Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Rod for cape streams

Default Rod for cape streams

I am in the market for a new small stream rod. 2-3 weight.
    My budget is not that big. I am looking at a Vision or TFO. Which of the two would recommend.
    What length would you see ideal for the Cape streams?

Between Vision and TFO ?

TFO ! TFO ! TFO ! TFO ! TFO ! TFO ! TFO ! TFO ! TFO ! TFO !

"Hierdie drol het baie vlieë" - Ago 2014.

I have the vision and is happy with it. Dont know which TFO you are looking at, but the one I looked at were too soft compared to the vision for me.

Quote Originally Posted by JAG View Post
    I am in the market for a new small stream rod. 2-3 weight.
    My budget is not that big. I am looking at a Vision or TFO. Which of the two would recommend.
    What length would you see ideal for the Cape streams?
    the best advice i can give you is this:

head off to your local fly fishing shop and go and test out the rods you're interested in. i know that sean at flywaters allows you to take the rod to a nearby field and cast. at least this way you can get a decent feel for the rod. you might find that you don't like either of them!

also, have a look at the explorer guide series. i fish with the 3wt 7'6" rod and i think it's great value for money
    2c
    the patient mental...

Quote Originally Posted by dpammenter View Post
    the best advice i can give you is this:

head off to your local fly fishing shop and go and test out the rods you're interested in. i know that sean at flywaters allows you to take the rod to a nearby field and cast. at least this way you can get a decent feel for the rod. you might find that you don't like either of them!

also, have a look at the explorer guide series. i fish with the 3wt 7'6" rod and i think it's great value for money
    2c
    Yup, very good advice to go and try them and see if they fit your casting style. A rod between 7'6" and 8'6" should be fine - I prefer 8' - 8'6" as the extra length helps when high sticking and aids line control.

Regards,
    Darryl Lampert
    “Apparently people don't like the truth, but I do like it; I like it because it upsets a lot of people. If you show them enough times that their arguments are bullshit, then maybe just once, one of them will say, 'Oh! Wait a minute - I was wrong.' I live for that happening. Rare, I assure you” ― Lemmy Kilmister

Reap the Whirlwind - WM

Paradise = A 3wt Rod & a fist full of someone else's #32 parachutes

Quote Originally Posted by dlampert View Post
    I prefer 8' - 8'6" ...
    Darryl,

which brand of rod makes this length in a 3wt?
    the patient mental...

Quote Originally Posted by dpammenter View Post
    Darryl,

which brand of rod makes this length in a 3wt?
    Devlin (I think),

I have 3wt Ecotecs in 7'6",8',8'6" and 9'. These aren't made anymore but some of the shops still have stock. Sage make 3wt's up to 9', the new Zaxis is awesome but I suspect more suited to the EC rivers. TFO make a 8'6" in the Pro series and perhaps others. Stealth, Horizon and Explorer also make rods in these lengths. I am sure you will find others.

Regards,
    Darryl
    “Apparently people don't like the truth, but I do like it; I like it because it upsets a lot of people. If you show them enough times that their arguments are bullshit, then maybe just once, one of them will say, 'Oh! Wait a minute - I was wrong.' I live for that happening. Rare, I assure you” ― Lemmy Kilmister

Reap the Whirlwind - WM

Paradise = A 3wt Rod & a fist full of someone else's #32 parachutes

I am currently using an Explorer Guide Series 3WT 7'9 on the streams and I love the rod. I would recommend this rod but you should first go to your local fly shop and cast all the different rods before you make your choice.

Ja John - When casting your Guide on saturday I really liked it too.

Albe - you know what you're gonna get from the Vision (cos you have one) but I would also suggest trying them out first. I saw a Vision 3wt at flywaters a short while back. Not sure if it is still there though. I am also looking at options for a new rod and I'm also thinking of the Vision and TFO Finesse in that price range.

I agree with Darryl

The length is very important. I would not even consider a rod shorter than 8'6. The only stream where a shorter rod might be an advantage is on the Holsloot where space is really limited. On all the other Cape streams the longer rods offer huge advantages because of line control.

Cheers
    MC

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast