Thread: Fishing in the Durban area

Default Fishing in the Durban area

Hey guys

New to the forum, and watching all the posts and photos from here in sunny Dubai. Coming home over the Christmas/ New Year period and was looking for some advice on casting a line in the area while home. Not too much time, but if I get a chance, where are the good spots around the Durban area? Any advice would be great.

Also, looking to buy a new saltwater rig, but budget is quite limited. Could anyone suggest a good combo around the R1000 mark to suffice for saltwater fishing. I realise that isn't much, but just wondering. Also, any good shops in that area you could recommend.

Thanks

Matt Cocks

Quote Originally Posted by beefybovril View Post
    Hey guys

New to the forum, and watching all the posts and photos from here in sunny Dubai. Coming home over the Christmas/ New Year period and was looking for some advice on casting a line in the area while home. Not too much time, but if I get a chance, where are the good spots around the Durban area? Any advice would be great.

Also, looking to buy a new saltwater rig, but budget is quite limited. Could anyone suggest a good combo around the R1000 mark to suffice for saltwater fishing. I realise that isn't much, but just wondering. Also, any good shops in that area you could recommend.

Thanks

Matt Cocks
    hey Matt,

WELCOME! good to have you on board.

i haven't fished in Durban all that much, so I probably won't be all that much help on the venues side. But regarding an outfit, I'd suggest looking at the Explorer Classic series rods. Maybe the 9' 8/9wt? Depending on where you're going to fish of course. Reels could be debated by the other guys on the forum, but I've got an Explorer XPC79 (i think) and it's been great in the salt water. go to www.janditrading.com to check out the rods and reels. try not go too cheap on your line though.

a buddy of mine has an elbe fly rod which he uses in the salt - no trouble yet, but it's also not that old and hasn't taken much of a beating .... yet

i'm also not all that sure where the good tackle shops are in Durbs.

hope that helps, even if it's a little.
    the patient mental...

Hi Matt,

For fishing shops you can try the following (Check the phone book for numbers):

- The Kingfisher in Hunter Street.
    - Basil Manning Fishing used to have flyfishing gear but not sure if they still do. They are close to the kingfisher in the road that eventually becomes point road.
    - There is a flyfishing shop in Gateway shopping mall but I don't know the name of it. It is on the lower level on the side with the climbing wall, skate park and static wave.
    - There used to be a branch of The Flyfisherman in Windermere road but i am not sure if it is still there.

For a Cheap value for money reel I would try and get one of the Killwell Genesis reels - you wont beat their value at the price you pay for them.

Sorry but I don't know much about good spots but I think a lot of guys fish Durban Harbour a lot and also the Bluff beaches.

Cheers
    Grant.

Default Re : Durbs Fishing

i agree with Grant, the Kilwell series of reels are gr8 value for money ... i have the 3/4, 5/6 and the 7/9 series ... and i bought all of them for under R800 ... never had any trouble with them ... Also there is a brand call TICA ... i just bought a tiny one for my 2wt ... lovely little reel ... it has 4 ball bearings in it ... so smooooooth man ... am sure the bigger ones wil be as good ...

as for rods ... have a look at the Loomis and Franklin ... I saw the airstream series up here ... i mean it was goin for R200 but the rod was an IM6 graphite ... steel snake eyes ... wooden reel seat and had a decent action on it ... felt faster than my explorer guide ... but if u can afford it get the explorer guide ... the best thing about it is the warranty ...

seeing u r just starting off ... dont get a 9wt .. rather a 7wt which will handle almost all your fishing ... for one its much easier to fish with and u can cast whole day long ... with the 9wt and heavier u do get tired ... i personally use a 7wt for all of my gully, estuary and harbour fising ...

an intermediate line will handle most of your fishing needs from casting out flippers and baitfish patterns ... airflo is about your cheapest decent line u can get but there are some memory issues ... cortland and rio are a bit on the upper end but are worth it esp when u r going to use it for a long time ...

as for your backing get the gel spun backing line Tuffline or kingfisher braid ... cos it has low diameter u can load alot of it onto your reel compared to your normal dacron ...

Unfortunately up in Jhb but travel countrywide

Quote Originally Posted by beefybovril View Post
    Not too much time, but if I get a chance, where are the good spots around the Durban area? Any advice would be great.
    Hi Matt...

Please let me know where you will be based and I will give you a few options. Also decide on a price range for your outfit and I can offer a few suggestions.

Regards
    Sudesh

Default Hi Sudesh

howzit

Any information with regards to fishing news in Durbs will be highly appreciated. I heard from some guys that there are kingies, springer, scads and some salad fish in the harbour. These guys r fishing at the yacht club.

What about gullie fishing ? any news there ... i will most likely fish the spots at the bluff if it isnt too busy ... r shad around still ? there must be some pretty big fish around this part of the year ...

Guys, wow, thanks so much all the info and advice. Great to be able to use your experience on such a accessible forum. If you are interested in what is happening here in the UAE with regards to salt water flyfishing, have a look at http://www.sportfishinguae.piczo.com/?cr=5&rfm=y
    Good group of guys fishing more and more and catching some good stuff.

Tight lines

Matt Cocks

Unfortunately up in Jhb but travel countrywide

Quote Originally Posted by Hariram View Post
    howzit

Any information with regards to fishing news in Durbs will be highly appreciated. I heard from some guys that there are kingies, springer, scads and some salad fish in the harbour. These guys r fishing at the yacht club.

What about gullie fishing ? any news there ... i will most likely fish the spots at the bluff if it isnt too busy ... r shad around still ? there must be some pretty big fish around this part of the year ...
    Hi Reveck...

Your part of the world is fishing very well at the moment. Give that area a bash. Should be worth it.

Regards
    Sudesh