Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: TFO fly rods

Default TFO fly rods

Morning all

If I remember correctly I read on the old forum that some of you use the TFO fly rods? I am looking at building a 8# TiCr X as I really like the action on them, do any of you have any negative or positive thoughts on these rods? I read on one of the American forums that a number of people have had issues with the rods breaking/exploding during casting!!

Stephen

Quote Originally Posted by StephenL View Post
    Morning all

If I remember correctly I read on the old forum that some of you use the TFO fly rods? I am looking at building a 8# TiCr X as I really like the action on them, do any of you have any negative or positive thoughts on these rods? I read on one of the American forums that a number of people have had issues with the rods breaking/exploding during casting!!

Stephen
    I've got 2 of them , a 5# Tcir X and 3# Finness , I've have the 5# for about a year and it's still in good shape even after a good 30 days out on the water , the 3# has not had that much fishing time but I've still had no problems at all.

The nice thing about the TFO's is if you break a piece you can give Camron from optimax a call and he will replace it on the spot.

Bottom line is for the price it's a great fast action rod with great backup service.

hope it helps

ty

Cheers Ty

I agree on the price, the TiCrX blank is only $124. I am in the UK so its even better for me with the exchange rates.

Stephen

IF the rod explodes during casting it's probably cos it's been hit with the bead eyes of a big clouser or something.

I have only heard very good things about the TiCr-X rods but have never cast one. IF I were more into saltwater fishing and wanted a 9wt rod, this is probably the first one I would try and get hold of to cast before making a decision.

Are you sure it is not the TiCr blank that you are talking about? I wasn't aware that TFO sell the TiCr-X as a blank, unless it's a new thing. The TiCr blank is black whereas the TiCr-X blank is blue.

Yep definitly the TiCr X model, they have only been available since the beginning of November.

I fished with my 2 weight TFO on Saturday and the rod came apart on a longer cast. This is the third time this has happened to me. To counter the problem, I usually seat the ferules deeper together than I normally would with any of my other rods, but then I really battle to get the rod apart again at the end of my fishing. It is a great pity because apart from this little flaw, I really love the action of this rod.
    "Innocence is a wild trout. But we humans, being complicated, have to pursue innocence in complex ways" - Datus Proper

Chris, I had the same issue with a little 3wt Stealth rod I have. Something I have found to prevent ferrules slipping during the day, yet still allowing them to be easily separated at the end of the day is to take a little bit of "Swax" low tack dubbing wax on your finger and rub it onto the male end of the ferrule. Seriously though, you only need a very small amount. This is a low tack, soft wax that never goes hard and sticky. What is does though is create a seal inside the ferrule so they don't slip.

I do this to all my rods now and none of them slip. In my mind, the easiest ways to damage a ferrule are to seat them too deeply, or have them slip while casting.

Quote Originally Posted by StephenL View Post
    Morning all

Stephen
    hi Stephen,

i've got the TFO 6wt TiCr. i use it for both stillwater and saltwater fishing and it's been superb. i'm considering getting a second one as backup - in case i put a fly through the tip

at some stage i'm going to look at building an 8/9wt rod - and i'll use TFO blanks. no question.
    the patient mental...

Quote Originally Posted by ShaunF View Post
    Chris, I had the same issue with a little 3wt Stealth rod I have. Something I have found to prevent ferrules slipping during the day, yet still allowing them to be easily separated at the end of the day is to take a little bit of "Swax" low tack dubbing wax on your finger and rub it onto the male end of the ferrule. Seriously though, you only need a very small amount. This is a low tack, soft wax that never goes hard and sticky. What is does though is create a seal inside the ferrule so they don't slip.

I do this to all my rods now and none of them slip. In my mind, the easiest ways to damage a ferrule are to seat them too deeply, or have them slip while casting.
    Thanks for the tip Shaun
    "Innocence is a wild trout. But we humans, being complicated, have to pursue innocence in complex ways" - Datus Proper

Quote Originally Posted by ShaunF View Post

Shaun,

Do you not find that by using Swax you are more likely to pick up grit etc adhering to the wax and later forming a grinding paste ? Candle wax is less "sticky" and less likely to cause this problem. Whatever works I guess.

Rgds,
    Darryl
    “Apparently people don't like the truth, but I do like it; I like it because it upsets a lot of people. If you show them enough times that their arguments are bullshit, then maybe just once, one of them will say, 'Oh! Wait a minute - I was wrong.' I live for that happening. Rare, I assure you” ― Lemmy Kilmister

Reap the Whirlwind - WM

Paradise = A 3wt Rod & a fist full of someone else's #32 parachutes

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast