Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CDC Feathers

Default CDC Feathers

I would like to know where you guys by your CDC feathers and which brands do you prefer ?

I normally buy the Spirit River ones from Frontier. They seem ok for what I need. Not sure how they compare to some of the other ones like Jean Petijean (sp) etc etc.

Hi there John

I primarily use three brands of CDC.

The first and possibly the most affordable are Swiss - CDC. This is a company that produces CDC as a by product to their main business of producing foie gras (?). The CDC sells for about 6.50 Euros per one gram. Quite good and the packets contain a mixture of all size feathers.

Benniche CDC is only available from shops in JHB. The quality is absolutely brilliant and you get a choice of different size feathers. It is a bit pricey at about sixty bucks per packet, but every feather is of a consistently good quality.

The last brand is the Hends CDC. This is available from Sean at Flywaters. The quality is very good, but there is only one size feathers available. The choice of colours are also a little limited, but the price is good at about R45 per packet.

Feathers to avoid are the CDC puffs. I would almost say that you should avoid all other brands.

Good feathers has a high density of fibres with fairly thin and straight stalks. The different sized feathers are important for patterns such as the Arppo or any pattern where the feather is palmered. This is similar to standard dry fly hackling where the feather should match the hook size. You can get past this problem by forming CDC hackle loops like Marc Pettitjean uses.

thanks MC

foie gras (goose liver) is used for cooking - very expensive

Thanks John

I was not sure of the spelling. Producing the stuff is a cruel process whereby the ducks are force fed in order to increase the fat content of their livers. This high fat content sets the stuff apart from regular duck liver. The advantage for the CDC is that it also retains a higher fat content (sales pitch?) and thereby it floats better.

The floatation or the reason why CDC floats well is another topic on its own, but it is more than likely the feather structure rather than the oils in the feathers.

I mentioned the foie gras because some guys might object to using their feathers because of the methods used by the company.

Cheers
    MC

Default Cdc

Keith brought me CDC from the UK. Compared to what I have seen in the shops to date, your best bet is to import directly. There are a few producers in France and the rest of Europe. It may look exspensive but the packets are stuffed with high quality feathers. You also have the option of buying small puff and the colour range is big.

CDC is the byproduct of the very unfortunate industry, but very tasty (for yellowfish on Sterkies;-).BTW Foie Gras can be eaten raw, best with Klein Constantia Vin de Constance.

which CDC flies are your favourites for the cape streams

Hi John

I tend to fish #16 to #18 standard parachute patterns in dark colours almost exclusively.

I will however switch to CDC when there is a really strong head wind blowing. I ten fish a #16 pattern with split Coc de Leon tails, biot body and a CDC collar. This is a very simple pattern that collapses well when cast into the wind, yet it still presents perfectly.

On our rivers I find that the features changes too fast from pockets to glides to pools etc and the CDC does not like the pocket water. The flies don't float for long enough periods without needing treatment and the fish eat the standard patterns well enough. During the latter part of the season, when the fish are more tightly packed in the slightly deeper water, I will fish CDC more because of the better presentation.

Hallo MC

Het jy miskien 'n foto van hierdie vlieg ?

John

Ek sal moet gaan kyk. Sal voor Maandag 'n plan probeer maak.

MC

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast