Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314

Thread: 'Yobs with blobs'

been a very interesting read i must say. every time i thought of agreeing with someones analysis....someone else came along with another great view. kev, you pretty summed it up there, as did another 6 guys. my point? maybe we just love this game so much that we type before we think....then it gets pear shaped. don't we have this scenario everytime the streams close
    i know the closure is only for us here in schlaapstadt, but seems rain and things cold are keeping people off the water for too long. i'm that kind of guy that nearing 46, i just want to have that moment that some of you talk about. that "breathe in the fresh air" moment and be able to say "thank goodness i'm alive". i hav'nt done the 20 fish even. but that one, always makes me happy. i doubt i'm ever going to be a numbers man. this thread has just shown how passionate we can become and we all take from fishing what we need. read it again...we all take from fishing what we need. all of us something different....all of us. i learn't a lot here.
    thanks
    Behold the fisherman. he riseth early in the morning and disturbeth the whole household. mighty are his preperations. he goes forth full of hope and when the day is ended, he returneth smelling of strong drink and the truth is not with him. originator unknown.

my stuff.... http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=824[/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by rols View Post
    that nearing 46, i just want to have that moment that some of you talk about. thanks
    Aaahh Mr Spring Chicken, methinks it's about time you spent some time with the Honourable Mr. Williams and myself on the Vaal, especially in winter from the Ark.
    Wading the Vaal in summer is not condusive (sp) to "enjoying the beauty and fruits of nature".
    It's not in the catching, it's in the learning something new.
    view albums at. http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=659

Quote Originally Posted by Herman Jooste View Post
    Aaahh Mr Spring Chicken, methinks it's about time you spent some time with the Honourable Mr. Williams and myself on the Vaal, especially in winter from the Ark.
    Wading the Vaal in summer is not condusive (sp) to "enjoying the beauty and fruits of nature".
    that ark got a cooler box? don't want animals jumping out 2 by 2 and making the beer frothy.....
    Behold the fisherman. he riseth early in the morning and disturbeth the whole household. mighty are his preperations. he goes forth full of hope and when the day is ended, he returneth smelling of strong drink and the truth is not with him. originator unknown.

that ark got a cooler box? don't want animals jumping out 2 by 2 and making the beer frothy.....
    The ARK as it's name implies can easily fit 2x2 cooler boxes
    Like Noah, who like ALL of you is one of my descendents, I know how to pack a boat

Quote Originally Posted by Herman Jooste View Post
    The ARK as it's name implies can easily fit 2x2 cooler boxes
    Like Noah, who like ALL of you is one of my descendents, I know how to pack a boat
    please noah, pencil me in....but put me under the "hops herder" category?

please noah, pencil me in....but put me under the "hops herder" category?
    All that is needed are some dates, of the Calender kind. The other kind we will sort you out with at Saloon 2000

Snotterbella Griet, Poef en drama.

This is a great thread, to get back to the topic.

There will always be some controversy regarding what constitutes a fly and what fits in with the "Art" of fly fishing.

In my opinion it is about what works for you, blobs work for me. Quite often the blob is part of a team of flies and not intended to be the primary fly in the leader setup, as Grant mentioned. I fish a blob for most part as the top dropper, the blob pulls the fish in from a distance. Trout are very inquisitive and also aggressive, which means the blob will catch its share of fish when the trout are in the right mood.

The more natural patterns behind the blob will be presented to the fish from whichever angle the fish approaches. The blob also sinks very slowly which is great when I want to hinge the leader with a tungsten pattern on the point and some neutral density, more natural pattern in the middle. This way the water column can be effectively covered when fishing a 15'+ leader length.

I like orange, peach, olive/black, black blobs, and aim to have some colour contrast between the flies in a specific leader setup.

Cheers and Peace,

Philip

Wiets Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by fish View Post
    Snotterbella Griet, Poef en drama. This is a great thread, to get back to the topic. There will always be some controversy regarding what constitutes ........................................... olive/black, black blobs, and aim to have some colour contrast between the flies in a specific leader setup. Cheers and Peace, Philip
    Now that MY guru has spoken, will there be any further "Snot, K@k en Hare"?

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314