Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: First Tying Bench

Just a thought on the VICE dilema.

I would buy the best vice that covers all my needs. I would leave the materials to last as its an ongoing thing.
    Keep in mind the fact that you may spend more time tying flies than actually fishing, if that is the case then why do we drop 1000's tackle but skimp on the VICE!

Now your thinking...

I started on a Regal imitation, as many did, and then upgraded to the Renzetti Traveler with a base plate, not the "C" clamp, as it allows you to tie anywhere, with out worring about it fitting. It also alows you to move your vice as and when you need to, like to take a pic in the sun, or just to get to more kit, or when ty'ing different fly's.

The upgrade was the best thing I did for my tying, the Traveler is a true rotory vice with sturdy jaws and a simple construction. I have spoken to quite a few people about their vice's and have found that, although they were initialy happy with either a J-Vice or a Dan-Vice, they felt that over the long term it did not live up to its rep...

There is another thread on this topic, I shall have a look for it...
    Mike McKeown

You're either fishing or waiting...

Eish, I've been having dreams about this particular vise lately :

Quote Originally Posted by ShaunF View Post

vise-plat.jpg
    Pretty vice!
    Last edited by dizzy; 19-12-06 at 11:57 AM.
    Daryl Human

The solution to any problem -- work, love, money, whatever -- is to go fishing, and the worse the problem, the longer the trip should be. --John Gierach

Max

I totally agree with you, it would be great to just go out and get a Renzetti straight off if you can afford it, the Regal vice imitations are only a couple hundred bucks so it’s not going to be too much of a train smash when you upgrade after a year.

Once vice I’m keen to see how it is rated is the new Snowbee Waldron vice at 185 pounds sterling, it’s still to new on the market for a real opinion on the vice to have been made. Lawrence Waldron (Law Vice fame) designed the vice for Snowbee and they are now manufacturing them, so it’s not hand built by Lawrence like the LAW vices but the quality is still suppose to be very good.
    Fly-fishing surpasses the need to actually catch a fish, it becomes a mindset, and with time, an obsession.

Lord,grant that I may catch a fish so big that even I,
    When speaking afterwards,
    May have no need to lie.
    Amen

Firstly, how the hell do you get that pic in there??

Secondly, MMmmmmm.... I agree, but it is too shiny for me, you know at my age my eyes need to be protected... and the pricing.

in that other thread I am looking for I said my mate has had his traveler for 20 years and it show little sign of wear and tear... awsome, and that is what got me...

http://www.renzetti.com/product.php?...cat=260&page=1
    Mike McKeown

Gareth,

I agree the Regal vise is a good place to start - it should cost you no more then about R250. On a related note, last week I stopped off at Upstream and had a look at the new Renzetti Presentation Cam 2000 Vise. A really awesome vise and a bit larger then the travellers which for people with large hands is a bonus. Only prob is the price which is around R3100 ! Still, a lot cheaper then the Master

Regards,
    Darryl
    “Apparently people don't like the truth, but I do like it; I like it because it upsets a lot of people. If you show them enough times that their arguments are bullshit, then maybe just once, one of them will say, 'Oh! Wait a minute - I was wrong.' I live for that happening. Rare, I assure you” ― Lemmy Kilmister

Reap the Whirlwind - WM

Paradise = A 3wt Rod & a fist full of someone else's #32 parachutes

Mike McKeown

LAW Vice??? Did someone say LAW Vice????

*drool*

Quote Originally Posted by ShaunF View Post

Shaun,

A very nice looking vice. My only problem with it is the jaws. I have used a Stealth Rotary for the last couple of years which also uses a thumb wheel to tighten the jaws. Having tied on a couple of Renzetti's, I prefer the cam jaws as they are much quicker to operate. Even my Regal is quicker to operate then the thumb wheel

Regards,
    Darryl
    “Apparently people don't like the truth, but I do like it; I like it because it upsets a lot of people. If you show them enough times that their arguments are bullshit, then maybe just once, one of them will say, 'Oh! Wait a minute - I was wrong.' I live for that happening. Rare, I assure you” ― Lemmy Kilmister

Reap the Whirlwind - WM

Paradise = A 3wt Rod & a fist full of someone else's #32 parachutes

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast