling!
    The closer one gets to realizing his destiny, the more that destiny becomes his true reason for being! Paulo Coelho

Booger Rose Banned User

Hey, if new waters need to be found - count me in

It's just that in the Stellenbosch area there are, unfortunately, some people that do not always smile when I fish on unknown, and new to me, property, they normally ask me nicely to please leave the river and I normally just smile and do it - no probs If I need to do this more I might need a lawyer! Anybody up for it?

Quote Originally Posted by Booger Rose View Post
    Hey, if new waters need to be found - count me in

It's just that in the Stellenbosch area there are, unfortunately, some people that do not always smile when I fish on unknown, and new to me, property, they normally ask me nicely to please leave the river and I normally just smile and do it - no probs If I need to do this more I might need a lawyer! Anybody up for it?
    You who likes looking over your shoulder whilst fishing, do yourself a favour and go and do recce of the Idas Valley dams Eduard. You'll do your nut! These are not farm ponds, they are serious DAMS and without a doubt the CLOSEST decent trout waters to Cape Town.

I hear what MC says about stocking with bigger fish because of the bass population, but I'll also say this, those bass are by no means abundant or globally distributed throughout the dams, they tend to stick to the more structured parts of the dams and are by no means easy to catch either. I personally have never hooked a bass there, but then again, I was always targetting the trout. There was a guy who I met at the dams many years ago who went out of his way to target the bass specifically, and even he battled. If he got two or three in a day, that was a lot.

What I am essentially saying is that these dams are ideal to support both species! If anything, the bass are the challenge to catch in those dams, and then trout dead easy by comparison!
    Last edited by Chris Shelton; 18-06-08 at 03:55 PM.

You who likes looking over your shoulder whilst fishing, do yourself a favour and go and do recce of the Idas Valley dams Eduard. You'll do your nut! These are not farm ponds, they are serious DAMS and without a doubt the CLOSEST decent trout waters to Cape Town.

I hear what MC says about stocking with bigger fish because of the bass population, but I'll also say this, those bass are by no means abundant or globally distributed throughout the dams, they tend to stick to the more structured parts of the dams and are by no means easy to catch either. I personally have never hooked a bass there, but then again, I was always targetting the trout. There was a guy who I met at the dams many years ago who went out of his way to target the bass specifically, and even he battled. If he got two or three in a day, that was a lot.

What I am essentially saying is that these dams are ideal to support both species! If anything, the bass are the challenge to catch in those dams, and then trout dead easy by comparison!
    Chris i think the only way to really analyze the bass situation is by fishing the dam! I think if you fish it a couple times it should give you some idea of the amount of bass in the dam!

Booger Rose Banned User

Hi chris

talked with a few of the guys here at the university and al of them told me in very direct terms to not go there - it seems that you can be certain of getting robbed!
    To start fishing the dam we will have to sort out the security issues first, but I believe the dam may be one of the best venues if run by CPS.
    What is the currant status of restocking this water?

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast