Thread: Blactail on Fly

Question Blactail on Fly

Hi all,

On a recent trip to the brede river mouth I spent some time in the water with a pair of goggles. It is amazing to see the rich fish life under the water. In some of the deeper gullies there were a lot of small to medium blacktails (Kolstert) scientific name: Diplodus sargus capensis.

What is the best way to target them on fly? And which flies are best to use?

Thanks for the info!

Hi there

A couple of years ago I fished in Angola and here the Blacktail just could not leave a big Clouser alone. On a fast strip it was a Leerie or an Elf and on a slower strip the Blacktail got to the fly.

Locally I would reccommend smallish #2 Gotcha's in Pink or Chartreuse over white.

Enjoy.

MC

Thanks MC - makes sense - I would immigine that any shrimp immitation would work well?

Don’t be scared of fishing really small flies, I know some of the guys go right down to size #14 hooks when targeting gully species like stone bream, flagtails etc on the KZN coast.

What also works if there aren’t too much shad around is to fish a small fly rigged NZ style off a slightly larger pattern, kind of improve the odds of gettign something.

Not sure about blacktail but some of the other gully species respond quiet well when you slow down you retrieve to a crawl, you only retrieve fast enough o keep contact with you line in the wash.
    Fly-fishing surpasses the need to actually catch a fish, it becomes a mindset, and with time, an obsession.

Lord,grant that I may catch a fish so big that even I,
    When speaking afterwards,
    May have no need to lie.
    Amen

Any small shrimp patterns and little charlies work well down in the PE region- I caught one this morning after taking a mate to do some rock and surf fishing. I got bored after losing a musselcracker and started throwing redbait into a gulley- and the blacktail were everywhere. I threw a small mud charlie and caught one after missioning for quite a while. Want to try with little worm patterns this week- but only if there are no leeries around this evening...

Well done Kevin! Lucky bugger!
    "Innocence is a wild trout. But we humans, being complicated, have to pursue innocence in complex ways" - Datus Proper

Thanks for the info - will let you know if it worked for me!