Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Clouser - Flats style SBS

Default Clouser - Flats style SBS

Hi there

The clouser was originaly developed for smallmouth bass and this is propably still the best fly for them, but it has evolved into a fish killing machine and has caught most saltwater fish. The original was tied with bucktail that was folded over the the bumbell eyes and tied to the hook shank. The flats style clouser has all the materials on the "top" of the hook.

Hook: Gammagatsku SL12S (or any hook you prefer in size 2 - 10/0 depending on target fish)
    Tread: Spook Tread, this gives a durable finish to the fly.
    Wing: flash blend / Deadly Dazzle or bucktail
    Flash: Flashabou / chrystal flash
    Dumbell eyes: to match fly and hook

This fly can be tied in any colour that you like and it will most propably catch you a fish. But I have found Chartreuse over white to be the best combination for saltwater fish.
    The hook used in the SBS is a 1/0

Step one:

Add the tread on the shank about 1/3 of the way

Step Two:

Next add the dumbell eye and secure with figure off 8 wraps. Make sure your eyes are in the middle and is not leaning to one side, as this will cause the fly to swim on its side.

Step Three:

Turn you hook upside down in the vice as you will be tying all your materials on the bottom of the hook.

Step Four:

Add the wing and secure with tight wraps of tread. Here I have done it with Flashblend and with bucktail.

Photography Rules!
    www.dewaldkirsten.co.za

Step Five:

Add the next part of the wing. With the synthetic material I like to tie it in double length and fold it back onto the othe section. I add about 3 - 4 strands of flash(this is up to the tyer). This will form a natural lateral line that is very prominent in baitfish.

Step Six:

Whip finish and varnish.

Final products

Step Seven:

Catch some fish

Photography Rules!
    www.dewaldkirsten.co.za

Guys

This has been my first SBS and hopefully not my last. I am open for any crit.
    Photography Rules!
    www.dewaldkirsten.co.za

Very good , nice patterns and great photography. Will tie some myself.

Dave
    Handle every situation like a dog.- If you cant hump it, piss on it and walk away. --JASPER.

Well done Deewy! Nice to see the Saltwater section filling up!
    "So here’s my point. Don’t go and get your ego all out of proportion because you can tie a fly and catch a fish that’s dumb enough to eat a car key.." - Louis Cahill - Gink and Gasoline

Hi Deewy

Thanks for sharing, just one thing try and reduce your file size. Each photos is about half a meg, takes long to download all the photos

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
    Hi Deewy

Thanks for sharing, just one thing try and reduce your file size. Each photos is about half a meg, takes long to download all the photos

Cheers
    no problem pierre.

was bored and i had the pics so i thought i might as well share them.

thanks for the replies sofar guys
    Photography Rules!
    www.dewaldkirsten.co.za

Nice one dude, looks the goods to me.

My flyswap flies use exactly this procedure, only difference is that I use a thicker thread to tie with and finish the fly off with a coloured thread to match the head.

Oh ja, and with the bucktail, try cut them a tiny bit smaller so you don't get overhang towards the eye of the hook.

Love your work!

Nice SBS , thanks Deewy . Will tie some tonight and give a bash this weekend for shad
    "My biggest worry is that my wife (when I'm dead) will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it."

Thanks for sharing Deewy! Fantastic first effort! It's so cool to see other guys getting involved and sharing these patterns. At this rate, we're going to have the most awesome database of flies.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast